Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for 2 days at Glacier Nat'l Park?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for 2 days at Glacier Nat'l Park?

We've got reservations at the Great American RV Park just to the southwest of GNP coming up. If we have permission from Beverly's oncologist, we'll probably make the trip, but will only have a couple days there (3 nights).

Any suggestions for a good cost-effective and time-efficient way to see the best parts of the Park in two days?

Thanks!
    Tim, wife Beverly, & two boys who love RV'ing
    2005 Sunnybrook 30FKS Dual Cam HP
    2002 Suburban K2500 8.1L 4.10 Prodigy

Originally posted by tluxon View Post
    We've got reservations at the Great American RV Park just to the southwest of GNP coming up. If we have permission from Beverly's oncologist, we'll probably make the trip, but will only have a couple days there (3 nights).

Any suggestions for a good cost-effective and time-efficient way to see the best parts of the Park in two days?

Thanks!
    Drive the Highway to the Sun Highway and stop along the way. Skip the open tour touring cars if you are only there a couple of days.

Take your towing mirrors are off before you make the drive. There are many narrow passages along the way.
    Attached Files
    Russell
    '13 Excel Winslow 34IKE
    '16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
    Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS;
    '01 Sunnybrook 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah

Comment

If you mean the North American RV park which is outside west glacier, some musts

Going to the sun road, get information from the ranger when you enter ($25) on stops along the road. The closest to where you are are as follows but you can ride in a bus/van for free and not drive ! (second post)

Apgar Village, has a ranger station, and real nice views of the lake

Then up the road to trail of the cedars, real nice hike even if you do the short version

Lots of nice stops along the way to Logans Pass, busy busy place and lots to see some nice hikes if your up for it. Or plenty of places to stop for pictures, here is a preview of the ride all the way to Many Glacier in July 2009 Slideshow of pictures, photos, and videos, from webshots

The other post has a Logans Pass hike picture to hidden lake, that is uphill going but worth it.
      Last edited by whereigo; 08-26-2009, 02:13 AM. Reason: SP

Comment

Getting around without driving, is not hard and its free, it takes time but why hurry. The transportation center has information the van bus comes every 30 minutes when they run (not sure if they stop by a certain date)

Last edited by whereigo; 08-26-2009, 02:15 AM.

Comment

We're here at North American RV Park, and it's pretty toasty outside. The only shade on our site is made by the RV, LOL!

We had an awesome and memorable time during our two days at the Silverwood Theme Park. They've expanded their water park since we were last there - adding another huge wave pool and a giant tube (4 to 6 people) ride called "Avalanche" that turns you nearly upside down on corners as you navigate from high up a hill to a deep cut "lake" some 50-75 feet below ground level. We took so many thrilling rollercoaster rides that we all practically lost our voices "living it up". What a great way to put aside impending health issues for a few days!

So now we're hoping to slow it down just a bit and enjoy some of the best nature has to offer. Surprisingly, when we left the Silverwood RV Park this morning, we didn't even know for sure which direction we were going to take, as it was tempting to take the short 45-minute drive over to the Little Diamond Thousand Trails and save ourselves some much-needed money. Torn by the thought that we might not have a better opportunity to experience Glacier National Park, we took a right instead of a left and 4-1/2 hours later pulled in here.

Believe it or not, we've gotten to rely on our GPS so much (which is a scary thought, because it has betrayed me on a few occasions!) that I forgot to even bring a map. That's our next get.

Thanks for the advice given so far. That gives us a great place to start come morning.

Comment

Tim, glad you made it.

You'll enjoy Glacier National Park.

Here's a pic of our camper at North American RV Park when we were there in 2002:
            Attached Files
            Russell
            '13 Excel Winslow 34IKE
            '16 GMC Sierra 3500HD

Comment

Cram as much as you can and then come back for more

Take the tour of the Going-To-The-Sun Road in the restored touring bus - it's a gas!
              1930s White Glacier National Park Red Bus

If you have time the second day, drive to Waterton, Canada and eat at the Prince of Wales Hotel, Prince of Wales Hotel | Waterton-Glacier National Park | National Park Reservations

See the view and wildlife at Logan Pass. If time permits, visit some of the lodges, ie. Swiftwater
              Montana's Glacier National Park - Lodging, scenic tours, hotels

If you can complete a 3 mi hike (in and out) visit Avalanche Lake or do some of the Highline Trail. Either will provide breath taking views. The park is full of them.
              Last edited by JPT51; 08-29-2009, 02:12 AM.
              Jay

2002 MS 2750
              2500HD Silverado 6.0L gas
              Love the Tetons!

Comment

I think the boys will be sleeping well tonight! We walked the Trail of the Cedars, then our oldest insisted on going all the way up to Avalanche Lake. Magnificent geology and views and we hadn't even started up the pass yet!

We made our way (unbelievable views and what a road!) to the top of Logan Pass and cruised around the parking lot for a good 10 minutes before being one of the lucky ones nearest a car pulling out, LOL!

We went a little way up the Hidden Lake trail from the Logan Pass visitor center before deciding that the view looking up was good enough for us. Then we went a short distance down the Highline Trail to get some of the breathtaking helicopter-like views right from the side of the mountain.

After going east of Logan Pass a ways, we found a good lookout to stop at and then turned around to head back. On the way back down, we stopped at a few of the turnouts we had bypassed on the way up.

All in all, we were awestruck at the creative uniqueness of the vast variety of geology and geography we saw today. I would sure like to go back and spend much more time in this place, but the boys are saying they're all scenery'd out for now.

Our oldest got the best pictures, but I haven't gotten them off his camera yet. Here's a few of the ones I managed to take.
                Attached Files

Comment

Looks like you had a great time.... Couldn't help noticing that there are not too much left of the glaciers in Glacier NP. I noticed the same thing at Grand Teton NP and Rocky Mountain NP when we visited them in Sept, 2005. It is too bad. I have not gotten to Glacier NP yet. I will have to make an effort to get there before the glaciers are gone.

Comment

Great pictures. Looks like boys are having great time enjoy it will you can they grow up fast.
                    2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN Rear Air 4:10's
                    2013 Lifestyle LS35SB, MORryde IS System, disc brakes
                    AIRSAFE Air Hitch
                    Blog: bolltimers.com

Comment

It was very satisfying to see my oldest take to the camera and continually exclaiming, "Dad, look at this picture I just got!" He even got a close-up of a feeding deer on our hike up to Avalanche Lake. I'll post it when I can in the next couple days.

Ed,

Glaciers are in a constant state of change, like just about everything else in nature as we have earthquakes, volcanoes, warm seasons, and cold seasons. In our short lifetimes we miss out on things our ancestors got to experience and vice versa.

Perhaps other features of nature will fascinate visitors for the next thousand years or so - and then it might be glaciers again. I'm not sure the sequence is all that predictable, but I'm not sure it's not, either.

Maybe someday mankind's elites will lay aside the desire to control the rest of us and some of these factors could be discovered by proper (unleveraged) methods.

Unfortunately, I doubt it will happen.
                      Last edited by tluxon; 08-30-2009, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tluxon View Post
                        Ed,

Glaciers are in a constant state of change, like just about everything else in nature as we have earthquakes, volcanoes, warm seasons, and cold seasons. In our short lifetimes we miss out on things our ancestors got to experience and vice versa.

Perhaps other features of nature will fascinate visitors for the next thousand years or so - and then it might be glaciers again. I'm not sure the sequence is all that predictable, but I'm not sure it's not, either.

Maybe someday mankind's elites will lay aside the desire to control the rest of us and some of these factors could be discovered by proper (unleveraged) methods.

Unfortunately, I doubt it will happen.
                        It was not a comment on global warming or anything else for that matter. Just an observation of mine that the glaciers are getting smaller and smaller for whatever reason. If one wants to see them, they should take the opportunity to see them soon.

Comment

Thanks, for the cool pics. i enjoyed them and hope to make a trip out that way soon

Comment

Originally posted by edj View Post
                            It was not a comment on global warming or anything else for that matter. Just an observation of mine that the glaciers are getting smaller and smaller for whatever reason. If one wants to see them, they should take the opportunity to see them soon.
                            If you want to see a really cool glacier, up close and personal, make the trip north from Glacier National Park, Montana past Banff, Alberta, Canada to the Athabasca Glacier.

Very cool.....
                            Attached Files
                            Russell
                            '13 Excel Winslow 34IKE
                            '16 GMC Sierra 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by drfife View Post
                              If you want to see a really cool glacier, up close and personal, make the trip north from Glacier National Park, Montana past Banff, Alberta, Canada to the Athabasca Glacier.

Very cool.....
                              Thanks... Is the glacier in Jasper NP? I will be adding it to the list of places to see.

Comment

Working...
                              X