Albuquerque/Tijeras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Albuquerque/Tijeras

We enjoyed ourselves exploring Albuquerque and staying at a Passport America park (Hidden Valley) in Tijeras, even if we did get snowed on in the beginning of May. Lots of things to see and places to explore. Very tourist friendly.

There's a road with a route number of 165 that leads to Sandia Peak from the north. I've never seen a rocky dirt unmaintained closed in winter (until May?) road with a route number but what do I know? Great view from Sandia Peak (elevation 10,678'). Photo taken May 2.

The Rail Runner train is a good way to go to Santa Fe for the day.

A unique stop is the Tinkertown Museum. We've never seen a place quite like this. Very reasonable admission.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BC Jim; 07-12-2011, 06:06 AM.
    Jim & Delores
    2005 30RKFS
    2005 2500HD D/A 4WD ext cab long box
    Jordan Ultima

INEPTOCRACY: a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Jim

Glad you had a nice time in our fair city.

As far as closing a numbered road goes, New Mexico has almost learned how to conserve cash, without spending more to manage the savings. There are numbered roads in the North going east to west across the mountains that are routinely closed in the winter just to save the cost of keeping the snow removed. People just take another route if they need to cross. Try that in California and see how much crying you get.

Anyway nice you got to the peak and could see some of our modest but nicely done Tourist Traps. If your ever here during Baseball Season the Albuquerque Isotopes put on quit a show for the $15.00 ticket. The ballpark has been chosen the best in Minor League Baseball for three years running.
    Dick

1999 National Tradewinds 36.5 ft
    Cat 300hp, Frieghtliner Chassis
    1977 Palomino Yearling PUP
    sigpic
    Albuquerque, NM
    Our Pictures of Mods and Trips and More.

Comment

My post needs a couple of corrections/clarifications. The road numbered 165 is the uncivilized route up past Placitas from the north/west side of Sandia Peak. I didn't need a Jeep but I was in 4WD at the top. I should have taken photos of the warning signs about the road conditions and it being closed and all. This road is described unfavorably in the Mountain Directory West book. Hindsight being 20/20 I wouldn't take it after a snow storm again. And don't even think of towing something up it. Funny how it's shown as a solid line in my map book. It was NOT a solid line road!

The civilized route is 536 past Sandia Park from the south/east. And we made it to Sandia Crest, not Sandia Peak. The Peak is probably higher, as in a peak.

And we didn't get sucked into the tourist traps in Oldtown.
      Jim & Delores
      2005 30RKFS
      Jordan Ultima

INEPTOCRACY: a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Comment

You have excited my curiosity. I will now take route 165 up to Sandia Peak. I am here in Albuquerque twice a year to visit family. Thank you for the information.
        HAPPY TRAILS
        Ralph & Snickers

2006 New Horizons 30' 5er
        Solar That Really Works
        2006 Chevy 3500 8.1/Allison

Comment

Originally posted by ralper View Post
          You have excited my curiosity. I will now take route 165 up to Sandia Peak. I am here in Albuquerque twice a year to visit family. Thank you for the information.
          You're welcome! We did the drive under less than optimum conditions and too late in the day. I was just a little nervous. Four wheel drive can sometimes take you farther before you get stuck. It was an interesting drive. If the road is dry it should be easy.
          Jim & Delores
          2005 30RKFS
          Jordan Ultima

Comment

Albuquerque Sites

We think we're going to go ahead and stay just for a week in Albuquerque near the end of October. We are meeting friends in Tucson at the end of that month. We'll be close enough, and it seems a shame to skip it.

Suggestions for campsites in/surrounding Albuquerque? I've just started looking, but would like some input from those who have already been there.

Thanks,

Zerelda
            Dan & Zerelda Hammer
            Pensacola, FL
            SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
            2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

Working...
            X