Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007dura
    replied
    The picture posted above is not of the rock slide that happened Friday night. That picture is from a few years back when the road was shut down for months to clear. Here is a link https://www.foxcarolina.com/news/ncd...ec6725d49.html with a picture of the new slide. Saying roughly a week to fix. Alot depends on how much more rain is received tonight and if more washes down.

Leave a comment:

• Popeye
    replied
    Gonna need more than your Silverado to get past that

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    a large rock slide on I-40 just east of the NC/Tenn state line has once again closed I40
    A rockslide on Interstate 40 near the Tennessee line Friday night has closed traffic in both directions indefinitely between exit 7 and exit 20.

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    update

today we drove to Asheville and back .... when we got to where the detour signs have historically been placed during previous road blockages, none were to be seen .... during a conversation at a Cracker Barrel where we at lunch with a lady who had driven over from Tennessee, I was told that I-40 has been reopened for both east and west bound traffic .. :salute:

Jim

Leave a comment:

• garyk
    replied
    WE hope to do some white water this year, last time we stopped in that area, they did not open the dam.....

Leave a comment:

• staggerlee
    replied
    Originally posted by JEBar View Post
    "The Tennessee Department of Transportation hopes to have at least one westbound lane of Interstate 40 that was shut down by a rock slide Tuesday open by Feb. 14."

quote taken from this link

Jim
    Does it come with any warrantee?
    An est. 25 mil. spent on ads in Fla. and we are living with this.
    Lee

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    Originally posted by garyk View Post
    Hope they get it cleared by June, we will be going thru there on the way to Oriental, NC..

"The Tennessee Department of Transportation hopes to have at least one westbound lane of Interstate 40 that was shut down by a rock slide Tuesday open by Feb. 14."

quote taken from this link

Jim

Leave a comment:

• staggerlee
    replied
    Originally posted by JEBar View Post
    well, a major rock slide has closed I-40 once again .... I sure hope the politicians who forced the construction of I-40 to run through that area (against the advice of the engineers) are happy .... once again millions of dollars and months of inconvenience for thousands and thousands of folks is going to have to be spent to reopen I-40

Jim
    Those politicians do't even think about it.
    They fly when they want to get somewhere.
    Lee

Leave a comment:

• garyk
    replied
    Hope they get it cleared by June, we will be going thru there on the way to Oriental, NC..

Leave a comment:

• RBT
    replied
    I think about it as we go through that area every fall. We spend a few days in the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area on our annual trek to Florida and that includes a day trip to Maggie Valley and Waynesville.

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    Again

well, a major rock slide has closed I-40 once again .... I sure hope the politicians who forced the construction of I-40 to run through that area (against the advice of the engineers) are happy .... once again millions of dollars and months of inconvenience for thousands and thousands of folks is going to have to be spent to reopen I-40

Jim

Leave a comment:

• muddy princess sara
    replied
    That truly shocks me that they are still working on it.

Just last year we had the entire west bound lane of 64 sink on the west side of Ashland KY. This altered our travel route to Maysville Ky for winter racing. We choose to travel up the ohio side and cut over at the Greenup locks and dams. But our trips home we always had to hit 64 east bound in order to dump our tanks at the Flying J right outside Ashland. While there is still road work going on in that area it is not due to the sinking area. Its just a vast road repair for both WV and KY. Actually WV may take a while they are replacing an entire bridge. This may once again detour our west bound route but we still must hit the area east bound.

We also locally (in ohio) suffered a rock slide that took the state a full week to remove. While small rock slides in that are are common there hasn't been a large rock slide in that area since I was a very young girl. They hired a team to come and remove some extra rocks the state felt may fall in the next few years, seams thats what took them so long to get the road cleared for travel again.

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    update

on Aug 5, 2010 when we reentered NC via I-40 the east bound lanes were wide open .... west bound traffic was still restricted to one lane through the area of the slide .... from the looks of the work going on, I don't anticipate that changing for a good while to come .... traffic backups in that area are entirely dependent upon the volume of traffic at any given time .... folks needing to travel that section of west bound I-40 would be wise to try to do so at non-peak traffic times

Jim

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    Originally posted by Popeye View Post
    Well, keep a sharp eye out
    understood .... years ago when they had the last major slide we had driven through there less than a day earlier .... on our way back home we had to take a very different route

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Popeye
    replied
    Well, keep a sharp eye out

Leave a comment:

Working...
X