Woodland Hills CG - Austerlitz, NY

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodland Hills CG - Austerlitz, NY

We camped at Woodland Hills CG for a week, mostly because it was only 15 minutes from just about everything we wanted to see in the area. I don't think we would have chosen this one for a longer stay. This campground is just across the state line, very close to Stockbridge, MA.

We did have full hook-up (E/W/S), but only 30-amp service. The sites were grass, and since we had some rain, the rig settled some after a few days, leaving us a bit unlevel, more than we would like.

This was just a so-so campground. The reviews online are pretty accurate. There are a LOT of seasonals that come for the weekends, but the people who were in the same row with us were all transients too, and they were all really friendly. In fact, we spent the evening with one couple one night.

I did not check out the restrooms; they were way across the campground from us.

The mosquitoes were bad, but to be fair, there had been quite a bit of rain.

The campground does have a small swimming area, and there are activities planned from time to time. We didn't happen to be there when something was going on.

Our biggest objection were the daily announcements between 3 & 3:30 that it was time to put the trash out, complete with all the rules involved for doing so. I'm all for recycling, and I think it's great that the owners make the effort. But you had to use their see-through bags (no other bags allowed), and you had to clean the containers before you put them in the bag. Regular trash/garbage also had to be in one of their bags.

The announcement was made every night after 8 p.m. that it was sunset, and that all bicycles had to be walked back to your site. And the one that really irritated me was the one at 11 p.m., when I was already asleep, that it "is now 11 o'clock. All campers must return to their own trailers, and it is now quiet time." Being the light sleeper that I am, needless to say, I had to spend some time getting back to sleep.

According to one of the campers we spoke with, it's worse on the weekends when they have activities, announcing every one.

It all seemed a bit militaristic to me.

The people who worked in the office were pleasant enough, but not very helpful when we needed local information.

We wouldn't camp here again unless it was some kind of emergency. I think we would try the other CG that was mentioned in a post a while back that was close to Stockbridge, MA.

Zerelda
    Attached Files
    Dan & Zerelda Hammer
    Pensacola, FL
    SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
    2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500
Working...
X