St Mary KOA at Glacier NP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Mary KOA at Glacier NP

We are staying here for 6 nights. A very nice campground. Less than one mile from park entrance (Going-to-the-sun Road). Heated pool, big laundry, can buy pancakes in morning ($4 for all-you-can-eat), burgers and BBQ chicken in evening, and fresh made pizza made on site thick with toppings. Both the Red Bus and enclosed bus tours pick up at the campground. Everything in St Mary is a little more expensive since the Blackfeet charge their own sales tax in addition to all the "usual" fees. Caution: if towing a trailer, use route 464 for access, not route 89! I, along with a number of other people I've spoken with, found this out after we arrived. The last 22 miles of 89 are more than interesting. Thanks RV760LMT, for nothing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
    2013 Ford F250 6.7 PS Diesel Lariat Crew

Oh yes, I remember that road very well!
    We came down that on our way home from Alaska in 2004 and it is narrow and very curvey to say the least. You certainly can't make any time driving on it. We thought Montana just had it in for us. Our entire rig was Xrayed when we came across the border from Canada. I asked the border patrol officer what they expected to find and he just said "Anything extra".

There is a road into the park at Babb north of St Mary where we saw quite a few Mountain Goats up on the cliffs. You will need good binoculars or a spotting scope.

John
    LaPorte, Colorado
    2003 F250 Superduty 6.0 Diesel, Auto - 2004 Sunnybrook Solanta 2816 - 2004 Brakesmart - 2006 Hensley Arrow

To be Old and Wise, You Must First be Young and Stupid!

Don't do something permanently stupid just because you're temporarily upset!

Comment

I know I won't forget that road for a l-o-n-g time. And don't get me started on US-Canada-US. We wanted to visit the park in Canada while we are here. We can still travel to Canada with a photo ID and a birth certificate. But now I find we need a Passport to be able to return to the US. This at the northern boarder and the absolute joke at the southern. Me thinks this country is being run by complete mental midgets (no offense intended to midgets).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by FoxFanRay View Post
        I know I won't forget that road for a l-o-n-g time. And don't get me started on US-Canada-US. We wanted to visit the park in Canada while we are here. We can still travel to Canada with a photo ID and a birth certificate. But now I find we need a Passport to be able to return to the US. This at the northern boarder and the absolute joke at the southern. Me thinks this country is being run by complete mental midgets (no offense intended to midgets).
        :agree:

John
        LaPorte, Colorado
        2003 F250 Superduty 6.0 Diesel, Auto - 2004 Sunnybrook Solanta 2816 - 2004 Brakesmart - 2006 Hensley Arrow

To be Old and Wise, You Must First be Young and Stupid!

Don't do something permanently stupid just because you're temporarily upset!

Comment

Originally posted by FoxFanRay View Post
          ...This at the northern border and the absolute joke at the southern. Me thinks this country is being run by complete mental midgets (no offense intended to midgets)...
          We have a friend at our winter park in FL who lives in Canada but is a British subject. He got the third degree at the northern border coming into the U.S. He was told he could only stay for 3 months because he's British. His name is Peter. I've told him he should change his name to Pedro so he could stay as long as he likes and get free stuff.

Glad you included the no offense to midgets. I have a friend who is not officially a "little person" but he is vertically challenged or height impaired.
          Last edited by BC Jim; 08-11-2016, 04:45 AM.
          Jim & Delores
          2005 30RKFS
          2005 2500HD D/A 4WD ext cab long box
          Jordan Ultima

INEPTOCRACY: a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Comment

The passport requirement for Canada and Mexico has been in force for quite a few years. We happen to live just north of Canada, so we carry ours in case we want to pop across the border. The strong dollar can get us some bargains, until you add in all of Canada's taxes.
            sigpic2012 Ford F350,
            Lariat Crew Cab,
            6.7 Powerstroke,
            2014 Heartland Big Country 2950RK
            Hensley BD3 5th wheel hitch
            2002 SunnyBrook 27FKS (sold)
            Hensley Arrow (traded in)

Comment

Everyone has different ideas about KOAs--I just happen to be biased against them as overpriced for what is delivered. We stayed at the St. Mary KOA just after you were there--I would not stay there again. We were given terribly unlevel spots--all 3 couples had problems with leveling their units. As to the price--$69 is very high, to my thinking. I agree the amenities for families are pretty good. Obviously, lots of people like it, as they were pretty filled up, and we wouldn't have been able to stay without reservations.
              All 3 couples arrived via Hwy 89 and did not think it was too bad--would do it again if coming in from Canada and going to East Glacier.
              Going up into Canada on first entry was the only hassle we got--we crossed the borders 9 different times and the all but the first went very easy.
              Joe
              '05 36 TK3 Mobiles Suites
              '09 F450 4x4--put out to pasture
              '10 F450 4x4--new to me
              First wife, back to 3 Yorkies
              Livin to go campin
              In the past: SB 26FK; 30FKS

Comment

We also stayed at the St. Mary KOA. I'm also biased against KOA for the same reasons. To me a successful trip is not having stayed at a KOA. But we did. Extremely overpriced for the quality of the sites. My Progressive Industries electrical management system kept shutting my power off because of low voltage. They sent a maintenance man out but he pretty much told me that their was nothing he could do, the park was full and everybody was running there air. Never again.
                Last edited by MikeR; 09-06-2016, 04:07 AM. Reason: Changed Progressive Dynamics to Progressive Industries
                sigpic2012 Ford F350,
                Lariat Crew Cab,
                6.7 Powerstroke,
                2014 Heartland Big Country 2950RK
                Hensley BD3 5th wheel hitch
                2002 SunnyBrook 27FKS (sold)
                Hensley Arrow (traded in)

Comment

MikeR,
                  Apparently, there are lots of people who don't agree with us---but even one of our own group with a MH about 2' up in the front, on blocks to get level, accepted the off-level site as he found out he could order a pizza from the kitchen delivered to his site....
                  Nothing to do with KOA, but it rained tons on us the 2nd night and we woke up to dense fog in the morning. We cut our visit to 2 days instead of the original 4 we planned--just couldn't take the crowd/cost, but the other couples stayed the 4 days.
                  Next night, we dry-camped south of Butte, then went into Dillon to a perfectly nice, quiet RV park, level sites w/trees and grass, for $36. Then on to Ennis and another really nice park for again $36.
                  Joe
                  '10 F450 4x4--new to me
                  Livin to go campin

Comment

I need to make a couple of comments, about my comments.
                    First, I (along with a lot of other people, since they were full every night for the week) stayed at the KOA in St Mary, since that is the campground where I could get a reservation for a full hookup 50 amp site. We wanted to base our week at Glacier in St Mary, and there were not many choices at the time we decided to travel there. I'm not a fan of KOA either, but I would not cancel my trip just because that was my only option of where to stay. I'm sorry others had issues there, but my power management system never shut off the power, and I had a level site. Also, everything in St Mary is very, VERY expensive (in my opinion), not just the KOA fees. I paid over $4.00 for a small tube of toothpaste in the local grocery store!

Second, I should have been more clear about Route 89. I'm speaking of approaching St Mary from the south. I traveled a LONG way on route 89, and it was all good road until the last 22 miles approaching St Mary from the south. Those 22 miles are a completely different road than the stretches of the road both north and south of that area (free range cattle wandering on the road, no shoulders (not even a foot of shoulder), steep and high drop-offs within a foot the road, with many, many curves). The others I talked with at the campground felt the same as I did. If I've misled anyone about route 89, I apologize, but I personally would NEVER drive that section of road again towing a long trailer, but that is just me. I considered it extremely hazardous.

Comment

Need to comment on my comments, also...did not mean to come on so strong against what anyone else does/likes/stays.
                      I guess I am just too passionate about disliking the KOA system, or maybe just that I don't need a lot of what they offer. We tried the St. Mary NP campground, but they did not have any openings for 3 large units--and driving thru, that was the case. There were many more level sites--interesting that we got the unlevel ones? I would think it had something to do with our original 4-day reservation--other sites were taken by longer stays--don't know.
                      As to costs in St. Mary itself, we did not have to purchase anything in the little town, so don't know. I did have to go thru Babb to pick up forwarded mail, and that worked very well.
                      Wasn't thinking about 89 south, tho we did go that way home--I do remember it was a tough pull just out of town and there were cattle around.

Didn't I read somewhere that KOAs were going to be rated to place them in 3 different categories--super destination, regular destination, and overnight stay? Or something like that?

Joe
                      '10 F450 4x4--new to me
                      Livin to go campin

Comment

Working...
                      X