Copake KOA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copake KOA?

Has anyone stayed at the Copake KOA in NY? It seems like it's a decent place to stay. We're thinking of it for Memorial day weekend.
    -- Karl

Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 BHLT pulled by the mighty 2003 F250 Crew Cab Lariat FX4 6.0 Turbo Diesel

We've been there twice, both on Labor Day weekends. It's a nice place and getting better as the new owners continue to improve it.

My experience with the owners has been nothing short of excellent. Our first visit was just after many days of heavy rain. They had done their best to control the mud by filling muddy areas with wood chips. The site I was assigned to was a back-in in a low area where they had used about a dump truck full of chips to bring it up out of the mud. I refused to back my trailer in not knowing what was under the chips, or if I'd be able to find any solid ground for my stabilizers. I got a little belligerent with the guide who was trying to talk me into taking the site since they were booked solid and it was the only one left. The guide radioed back to the office who answered back that they had one other site, but it was more money. I said, forget it, I'm going home. Another radio call got the owner involved who offered the premium site at the same price. We took the site and had a great weekend.

We went back again this past Labor Day, and had a great time. Our site was a little off the beaten path, which is good for us, and required us to be in before the neighbor and out after since the only access was through a neighboring site. This wasn't an issue since we arrived early and planned to stay late. An the neighbors turned out to be great people too!

If you have kids they'll love the place. Lots of play equipment and plenty of activities to keep them busy. We took our 5yo niece and she loved it.

If you are an "empty nester" as we are, there are plenty of sites away from the action that are secluded and quiet. Or, if you want to be in the thick of it, the main field has pull through sites smack dab in the middle of all the action

It's easy to get to, not far from NY 22 on good road with mild grades. one note, when heading to the KAO through Kopake. our GPS said it was on the right. It's actually on the left. We made a wrong turn about 100 feet from the entrance

Kopake KOA would get close to my top rating for a commercial campground.
    sigpic
    Jon & Marilyn - New Fairfield, CT
    2008 R-Vision TrailLite 8310S
    2003 GMC Envoy SLT
    Hensley Arrow / TruControl / McKesh Mirrors

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I think that I'm definitely going to try and book Memorial day after reading that. One of the things that I like is that it's right on 22, don't have to even get on 84 and on the way home a stop at Big W's.
      -- Karl

Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 BHLT pulled by the mighty 2003 F250 Crew Cab Lariat FX4 6.0 Turbo Diesel

Comment

Made my reservations today looking forward to trying another place close to home!
        -- Karl

Comment

Hope you have fun Carl. Tell me about Big W's - I'm not familiar.

I'm right over the mountain from you on Candlewood Lake.
          sigpic
          2003 GMC Envoy SLT

Comment

Big W's BBQ in Wingdale, NY has some fantastic "real" BBQ. I had stopped there after the Antique Machine show in Kent, CT and am hooked! The brisket is out of this world!

Parking however, is going to be tight with a big camper.

If Copak is nice, I'll plan on taking several weekend trips, maybe meet up one of those times.
            -- Karl

Comment

Thanks for the info on Big W's. Sounds like we have a few things in common (antique machinery, BBQ). I'm not sure what our plans will be this year. With the cost of gas and my being cut back at work over a year ago we will be doing low cost trips, if any.
              sigpic
              2003 GMC Envoy SLT

Comment

All that talk about Big W's made us hungry so I took the kids there for lunch to get some sloppy ribs, brisket, pulled pork stuffing and some dirty mashed potato's. So glad this place is on the way to the campground, going to HAVE to stop on the way up and back!

I'm into the old tractors so much I have a site for them RedSquare Wheel Horse Information forum
                -- Karl

Comment

I would certainly recommend a stay at Copake KOA. While the area doesn't have a lot to do, the campground is very nicely kept and clean. Our site was very close to the pool and for Memorial Day Weekend, it was pleasantly un-crowded. Going to see if we can get back there again in a couple weeks!
                  -- Karl

Comment

In 2012 we camped there 2 times. Our last visit we went to the Northeast Regional Rally for the Heartland owners club. We were told by the owner this was their first rally. They did a awesome job! Make all of us feel welcome!!!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Working...
                    X