Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carter Caves

Kentucky State Parks - Home

We have always had a hard time getting into Carter caves b/c we have always been a wait and see family. But this year we made advanced plans for a friends birthday camp trip to the park. Being unfamiliar with the campground we ended up on a site that was unlevel (86). We had our nose in the air and our tail tucked in tight. The campground while peaceful even at total full capacity had a few drawbacks. The water pressure was weak. The water its self was dirty. (we never cook with hook up water anyways) The power was spot on even for all the sites being full. Another drawback was that they allowed each site as many tents that they were able to fit and this made things very crowded even tho they state max veh at 2 they did not follow up on that... made a few turns super tight w/o a camper on the truck.

They have a great pool set up even tho its a steep hill ride down from the campground. They also have a lodge/hotel that serves dinner (altho we did not eat there)

Check in is at 1pm, for most people this isn't a problem but they do have a steady stream out outgoing campers till at least the 2:00 time frame and if you meet in either of the tight turns it can get a bit close to rubbing bumpers with mirrors.

Thankfully this year they have moved the skunk population away from the campground. It use to be a regular thing for the campground to be covered in the haze of a skunk fog. We didn't encounter any stink what so ever this weekend.

While I didn't get any photos I did find my camera but the battery was dead.

They have several sites that are full hook up (those along the incoming road side). While most of the others on the RV sites are just electric and water. They also have a large permeative area for tents only.

They have horses for local trail riding and put put golf. They also hosted glow in the dark put-put on sat night. It was fun to see that.

This park is really close to home for us and seams like it will be a great local campground. (if we get a better spot next time)
    08 sunny brook sunset creek 341SRD -sold after several years of amazing memories
    2014 Open Range 397fbs. For the next stage of camping.
    2008 Ford F-450 King Ranch.
    hoping to make memories that last a lifetime, and shared over the campfire.

In season this park is overcrowded and usually a lower redneck crowd with huge numbers per site. It overloads the park as well as all the facilities. Full hookups is something new since I was last there.

I thought I told you not to go there. Grayson Lake is a much better park. I will go to Carter Caves in the off season only.

I am going to Yatesville this week. I haven't been there before but will give review when I get back. Should be slow there as school returns for many this week.

I had to call the CG before I reserved because they listed most all sites under 30 ft vehicle length. That as I suspected was just the pad size and didn't include the driveway and they told me no problem with my 35 ft TT.
    greg

2014 Ford Super Duty Diesel Platinum Package Tuxedo black
    2014 Landmark Grand Canyon 39 ft.
    Andersen Hitch

Comment

Greg we have a friend that loves yatesville. He always has to make two trips up and back b/c he always takes his boat.

Totally understand the over crowded bit about CC. Seeing as it was the birthday parties pick I couldn't pick differently. It was also a bad weekend as it was the rt 60 yard sale/flea market event I stayed poolside for fridays trip and in the camper with a good book on Sat. Those types of things just annoy me.

We have been trying all season to get a weekend in at Greenbo lake with no luck. Seams like everyone wants to go the weekends we want to go.

BTW Call and double check your inbound route to the campground, When we had our last really bad storm we herd rumblings that a road was washed out around that area. We stay just a few miles away from Yatesville at the Falls campground. Nothen' special there except friends that we camp with.
      08 sunny brook sunset creek 341SRD -sold after several years of amazing memories

Comment

Another "NO" vote against this park.

Luckily, we arrived on Thursday and were able to take advantage of the lower occupancy to negotiate the Sabre into position. The site we had (79) was very narrow. The fire ring (which is anchored to the ground) is positioned so that it is directly beneath the edge of the awning. So, we could have the awning out or a fire but not both. Thursday night we used the fire ring from the adjacent vacant site.

We toured caves Friday (which was very nice but cost $51 for the 3 of us) and upon our return were surrounded by folks. It was full... and Greg is right about the clientele. The site next to us was full of tents with one set up within 18" or so of the front of our Sabre. Thankfully, this tent was down when I pulled out or I could have assisted them in taking it down. It would have ended up as a flag on the side of our rig.

The sites are fairly small, there are many trees in the way, and several sites are not level. One of the biggest issues with the park is that water and electrical service are in excess of 50' in many sites.

There is a pool but it is a long walk, far removed from the campground. We found it to be full of locals, which is fine but just know that it will be crowded. Miniature golf was nice, although not especially challenging. They did have glow in the dark golf on Saturday night. There is a stable for horses where you can rent theirs or you can bring your own and camp at the horseman's camp. I would never pay to ride a horse but I talked to someone who spent about $100 for his 2 kids to take a short ride. There is a small lake but access is limited to small vehicles (read: Jeeps) carrying canoes.

The camp hosted several activities (some free, some for a fee) that included a scavenger hunt, canoeing, glow in the dark golf, rolling clay pots, and hand cranking homemade ice-cream. We made the most of it and did enjoy ourselves but the camping sites are inferior to the state parks of Ohio that we have visited such as Rocky Fork, Paint Creek, Deer Creek, Cowan Lake, and East Fork.
        Last edited by Joker; 06-10-2014, 08:03 PM.
        Comments above this line are rooted in humor..take it easy.

2013 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn
        2006 Dodge Ram 2500 (now farm use)
        2000 Sunnybrook 26 FK (memories only)
        2011 Sabre 31RLDS
        sigpic

Comment

We have not been back to this campground to camp. We did swing by on the off season to see "renovations" people talked up. I didn't see anything special.
          I've been disappointed in the upgrades they have made with funding. But that goes in the tristate parts not just ky. I guess mowers are needed more then upgrades to the parks themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X