Carlsbad Koa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carlsbad Koa

Stayed 2 nights at the Carlsbad Koa, nice campground, but the sulphur smell I presume from the town of Artesia was unpleasant. Living Desert was close by and well worth the visit, and the caverns did not disappoint.
    Attached Files
    Marshall
    2013 Tacoma TRD offroad
    2013 Jayflight 154BH

Have never camped in the area... but I have visited Carlsbad Caverns.

One word - "WOW"

That should be on everyone's "must see" list....
    Jeff, Julie, Cameron, & Taylor Lockhart - Wauconda, IL

2021 F-350 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat FX4
    2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er: "Cram-A-Lot Inn"

Visit our family online - www.thelockharts.com
    Find us / "friend" us on social websites - Facebook

Comment

Weather in October

It looks like we'll be staying at the KOA for a few days in October. It doesn't appear that there are too many other options close by.

For those of you who have been out West, what's the weather like at the beginning of October? I hope we're not getting there too early. I hate it after it gets up past the low to mid-80's. Well - maybe hate is too strong a word. But it does put a damper on being outdoors.

Dan wants to attend a ham radio function mid-October, so we don't really have a choice as far as scheduling.

Z
      Dan & Zerelda Hammer
      Pensacola, FL
      SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
      2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

"Out West"--that covers a lot of territory...around Carlsbad, it should be enjoyable--I would think highs in the low 80s, lows in the low 60s. Generally, a dry area. There can be some cold fronts beginning to come through and that might turn a couple of days into windy, cold and damp times. Altitude is about 3300 ft and that cools the nights real well.
        Joe
        '05 36 TK3 Mobiles Suites
        '09 F450 4x4--put out to pasture
        '10 F450 4x4--new to me
        First wife, back to 3 Yorkies
        Livin to go campin
        In the past: SB 26FK; 30FKS

Comment

We stayed at Harry McAdams City Park in Hobbs, New Mexico last April. Full hookups $18/night. I would stay there again.
          Russell
          '13 Excel Winslow 34IKE
          '16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
          Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS;
          '01 Sunnybrook 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah

Comment

We stayed in White City, small campground there, don't know if its still open as this a few years ago, in fact the entire town was for sale....its right outside the park...weather in October is nice in NM, cool nights, warm days.
            There have been some fires out that way last couple of years, so vegetation might be sparse...
            sigpic
            PAULA AND GARY

2014 Phaeton 40 QBH
            2015 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by rvduo View Post
              It looks like we'll be staying at the KOA for a few days in October. It doesn't appear that there are too many other options close by.

For those of you who have been out West, what's the weather like at the beginning of October? I hope we're not getting there too early. I hate it after it gets up past the low to mid-80's. Well - maybe hate is too strong a word. But it does put a damper on being outdoors.

Dan wants to attend a ham radio function mid-October, so we don't really have a choice as far as scheduling.

Z
              Depending on your timing while coming thru Texas there is a hamfest October 3-4 in Belton, Tx. Do a search for Belton, tx hamfest and it will turn up. It's one of the better ones. The official line is Oct 3 is setup and the hamfest opens at 7AM Oct 4th.

What really happens is some folks start arriving on Thurs and camp out in the parking lot thru Sat. The 7245/3922 bunch has a BBQ pit that will be fired up and BBQ cooking starting early Fri morning. Bring whatever you want and they will burn it, steaks, sausage, ribs, you name it. Look for the rubber chicken on a flagpole. All day and half the nite Fri is an outside swapmeet, social gathering, guitar picking, and all around good time. There will be all kinds of meat on the grill, a big pot of beans, and a donation jar is available. If you need there is a KOA next door. Most just set up on the parking lot. Usually 40+ RV's. Sat morn the actual inside hamfest kicks off and the parking lot trading gets serious. By noon everyone is gone.

It happens twice a year and is a tradition. Jump up on 40 and ask if anyone knows about it, you might be surprised.

We will get there Fri morning set up our table and Millie gets to watch it while I look around and socialize. On the north edge of the parking lot within a couple of rows of the cooker.

Oh, there a gun show in the other park of the arena also.
              Clif and Millie
              Mabank, TX (sorta)
              2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Allison/Duramax Dually GONE
              2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler GONE

Comment

Originally posted by avvidclif View Post
                Depending on your timing while coming thru Texas there is a hamfest October 3-4 in Belton, Tx.
                We'll miss this one, but we'll have to put it on the list for another trip through. We are actually just cutting across the chimney of TX after we leave my cousin's at the end of September and heading southwest.

We are going to a small one on Socorro mid-Oct because there is a guided tour for the hams at the Nat'l Radio Observatory west of the city.

We are also going to spend a week at the ham gathering in January in Quartzsite, AZ, and IF we can work it in, we might head down to Yuma for the one there.

It all remains to be seen... one of the advantages of full-time travel.

Z
                Dan & Zerelda Hammer
                Pensacola, FL
                SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
                2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

Koa

I didn't take any pictures at the KOA because there are plenty online (and here) already available. I will say that all of the office workers were very nice. They even had little doggie treat bags for the dogs when we checked in. There are two separate dog runs - with grass!

The bathrooms were clean enough for even the most obsessive, unless you're a complete germaphobe (sp?).

The only negative thing I can say is that the water there tasted TERRIBLE. It also left a white film on the silverware and clear glass dishes - or depending on the color of your dishes, you might see it there too.

I didn't notice the sulfur smell that was mentioned in an earlier post.

We were in site B14 (pull through - full hook-up), so we had a view of the pecan orchard when there wasn't a rig next to us, which was for most of our stay.

We also found the Living Dessert very nice. I would normally wait to post pictures, but I have one or two that I can put here from our walk there.

Zerelda
                  Attached Files
                  Dan & Zerelda Hammer
                  Pensacola, FL
                  SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
                  2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

Neat pictures, don't know if the photos of the mountain lion are a joke but living here at the base of the Organ Mountains in NM and hiking thru them, along with technical rescue work......I can tell you , you were too damn close........we have had them stalk rescue workers at nite out here.....beautiful but dangerous animals...they occasionally pass thru our neighborhood....
                    sigpic
                    PAULA AND GARY

2014 Phaeton 40 QBH
                    2015 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by garyk View Post
                      Neat pictures, don't know if the photos of the mountain lion are a joke but living here at the base of the Organ Mountains in NM and hiking thru them, along with technical rescue work......I can tell you , you were too damn close........we have had them stalk rescue workers at nite out here.....beautiful but dangerous animals...they occasionally pass thru our neighborhood....
                      I'm not that brave (or stupid). The lion was behind an enclosure. It just happens that my camera lens ignored the wire (lucky me) because I got a good shot.

They had an aviary there too, and a bear (who paints, incidentally), and some raptors and other animals that have been injured to that they cannot survive in the wild.

Zerelda
                      Dan & Zerelda Hammer
                      Pensacola, FL
                      SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
                      2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

Working...
                      X