Glacier National Park and Canada -- August 14-18, 2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glacier National Park and Canada -- August 14-18, 2008

We drove up from Great Falls, MT to Glacier Meadows RV Park.

One of the interesting things about this area is that the east side of Glacier is the Blackfeet Reservation. The west side of Glacier is the Flathead Reservation. I had no idea these reservations covered so much area.

Anyways, back to Glacier meadows RV Park. This park is listed as being in East Glacier Park. It is actually about 15 miles west of east Glacier Park. It is a very picturesque park and I have included a couple of shots of the views out our windows. The bad thing about this park is that it was about 40 miles from the east entrance and about 45 miles from the west entrance. We did not know that when we made our reservations. It had good power 50 amp and water, but no sewer. They did have a pumpout service that you could sign up for if needed for the black water tank. In 12 years of rving, I have never been to a park that allowed the dumping of grey water onto the ground. This park did. We were there for 5 nights and thus had our waste water slinky hooked up and the gray water valve opened at all times. I really felt guilty about this but got over it. The cell phones did not work at this park but they did have pretty good WIFI as part of the package. The cost was $30 a night for everything.

As I said we spent 5 days/nights here and 3 days in the park, 1 day recovering from our days in the park, and 1 day we drove to Canada since we were so close.

We did the Two Medicine Lake area one day and the Going to the Sun road one day. The other day in the park was at the glacier that was in the north end of the park, however, it's name escapes me now. We had a great time seeing the sights of the park. The GTTS road was phenominal, but it was being reconstructed on the west side of Logan Pass so that made for some traffic backups and waits. The only downer of the park was the lack of being able to see wildlife. We say two deer in the Two Medicine area and that was it.

The trip to Canada was a kind of spur of the moment thing. We decided to go just to be able to say we went. We basically went up the east side of the park and kept on going. We crossed over and drove to the closest big city, had lunch and looked around a while, then came back. You can still get in with a birth certificate and an ID card. Our truck was thoroughly searched upon entering Canada because dumb me answered one of the guards questions with a sort of smart aleck answer. He asked if we had any firearms or ammunition with us. I answered truthfully "Not with us..... we left them at home." ha I guess that made him suspicious because he had us pull forward into the "garage" and then a female agent came out and asked if there was anything in the truck she needed to know about. I said "no, nothing." She proceeded to do about a 20 minute inspection of the truck's crannies and crevices. Then she was disappointed to not be able to find anything so she let us go. My wife was embarrassed by the search, but I thought it was funny. I guess I would not have been laughing if they had decided to do a body cavity search on us!! Anyways, we were glad to go to Canada, but were so glad to be back in the U.S. upon our return.

As far as pictures I've included in this report, I've tried to insert some shots of things that previous posters did not upload.

The next report will be our stops in Missoula and Dillon, MT.

Joezilla
    Attached Files
    Joe and Debbie Gilbert
    On the Road Fulltime Since 7/14/08

2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43' Atlanta fifth wheel home on wheels

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 4.10, Factory rear air suspension

Officially RETIRED!!
    Catch me if you can!!

Glacier

Joe,

Looks very familiar.............we were there in August for 5 nights but, in West Galcier.....stayed at North American RV Park and would stay there again. We were only about 5 min from the West entrance.........

A great park...one of the most beautiful. We went on to Canada and Banff..Would love to go back, but it may be cheaper to just fly up and rent a car........( I can fly for free):wink!:

Paul
    sigpic

Paul and Sue
    Littleton, CO
    2015 GMC Dually Denali
    2010 36RSSB3 Mobile Suites
    Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch

Previous rigs:
    Coleman pop-up, 30 ft Prowler TT, Sunnybrook 30 ft pull trailer, SunnyBrook 30RKFS Fifth wheel

Comment

Fly Free

Originally posted by Low 'n Slow View Post
      Joe,

Looks very familiar.............we were there in August for 5 nights but, in West Galcier.....stayed at North American RV Park and would stay there again. We were only about 5 min from the West entrance.........

A great park...one of the most beautiful. We went on to Canada and Banff..Would love to go back, but it may be cheaper to just fly up and rent a car........( I can fly for free):wink!:

Paul
      Just go ahead, and rub it in Paul.
      Lee
      Lee & Mamie http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_Msigpic
      Buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own
      04 - 2500 Chevy CC Silverado - D/A
      07 - Tahoe LTZ w/tow package,
      16K Pullrite Super Slide
      2006 Excel 30RSO
      All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

Joe, I've really enjoyed this post and all the others you've posted recently. They're a great source of information to the forum's State by State section and a valuable resource for those who may be traveling to those areas. I really appreciate you taking the time to do this. Thanks.

Paul

Comment

Thanks Paul, for the kind words.

I am enjoying posting. Hope they are working for others also.

Joe
          Joe and Debbie Gilbert
          On the Road Fulltime Since 7/14/08

2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43' Atlanta fifth wheel home on wheels

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 4.10, Factory rear air suspension

Officially RETIRED!!
          Catch me if you can!!

Comment

Originally posted by Joezilla View Post
            Thanks Paul, for the kind words.

I am enjoying posting. Hope they are working for others also.

Joe
            Joe, I too am enjoying your posts--especially the photos. We have been to many of the places you have posted and the posts bring back fond memories. The other posts of places we have not been to have us planning for next year.
            Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.

Judy and Joel,=Jfrow2

Comment

We were in Glacier in July of this year, did not camp but cabin's were the ticket. Here are a few pictures

Upper Two Medicine Lake (both)

Comment

we are planning a trip next year ---would like advice on where to stay--and time of year to go---would like to avoid crowds as much as possibe but don't want to drive in snow---do you need to camp on both sides or is one side best & allows you to see park with out spending all day in truck---any advice would appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by jonesuh View Post
                  we are planning a trip next year ---would like advice on where to stay--and time of year to go---would like to avoid crowds as much as possibe but don't want to drive in snow---do you need to camp on both sides or is one side best & allows you to see park with out spending all day in truck---any advice would appreciated
                  You have to stay on both sides to really get to any of the decent hikes. We stayed on the east side first for a week and then moved to the west for a week, wished we had stayed longer now. We were there this past July. had to wait till the 15th to take the shuttle up the Road to the Sun as the road was closed due the enormous amount of snow they had this year..a few of the better hiking trails were closed too because of the snow.
                  Take some of the ranger led hikes..we enjoyed them..
                  Saw a lot of wildlife, moose, deer, mountain goats, grizzly..
                  WE planned our trip to coincide with the opening of the Road to the Sun but had to wait a couple more days.
                  WE stayed at Johnson's on the East side and North American on the West side. Both were decent. From the east side the Canadian portion of the park is an easy drive. North American was just a few miles from the west gate and close to the white water river rafting companies( I recommend a trip down the Flathead..) You can camp in the parks but we like full hookups.
                  We used the shuttle service a lot, saves on fuel(and our dually was too big for the Rd to the Sun) and pretty easy to get around. If you use the shuttles, plan your day to return on the shuttle in early afternoon as they will fill up later in the day, especially of you go to the Logans Pass... we did that on the first day it opened and on the first shuttle from the east side....loved it...the snow at the ranger station was about 10-12' above the flagpole But you could hike on the snow as it was packed.
                  The weather in July was nice, a few cold nights but days were warm....If you like to Kayak, take those too, the lakes are beautiful.

Great park
                  Last edited by garyk; 12-01-2011, 12:16 AM.
                  sigpic
                  PAULA AND GARY

2014 Phaeton 40 QBH
                  2015 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4

Comment

How will you be camping? This year snow was around until July and that was the lower elevations.

Glacier’s weather includes just about everything and can change quickly . Glacier’s summer weather is mostly quite pleasant, but visitors need to be prepared for extremes. This can mean heat and humidity, or sleet and snow, even in July and August. If you’re planning on hiking or camping, make sure to carry the proper clothing, especially outerwear that can keep you warm and dry.

The park is more accessible in July and August than in May or June for hiking and getting around. The park rarely feels crowded, and it’s not hard to find solitude if that’s what you seek.

Best things to do (and people will debate these)

the Going-To-The-Sun Road
                    Visit the Many Glacier area and spend it hiking the Iceberg Lake or another fine hike
                    Two Medicine area take the boat rides to a hike

There are more than a dozen campgrounds in Glacier, varying in size, location, facilities, etc. No one campground is best since each will meet different needs. Detailed information on the park’s campgrounds can be found at http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/camping.htm.

More?

Comment

Here's a few pictures...East side has more wildlife..
                      Attached Files
                      sigpic
                      PAULA AND GARY

2014 Phaeton 40 QBH
                      2015 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by garyk View Post
                        Here's a few pictures...East side has more wildlife..
                        Actually we have seen Bears,deer, goats and Moose on both the east side and the west side, but its more about the mountains and the mountain lakes than the wildlife don't you think?

Comment

Originally posted by whereigo View Post
                          Actually we have seen Bears,deer, goats and Moose on both the east side and the west side, but its more about the mountains and the mountain lakes than the wildlife don't you think?

True....but the east side is my favorite
                          Attached Files
                          sigpic
                          PAULA AND GARY

2014 Phaeton 40 QBH
                          2015 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4

Comment

Working...
                          X