This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fueling Recommendations

The purpose of this thread is to provide folks with information on good places to buy fuel when traveling through areas we aren’t familiar with. If you know of any good or bad locations please post your comments. The types of info that might be helpful is exact location, big rig friendly ? , pumps available on both sides of vehicle ? , high speed pumps ? , open 24 hours ? , other services available ?

Jim
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

Youngsville, NC, between Raleigh and Henderson. There is a Shell station at the intersection of 96 and US1 that is big-rig friendly (diesel) pumps on both sides. The diesel pump furthest away from the road takes credit cards. This is close to where I work and is usually where I fuel up my truck. The easiest access is to turn onto 96 west then turn into the station. There is also a Waffle House next door, Ace Hardware, Food Lion, and CVS pharmacy across US1.

My GPS erroneously lists this Shell station about a mile east, in case you look for it on your GPS.

ON EDIT: I don't stop there anymore, the prices have not been that great lately, and the card reader was not working for months (don't have any idea if they fixed it yet). The best prices lately seem to be at the Sheetz that is a mile or two south (on US1) or another couple of miles south at the Cruizers. The Cruizers is probably the easiest to get in/out of, especially if traveling south. It is just north of the US1/H98 bridge, between the Wendys and Smithfield BBQ.
    Last edited by toprudder; 07-15-2010, 07:56 PM. Reason: Updated info.
    2009 KZ MXT20 Toyhauler (Thanks Camptown RV)
    2007.0 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison:applause:
    And all the model airplanes I can haul!
    sigpic

Comment

Lots of places along I85/I40 between Greensboro and Durham, including a Flying J. However, I stop at exit 154 and pull into the Shell station. It is on the opposite side of the interstate from the Sheetz. They have diesel, high-speed pumps, and it is big-rig friendly.
      sigpic

Comment

as has been mentioned in several threads, NC's gas/fuel taxes are among the highest in the nation .... as a prime example: today (Jan. 6, 2010) we filled at the Latta Flying J on I-95 at exit 181A (about 11 miles below the state line) in SC .... they were charging $2.649 a gallon for diesel .... when we crossed into NC we saw prices ranging from $2.75. to $2.919 .... it would pay folks to strongly consider making a fuel stop prior to entering NC

Jim
        Jim
        '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
        '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Two of the places that I pass on my way to work (just north of Raleigh) jumped from 2.79 to 2.85 just today, for diesel.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by toprudder View Post
            Two of the places that I pass on my way to work (just north of Raleigh) jumped from 2.79 to 2.85 just today, for diesel.
            Cold weather is causing a high demand for heating oil (Diesel by another name).
            At least that's the annual story from the oil companies.

John
            LaPorte, Colorado
            2003 F250 Superduty 6.0 Diesel, Auto - 2004 Sunnybrook Solanta 2816 - 2004 Brakesmart - 2006 Hensley Arrow

To be Old and Wise, You Must First be Young and Stupid!

Don't do something permanently stupid just because you're temporarily upset!

Comment

Originally posted by ColoradoNative View Post
              At least that's the annual story from the oil companies.
              Yeah, they have a long list of excuses they can use.
              sigpic

Comment

Some of the higher priced stations here are about to break the $3 mark
                sigpic
                PAULA AND GARY

2014 Phaeton 40 QBH
                2015 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4

Comment

Oh Yes!

Weeks away from leaving for Florida, Diesel starts to go up, what else is new. Yup the speculators are in there buying again forcing the price up.
                  Heating Oil companies have already know their oil commitments for the season going on last years gallon usage. It's all nuts.
                  Westwind
                  Rhode Island
                  2015 GMC Sierra 3500 D/A CC, Short Bed, Iridium
                  2008 GMC D/A Xtended Cab, Short Bed, Stealth Grey
                  Hensley TrailSaver BD3 Hitch
                  2012 Heartland Bighorn 3070TL
                  2002 Sunnybrook, 26FK (sold but not Forgotten)
                  Hensley Arrow (Swapped for a BD3)
                  sigpic

Comment

It's usually 10 to 20 cents lower in SC than NC. It's also lower in VA, by about the same amount. NC used to have the best secondary highways but now they don't. Taxes are still higher though. I think it's a rule, once taxes go up, they never come down.
                    Going the extra mile just means you missed your exit.

The Black Pearl '07.5 Dodge 3500 Q/C 3500 DRW LB 6.7 CTD Orion 6 sp auto

'07 SB 31 BWKSLX w/King Bed Slide
                    sigpic

Comment

I edited my earlier post about the Shell on US1 at Youngsville. I don't stop there anymore, the prices have not been that great lately, and the card reader was not working for months (don't have any idea if they fixed it yet). The best prices lately seem to be at the Sheetz that is a mile or two south (on US1) or another couple of miles south at the Cruizers. The Cruizers is probably the easiest to get in/out of, especially if traveling south. It is just north of the US1/H98 bridge, between the Wendys and Smithfield BBQ.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X