Des Moines, IA - Yellow Banks Campground

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Des Moines, IA - Yellow Banks Campground

This is a pretty little county park, actually about 10 minutes from the Fairgrounds just minutes from Altoona, IA, and unless you're headed to points in West Des Moines (or farther west), about 15 minutes away from the things you'll want to do.

The drawback to this campground is that it's electric only, with water in two places, one on each loop (there is a dump station). So we camped in site 7, same site we were in back in 2014 (only certain sites are reservable), close enough to the water hook-up so that we could get it when we needed more. Sites 19 and 20 are nice sites too, and close enough to hook up, but are not reservable.

We stayed here because it's so close to the kids' house, and Dan doesn't mind running the blue boy when needed. Cost - $23/night.

We also hit an all-time record on the black tank (3 weeks and 2 days!). But to be fair, we weren't around much.

There is a two-week limit, and he didn't give me much grief (since we were from out of town) about changing the name on the reservation so we could stay longer. But now we know, and we won't be able to get away with it again.

I'm sure I took a picture, but I don't see it in my Des Moines folder. So I'll check my phone later today.

Zerelda

Dan & Zerelda Hammer
    Pensacola, FL
    SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
    2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

The state park at Lake Poinsett is 30Amp only. The water must be hauled in and the sewage hauled out. Since the current is not reliable any more, we don't stay out there. WE are at the city campground in Estelline where we have full hookups and 50A.

Comment

Our site at Yellow Banks in Des Moines
      Dan & Zerelda Hammer
      Pensacola, FL
      SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
      2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

Working...
      X