Fort Boonesborough State Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fort Boonesborough State Park

We just spent a relaxing week at Fort Boonesborough State Park. The park is really pretty.

We had 50 amp service, and I understand that they actually have sites with sewer, but we weren't one of those lucky ones. Most of the sites are just electric & water. Bring extra hose. Depending on the site you're in, the water might be a little far away. We used our 50 & 25 ft hoses to reach our hook-up. Some, however, we next to the site where you would expect to find them.

The sites are paved, varying in length, and from level to not so much.

They have a nice game room, and the restrooms/showers, while not spotless, are clean. They have a nice little playground that's about in the center of the campground, and a simple miniature golf course.

We were there over Camper Appreciation Weekend, and the campground was FULL. They had activities planned, and we got to use our vehicle pass to get into the Fort for free ($8 regular), which was a nice way to spend the afternoon.

Our GPS took us right to the turn-off to the park, but we saw the sign for the Fort Entrance first. Don't be tempted to turn in there (we didn't - whew!). When you turn into the park, slow down before making your turn. The turn is very sharp, and you really can't see who's coming up to the intersection until you get your front end around the corner.

There is a nice foot path (mostly uphill) that leads from across the road from the campground to the Fort, and a shorter paved path that is 1/2 mile uphill. Both are very nice. But the foot path is a little slippery in places after a good rain.

The only negative thing I can say is that there are about a dozen stray cats that stay around the dumpster by the rec center, and wander the campground. We asked about them, but we were told there was nothing they could do about it. It seems to me that if campers are required to show proof of vaccinations (if asked - and some do), and to pick up after their pets, that they wouldn't want the cats uncared for and leaving their "business" around the campground. But what do I know...

It was the strangest thing --- despite all of the people there, the park was very quiet. We expected a lot of noise over the weekend.

The campground is just about 10-15 minutes away from a Kroger's, Wal-Mart, Lowe's, and some chain restaurants.

We got a senior discount, and we got to take advantage of the appreciation weekend rates (three nights for the price of two). FYI - if you're planning a trip there around this time next year, they are already 30% booked for next year's appreciation weekend.

The first two pictures are taken from the front of our site in two directions. The last one is from the section up by the office.

A very good week, indeed.

Zerelda
    Attached Files
    Dan & Zerelda Hammer
    Pensacola, FL
    SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
    2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500
Working...
X