Doughton Park - Blue Ridge Parkway MP 239

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doughton Park - Blue Ridge Parkway MP 239

There are 110 tent and 25 RV sites. Campsites provide campers with tables, campfire rings and grills. The site also offers modern conveniences like flush toilets, drinking water and a dump station.

Doughton Park is a landscape of open meadows and pioneer cabins, a place to view wildlife and get a feel for the lives of those who lived here long ago. Originally known as the Bluffs, this area came by its present name in honor of Congressman Robert L. Doughton, a long-time advocate and supporter of the Parkway. Doughton Park is one of the best places along the motor road to view white-tailed deer, raccoons, red and grey foxes, and bobcats, as well as spectacular shows of flame azalea and rhododendron in the late spring.

GPS Info. (Latitude, Longitude):
    36.42889, -81.15444

It was getting late and starting to rain when we pulled into Doughton Park Campground to find a place to sleep for the night so we didn't really explore the area.

James Heap
    2012 F250 6.7 CC SB
    2013 Arctic Fox 25Y

We drove thru there last year and found it a pretty area. The cg would be rather hard to negotiate in a rig much larger than yours.
    2011 Jayco Eagle 351RLTS, MorRyde hitchpin
    06 F350 Lariat PSD CC,LB,SRW, 3.73, EGR delete kit,Timbrens
    16K DrawTite, LineX
    His and Hers Ocean Kayaks, TST TPMS
    Elle and BJ

In the past:
    97 27RKFS SB
    04 30RKFS SB Titan

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of your today." Will Rogers

Comment

I think that is pretty true for most of the campgrounds right on the parkway. ~30-32' travel trailers or smaller 5th wheels. Anything larger probably would be better off to find a site off the parkway, then explore the parkway without your camper.
      James Heap
      2012 F250 6.7 CC SB
      2013 Arctic Fox 25Y

Comment

I agree, negotiating those tunnels in the middle would be a strong reason for me to not travel in a large rig. I have met a few and it is scary in a tunnel with no where to go.
        2011 Jayco Eagle 351RLTS, MorRyde hitchpin
        06 F350 Lariat PSD CC,LB,SRW, 3.73, EGR delete kit,Timbrens
        16K DrawTite, LineX
        His and Hers Ocean Kayaks, TST TPMS
        Elle and BJ

In the past:
        97 27RKFS SB
        04 30RKFS SB Titan

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of your today." Will Rogers

Comment

Working...
        X