I-40 Rock Slide - It has reopened - Closed Again - Opened Again - Closed Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Tom,

If you're interested you can buy Delorme Street Atlas at software-maps.com for $37.95 with free shipping. Handy tool to have.

Free Shipping - DeLorme Street Atlas USA 2010 Map Software
    Jim & Delores
    2005 30RKFS
    2005 2500HD D/A 4WD ext cab long box
    Jordan Ultima

INEPTOCRACY: a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Comment

With that Delorme Street Atlas software, did I understand it right, that you can create your own route on your computer and put it on a SD card and put it in your Garmin GPS and use it that way?
      Frank and Jean
      Retired Navy
      DAV Life Member
      '09 Rockwood Roo 233s
      '03 1500 Silverado LS

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.
      It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
      The things that come to those that wait will be the scraggly crappy junk left by those that got there first.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Popeye View Post
        With that Delorme Street Atlas software, did I understand it right, that you can create your own route on your computer and put it on a SD card and put it in your Garmin GPS and use it that way?
        I don't know about that, Frank. I'd be surprised if you could do that. Pleasantly surprised though.

All I do is use the nice big computer screen and mouse to get the big view of my route with distances. Then I'll punch in the major points on the GPS and check the route. Twice the work but the Delorme program is much easier to move around my route and play with it.
        Jim & Delores
        2005 30RKFS
        Jordan Ultima

INEPTOCRACY: a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Comment

on our drive back from western NC today on I-40 we found that the west bound lane is blocked at Exit 20 and only folks who need to get off at exits prior to the slide are allowed through .... east bound lanes are open with no problems .... no projection on the length of the clean-up

Jim
          Jim
          '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
          '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
          '04 Sea Pro 180DC
          '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
            on our drive back from western NC today on I-40 we found that the west bound lane is blocked at Exit 20 and only folks who need to get off at exits prior to the slide are allowed through .... east bound lanes are open with no problems .... no projection on the length of the clean-up

Jim
            That' the exit for Pride Resort at US 276. That's as far as I need to go!!
            2011 Jayco Eagle 351RLTS, MorRyde hitchpin
            06 F350 Lariat PSD CC,LB,SRW, 3.73, EGR delete kit,Timbrens
            16K DrawTite, LineX
            His and Hers Ocean Kayaks, TST TPMS
            Elle and BJ

In the past:
            97 27RKFS SB
            04 30RKFS SB Titan

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of your today." Will Rogers

Comment

They just reported that it will be 3 months to clean it up. They said they have to use dynamite on some of the bolders because some are the size of mobile homes. The rock slide is 150' feet high and 300' wide.
              Sharon, Tom,
              Jack (the rat terrier) & Benji (the yorkie)
              at our sides 24/7 I'm exhausted.
              2000 Gulfstream Innsbruck (24')

Comment

interesting link from Asheville news paper

Jim
                Jim
                '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                '17 Elio reserved

Comment

I'm impressed. Looks impassable to me.
                  Attached Files
                  Jim & Delores
                  2005 30RKFS
                  Jordan Ultima

Comment

much the same thing happened in that same area back in '97 .... it took them a while to create crossovers to here they could have one lane traffic in each direction using the east bound lanes .... judging from back then and with the fact that winter is drawing near, I tend to believe that 3 months is a very optimistic estimate

Jim
                    Jim
                    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Wow

Originally posted by BC Jim View Post
                      I'm impressed. Looks impassable to me.
                      Now thats a big rock!
                      And more just waiting to come down if they remove it.
                      Lee & Mamie http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_Msigpic
                      Buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own
                      04 - 2500 Chevy CC Silverado - D/A
                      07 - Tahoe LTZ w/tow package,
                      16K Pullrite Super Slide
                      2006 Excel 30RSO
                      All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

I saw a picture that had a damaged vehicle in it but haven;t heard if anyone was hurt in the slide. I hope nobody was seriously injured in that. A rock like that landing on you could put a big damper on your overall outlook.
                        Frank and Jean
                        Retired Navy
                        DAV Life Member
                        '09 Rockwood Roo 233s
                        '03 1500 Silverado LS

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.
                        It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
                        The things that come to those that wait will be the scraggly crappy junk left by those that got there first.

sigpic

Comment

In my past life I worked at an oil shale processing plant in Colorado. Our access road to the Retort was about 4 miles long and kinda curved up around a mountain. One day, two electricians were going down the mountan road when a boulder fell from above and landed IN the bed of the pickup. Squished the truck right to the ground, blew the tires, broke the axle housing, bent the frame right to the ground. Of course, the electricians were not harmed (except to their underwear).

Point is, they would have been killed if they had arrived approximately .02 seconds later.

Some of the rocks in the photo above would have caused some major injury and damage. Whew!

Ken and Fran
                          South Plains of Texas
                          06 31BWKS Sunnybrook
                          04 F250 SuperDuty

Comment

News reports put the slide around 2 a.m. Sunday morning. If it's going to go, that's probably the safest time except for the darkness.

If no one was there when the rocks came crashing down, did they make any noise?
                            Attached Files
                            Jim & Delores
                            2005 30RKFS
                            Jordan Ultima

Comment

Originally posted by BC Jim View Post
                              News reports put the slide around 2 a.m. Sunday morning. If it's going to go, that's probably the safest time except for the darkness.

If no one was there when the rocks came crashing down, did they make any noise?
                              Well......
                              Attached Files
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter. ~Winston Churchill

Comment

I take that as a yes...
                                Jim & Delores
                                2005 30RKFS
                                Jordan Ultima

Comment

Working...
                                X