Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Montana recomendations (personal not web pages)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montana recomendations (personal not web pages)

looking for campgrounds with water and electric preferred that will take a trailer between Glendive, Montana and St. Mary (Glacier) via Wolf Point

also looking for potential stops to come back from St. Mary to say Billings without going along the interstate which goes out of the way.

Any personal recomendations?

Also what about the roads coming back south and east any to avoid?

We stayed at Yellowstone River RV Park, Billings, MT years ago.

Typical commercial RV Park. Very clean. Sites close together.

I would stay there again.
    Russell
    '13 Excel Winslow 34IKE
    '16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
    Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS;
    '01 Sunnybrook 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah

Comment

Originally posted by whereigo View Post
      looking for campgrounds with water and electric preferred that will take a trailer between Glendive, Montana and St. Mary (Glacier) via Wolf Point

also looking for potential stops to come back from St. Mary to say Billings without going along the interstate which goes out of the way.

Any personal recomendations?

Also what about the roads coming back south and east any to avoid?
      We stopped at Lake Fort Peck, a Corps. of Engineer campground, and camped just below the dam. I think it was called the Down Stream Campground. It was a very nice place plus a nice surprise was a free dinosour museum there beside the campground. In the main lobby a life size, fleshed-out model of Peck's Rex, the Tyrannosaurus Rex and other dinosaur fossils are also on exhibit from their dig to make the dam.

Don
      Don & Kay
      2004.5 Dodge Ram Cummins, 04 Mobile Scout Solanta 2726
      sigpic
      Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

the Billings KOA is the original one and is one of the best we have ever visited .... easy off/on the interstate .... if we are ever back in that area, we wouldn't hesitate to camp there again

Jim
        Jim
        '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
        '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

You're talking about along Hwy 2. I've only been to Glacier from the west on Hwy 2, so I can't make any camping recommendations to the east, but if the highway to the east is anything like the highway from the west, it's a gorgeous drive and great roads for towing.

Sounds like a trip I'd love to make.
          Tim, wife Beverly, & two boys who love RV'ing
          2005 Sunnybrook 30FKS Dual Cam HP
          2002 Suburban K2500 8.1L 4.10 Prodigy

Comment

Originally posted by tluxon View Post
            You're talking about along Hwy 2. I've only been to Glacier from the west on Hwy 2, so I can't make any camping recommendations to the east, but if the highway to the east is anything like the highway from the west, it's a gorgeous drive and great roads for towing.

Sounds like a trip I'd love to make.
            On our Alaska trip, heading west, we took Hwy 2 all the way from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan to the west entrance of Glacier in Montana. On the return trip we came down from Alberta into Washington and took Hwy 2 east. I love the drive on Hwy 2. Mainly four lane, some two lane. Not interstate. You still get to go through small towns. Plenty of campgrounds along the way. As our normal method of traveling, no reservations. We never had a problem geting a campsite.
            sigpic2012 Ford F350,
            Lariat Crew Cab,
            6.7 Powerstroke,
            2014 Heartland Big Country 2950RK
            Hensley BD3 5th wheel hitch
            2002 SunnyBrook 27FKS (sold)
            Hensley Arrow (traded in)

Comment

+1 for Billings KOA. Very nice and very clean. Be aware, however, that they don't recycle.

2012 Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2701SS > ProPride 3P 1400 > 2013 F150 FX4 Supercrew Ecoboost
              www.restcure.ca

illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

2X at Ft Peck

Originally posted by D & K View Post
                We stopped at Lake Fort Peck, a Corps. of Engineer campground, and camped just below the dam. I think it was called the Down Stream Campground. It was a very nice place plus a nice surprise was a free dinosour museum there beside the campground. In the main lobby a life size, fleshed-out model of Peck's Rex, the Tyrannosaurus Rex and other dinosaur fossils are also on exhibit from their dig to make the dam.

Don

Comment

thank you for the replies, keep them coming !

Comment

We have been at Dick's RV Park in Great Falls for the last 4 days--sitting out a snowy/rainy/cold spell before heading for Glacier. If GFalls is on your route, I recommend it for an overnight or a longer stay. Very clean, lots of pet grass areas. About $33/night after GSam discount.
                    Joe
                    '05 36 TK3 Mobiles Suites
                    '09 F450 4x4--put out to pasture
                    '10 F450 4x4--new to me
                    First wife, back to 3 Yorkies
                    Livin to go campin
                    In the past: SB 26FK; 30FKS

Comment

WE stayed on the East side of Glacier last year for about 10 days, we stayed at Johnson's RV park,sort of small but great views and close to park . There is also a KOA there but can't recall the name....we had to wait several days for the Road to the Sun to open, snowed in... We liked the east side better, great hiking and scenery is better IMO anyways. West side is more commercial and crowded but still worth it. We stayed at American RV park on the west side( I think that was the name anyways) it was a few miles from park entrance)
                      WE brought kayaks and paddled the lakes in the area, great scenery..We also did some white water rafting on the Flathead....that was REAL fun..
                      If you go i strongly suggest the ranger led hikes, very informative...get some bear spray too.

1. picture of Grizzly with cubs, 2. fog and snow at range station Road to the sun (ranger station was covered in snow!) 3. Moose at Grinnel Glacier hike.
                      Attached Files
                      sigpic
                      PAULA AND GARY

2014 Phaeton 40 QBH
                      2015 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4

Comment

Working...
                      X