No announcement yet.

I-40 Rock Slide - It has reopened - Closed Again - Opened Again - Closed Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-40 Rock Slide - It has reopened - Closed Again - Opened Again - Closed Again

Those going to Tenn. on I40 Beware, this could mean a 140 mile detour.....DOT: Clearing rock slide from I-40 could take months :: WRAL.com
    Last edited by craziecritter; 10-25-2009, 08:21 PM.
    Sharon, Tom,
    Jack (the rat terrier) & Benji (the yorkie)
    at our sides 24/7 I'm exhausted.
    2000 Gulfstream Innsbruck (24')

they already have signs up from Winston-Salem west about the slide .... the detour is to take I-26 from Asheville to I-81 in Va .... from there take 81 back to 40 over in Tennessee .... last time I remember this happening the road was blocked for several months

Jim
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Thanks for the information. I was going to travel that way on Tuesday to Sevierville, TN and then on to Dalton, GA. Will take I85 to Atlanta and I75N to Dalton instead.

Bryan
      06 Sunnybrook Titan 32BWKS

2007.5 CHEVY 3500 long bed Silverado, 4WD, Duals, Duramax, Allison.

08 Montego Bay 37 RLB4--Bought this one to travel around in. Thanks Jim, (JEBar), and Camptown RV

It is much easier to beg forgiveness than it is to ask permission.

Comment

Originally posted by craziecritter View Post
        Those going to Tenn. on I40 Beware, this could mean a 140 mile detour.....DOT: Clearing rock slide from I-40 could take months :: WRAL.com
        There's a little more to the alledged 140 mile detour reported by the DOT. The detour only adds 53 miles to the trip if travelling from east of Asheville to Knoxville. The detour route is in fact about 140 miles long but they should subtract the 87 miles on I-40 not travelled. Now if you're on the stretch of I-40 between the detour route, well, yer screwed!
        Last edited by BC Jim; 10-25-2009, 08:54 PM.
        Jim & Delores
        2005 30RKFS
        2005 2500HD D/A 4WD ext cab long box
        Jordan Ultima

INEPTOCRACY: a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Comment

Thanks!

WE are heading back from Pa. to N. Ga this week and part of the Google route mentins I-40. Rather than take any chances and not know I-40 at all, we'll take an alternate route courtesy of Google. Thanks again....!
          Tom & Fay Makin

Comment

Aside from the fact it isn't a super highway, why wouldn't you take 25/70? I googled a trip from Hendersonville to Jefferson City and the mileage was 1 mile and 36 minutes longer. Unless there are serious issues with that route, that's the way I would go.
            Frank and Jean
            Retired Navy
            DAV Life Member
            '09 Rockwood Roo 233s
            '03 1500 Silverado LS

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.
            It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
            The things that come to those that wait will be the scraggly crappy junk left by those that got there first.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Popeye View Post
              Aside from the fact it isn't a super highway, why wouldn't you take 25/70? I googled a trip from Hendersonville to Jefferson City and the mileage was 1 mile and 36 minutes longer. Unless there are serious issues with that route, that's the way I would go.
              if that is the road I'm thinking of, the fact that route is only one mile longer but would take 36 minutes longer tells you something about that mountain road ..

Jim
              Jim
              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
              '04 Sea Pro 180DC
              '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Originally posted by thmakin View Post
                WE are heading back from Pa. to N. Ga this week and part of the Google route mentins I-40. Rather than take any chances and not know I-40 at all, we'll take an alternate route courtesy of Google. Thanks again....!
                Tom, the rock slide is at the NC-TN border. What are your start and end cities in PA and GA?
                Jim & Delores
                2005 30RKFS
                Jordan Ultima

INEPTOCRACY: a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
                  if that is the road I'm thinking of, the fact that route is only one mile longer but would take 36 minutes longer tells you something about that mountain road ..

Jim
                  US-25 generally follows the French Broad River. I've read a number of opinions that I-40 should have followed that route instead of its present route along the Pigeon River.

US-25 could be a real pretty drive through the mountains. It would probably be prettier without the big box behind me though.
                  Jim & Delores
                  2005 30RKFS
                  Jordan Ultima

Comment

Our route

We are coming down out of the Reading Pa area, down I-81 and then from there not too sure at this point. We are headed for Cleveland Ga which is very close to Helen. My wifee has a cousin in Cleveland and we will stay there for a week at a very nice Passport America campground. We are actually leaving a day ahead of time (checkin is scheduled for Sat the 31st) ll leaving Thursday. We don't like to rush on these "long" drives, don't drive at night if we can avoid it and don't stay in Walmart parking lots. Any advice for the Pa to Ga route will be appreciated. We DO NOT like winding country roads at all. thanks
                    Tom & Fay Makin

Comment

Originally posted by BC Jim View Post
                      US-25 generally follows the French Broad River.....
                      US-25 could be a real pretty drive through the mountains. It would probably be prettier without the big box behind me though.
                      that would be pretty much what I remember .... haven't been there in over 40 years and back then I was driving a 2 seat sports car .... while my memory isn't perfect by any means, based upon what I do recollect, I'd not be interesting in towing our present rig through there ...:nope:

Jim
                      Jim
                      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Jim
                        I was thinking along the lines that it would take longer because lower speed limit closer to smaller towns
                        Frank and Jean
                        Retired Navy
                        DAV Life Member
                        '09 Rockwood Roo 233s
                        '03 1500 Silverado LS

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.
                        It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
                        The things that come to those that wait will be the scraggly crappy junk left by those that got there first.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thmakin View Post
                          We are coming down out of the Reading Pa area, down I-81 and then from there not too sure at this point. We are headed for Cleveland Ga which is very close to Helen. My wifee has a cousin in Cleveland and we will stay there for a week at a very nice Passport America campground. We are actually leaving a day ahead of time (checkin is scheduled for Sat the 31st) ll leaving Thursday. We don't like to rush on these "long" drives, don't drive at night if we can avoid it and don't stay in Walmart parking lots. Any advice for the Pa to Ga route will be appreciated. We DO NOT like winding country roads at all. thanks
                          Hi Tom,

Using Delorme Street Atlas your route is PA Turnpike to I-81 to I-77 to Charlotte, NC to I-85 to near Cleveland, GA. 731 miles. Nowhere near the rock slide.
                          Jim & Delores
                          2005 30RKFS
                          Jordan Ultima

Comment

that would be pretty much what I remember .... haven't been there in over 40 years and back then I was driving a 2 seat sports car .... while my memory isn't perfect by any means, based upon what I do recollect, I'd not be interesting in towing our present rig through there ...:nope:

Jim
                            The opinions stated the French Broad River route was less prone to landslides but special interests steered I-40 to the present location. No personal knowledge. That's some kind of rugged country any way I see it.
                            Jim & Delores
                            2005 30RKFS
                            Jordan Ultima

Comment

Thanks Jim

I'm taking your route and making it real for us....thank you very much...tom
                              Tom & Fay Makin

Comment

Working...
                              X