No announcement yet.

I-40 Rock Slide - It has reopened - Closed Again - Opened Again - Closed Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they have been having heavy rain in that part of the state since early this morning ... I wouldn't be surprised in the least to hear of additional slides

Jim
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

update

taken from WRAL TV News

Raleigh, N.C. — The state Department of Transportation said Tuesday that a stretch of Interstate 40 in western North Carolina could reopen by late April – six months after it was buried in a rock slide.

The original contract called for the work to be completed in March, but winter weather has delayed the work, which included stabilizing a Haywood County mountainside, DOT Chief Engineer of Operations Jon Nance said.

“This has been an incredibly harsh winter, and because of that, the specialty contractors have not been able to do as much work as planned,” Nance in a statement.

Twenty-five inches of snow fell in the area since December – a 250 percent increase over the historic average – and 17 inches inches of rain fell on the area during the period – about a 30 percent increase over the historic average.

While the highway has been closed, the DOT looked at the corridor and determined five other sites also need to be stabilized. The additional work shouldn't affect the reopening of I-40, Nance said.

Four of the sites to be stabilized are just west of the area where the Oct. 25 rock slide occurred, near the Tennessee border. The fifth is 1.5 miles east of the rock slide site.

The first phase of the work at these sites involves removing unstable rock. The work, which must be performed while the road is closed, should be completed before crews have finished shoring up the mountainside where the rock slide occurred, officials said.

The rock slide has forced travelers to use a 53-mile detour to and from Tennessee on Interstates 26 and 81.

State and contract workers have removed thousands of tons of boulders and unstable rock from the site of the rock slide. Crews are still installing 590 rock bolts to stabilize the mountainside. About half of the holes have been drilled, and 20 percent of the holes have been grouted, officials said.

Even after I-40 reopens, about one mile of the westbound lane closest to the mountain will remain closed until the summer so crews can finish installing rock bolts and anchor mesh at the five additional sites.

Jim
      Jim
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

good news

INTERSTATE 40 ROCKSLIDE UPDATE FOR APRIL 22 Thursday, April 22, 2010

Helicopter installs last rock bolt needed to reopen road

RALEIGH – The Sikorsky helicopter had a single goal when it lifted off this morning: to install the last set of rock bolts needed to reopen Interstate 40 by April 27.

When it reached that magic number of 31 rock bolts late in the afternoon, the echo of its whirring blades against the mountain sounded like thunderous applause for a job well done.

That was just the latest achievement in a week of milestones that also includes completion of the drilling required to reopen I-40 and the repaving of the road in front of the rockslide.

Crews expect to begin grouting rock bolts into place tomorrow. Over the weekend they will add an extra factor of safety by securing each of them with a 15 pound plate and a one pound nut.

By the weekend, they also expect to complete construction of a ring net fence – 10 feet high, 110 feet long – to protect motorists from loose rocks or debris that might tumble from the rockslide site.

This section of I-40 near the Tennessee border has been closed in both directions since the rockslide occurred on Oct. 25. Before the rockslide, about 19,000 vehicles a day traveled on the road; approximately 45 percent were trucks.

The total cost for the project is estimated to be $12.9 million. Nearly 100 percent of this cost will be reimbursed by the federal government.

Work will continue in the area through the summer as crews complete stabilization efforts – including the installation of rock bolts and anchor mesh – at five additional sites. Both eastbound lanes will be open; however, one westbound will be closed for about three miles for this work.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++

Jim
        Jim
        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Great accomplishment and great news for us. We will be at Pride Resort May 16-21, just down the road.
          2011 Jayco Eagle 351RLTS, MorRyde hitchpin
          06 F350 Lariat PSD CC,LB,SRW, 3.73, EGR delete kit,Timbrens
          16K DrawTite, LineX
          His and Hers Ocean Kayaks, TST TPMS
          Elle and BJ

In the past:
          97 27RKFS SB
          04 30RKFS SB Titan

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of your today." Will Rogers

Comment

update

one westbound lane of I-40 near the NC/Tn state line has reopened .... that is truly good news for those of us who have plans to head west in the near future .... unfortunately, with its history, the bet is this will not be the last slide in that area

Jim
            Jim
            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
            '04 Sea Pro 180DC
            '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Is that your route of choice for next month's gathering?
              Frank and Jean
              Retired Navy
              DAV Life Member
              '09 Rockwood Roo 233s
              '03 1500 Silverado LS

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.
              It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
              The things that come to those that wait will be the scraggly crappy junk left by those that got there first.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Popeye View Post
                Is that your route of choice for next month's gathering?
                10-4 .... will be following I-40 through NC and into Tn .... will cut north off of 40 at Knoxville

Jim
                Jim
                '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Well, keep a sharp eye out
                  Frank and Jean
                  Retired Navy
                  DAV Life Member
                  '09 Rockwood Roo 233s
                  '03 1500 Silverado LS

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.
                  It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
                  The things that come to those that wait will be the scraggly crappy junk left by those that got there first.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Popeye View Post
                    Well, keep a sharp eye out
                    understood .... years ago when they had the last major slide we had driven through there less than a day earlier .... on our way back home we had to take a very different route

Jim
                    Jim
                    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

update

on Aug 5, 2010 when we reentered NC via I-40 the east bound lanes were wide open .... west bound traffic was still restricted to one lane through the area of the slide .... from the looks of the work going on, I don't anticipate that changing for a good while to come .... traffic backups in that area are entirely dependent upon the volume of traffic at any given time .... folks needing to travel that section of west bound I-40 would be wise to try to do so at non-peak traffic times

Jim
                      Jim
                      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

That truly shocks me that they are still working on it.

Just last year we had the entire west bound lane of 64 sink on the west side of Ashland KY. This altered our travel route to Maysville Ky for winter racing. We choose to travel up the ohio side and cut over at the Greenup locks and dams. But our trips home we always had to hit 64 east bound in order to dump our tanks at the Flying J right outside Ashland. While there is still road work going on in that area it is not due to the sinking area. Its just a vast road repair for both WV and KY. Actually WV may take a while they are replacing an entire bridge. This may once again detour our west bound route but we still must hit the area east bound.

We also locally (in ohio) suffered a rock slide that took the state a full week to remove. While small rock slides in that are are common there hasn't been a large rock slide in that area since I was a very young girl. They hired a team to come and remove some extra rocks the state felt may fall in the next few years, seams thats what took them so long to get the road cleared for travel again.
                        08 sunny brook sunset creek 341SRD -sold after several years of amazing memories
                        2014 Open Range 397fbs. For the next stage of camping.
                        2008 Ford F-450 King Ranch.
                        hoping to make memories that last a lifetime, and shared over the campfire.

Comment

Again

well, a major rock slide has closed I-40 once again .... I sure hope the politicians who forced the construction of I-40 to run through that area (against the advice of the engineers) are happy .... once again millions of dollars and months of inconvenience for thousands and thousands of folks is going to have to be spent to reopen I-40

Jim
                          Jim
                          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                          '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                          '17 Elio reserved

Comment

I think about it as we go through that area every fall. We spend a few days in the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area on our annual trek to Florida and that includes a day trip to Maggie Valley and Waynesville.

Comment

Hope they get it cleared by June, we will be going thru there on the way to Oriental, NC..
                              sigpic
                              PAULA AND GARY

2014 Phaeton 40 QBH
                              2015 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
                                well, a major rock slide has closed I-40 once again .... I sure hope the politicians who forced the construction of I-40 to run through that area (against the advice of the engineers) are happy .... once again millions of dollars and months of inconvenience for thousands and thousands of folks is going to have to be spent to reopen I-40

Jim
                                Those politicians do't even think about it.
                                They fly when they want to get somewhere.
                                Lee
                                Lee & Mamie http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_Msigpic
                                Buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own
                                04 - 2500 Chevy CC Silverado - D/A
                                07 - Tahoe LTZ w/tow package,
                                16K Pullrite Super Slide
                                2006 Excel 30RSO
                                All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

Working...
                                X