Socorro, NM - Casey's RV Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Socorro, NM - Casey's RV Park

To be honest, the only reason we made the stop in Socorro is that we wanted to get in on the tour just for the ham radio operators (in conjunction with a small hamfest there) to the VLA - Radio Astronomy Observatory about an hour west of Socorro. The VLA's open house (with guided tours) is usually the first Saturday of the month.

The campground is not one to which we would willingly return. It's gravel from one end to the other, although there are a few small trees that dot the campground. The outside rows are filled with permanent rigs, although we didn't see much of any of them. As you can see by one of the pictures, there was some junk sitting around.

We did have full hook-up (50-amp), with a level site (other sites were nearly level, depending which row/site you were in), and the office workers were all very nice when we saw them.

There was supposedly a laundry room and bath/shower houses on the property, but they were not readily visible, and I didn't seek them out.

Most people were just stopping for the night to get some rest before moving on. But at $28/night, I think I would choose the Wal-Mart parking lot first.

We didn't let this depressing-looking campground spoil our fun, though. The VLA tour was excellent, and although the hike out at Fort Craig was self-guided through the ruins, we enjoyed that too.

The VLA does have a website, so if you're in the area the first Saturday of the month, don't miss the guided tour. Some of you will recognize the site as the one used for Carl Sagan's Cosmos, Bon Jovi's 2001 (or somewhere close to that year) music video, and Jodi Foster's Contact. There are a host of other things that have been filmed there too.

Back on task... If you just have to stop in Socorro (hour and 1/2 south of Albuquerque) for some reason, it is a place to stay. But it's not on our list of recommended places.

Zerelda
    Attached Files
    Dan & Zerelda Hammer
    Pensacola, FL
    SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
    2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

We stayed a few miles south at Bosque Bird Watchers RV Park a few years back. Much the same but very handy to the national wildlife refuge. I cannot imagine staying there if you aren't a bird watcher.

don
    Bobbi, Don, and Vinny & Kaiser
    2018 Fleetwood Discovery LXE
    Previously:
    2007 Sunnybrook 33CKTS
    [SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
    X