Ohio Turnpike cheats 5'ers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio Turnpike cheats 5'ers

I just discovered that the Ohio Turnpike charges a higher toll for a pickup truck towing a fifth wheel trailer than for a pickup truck towing a travel trailer. From one side of the state to the other the toll is $42.25 vs $35.75. Yes, both are too high. This doesn't seem right. Has anyone else noticed this?

The higher toll is not because of length or weight. I'm calling the Turnpike Commission of Monday to see who I can bitch at.
    Jim & Delores
    2005 30RKFS
    2005 2500HD D/A 4WD ext cab long box
    Jordan Ultima

INEPTOCRACY: a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Ohio Turnpike cheats 5'ers

They may charge for volume, not length?

We got on a toll road yesterday on I-185. Paid $4.80. Drove 10 miles and had to cough up another $4.80 to get off! Never again!

$1.20 an axle.
    2011 Jayco Eagle 351RLTS, MorRyde hitchpin
    2017 F350 Lariat PSD CC,SB,SRW, 3.55, FX4, LineX
    B&W Turnover
    Andersen 3220 Ultimate
    Elle and BJ - Da Pups

In the past:
    97 27RKFS SB
    04 30RKFS SB Titan

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of your today." Will Rogers

Comment

When we pulled through there, I remember the toll card indicated the number of axles would generate a variation in the rate. Nothing stated about length, volume, or weight.

It has been several years since we towed through that area, so it may be different now.
      sigpic
      Marv and Mary
      '06 SB 32BWKS
      2014 Silverado, 3500 HD Duramax/Allison, Long Bed, 4X4

Comment

Originally posted by BC Jim View Post
        I just discovered that the Ohio Turnpike charges a higher toll for a pickup truck towing a fifth wheel trailer than for a pickup truck towing a travel trailer. From one side of the state to the other the toll is $42.25 vs $35.75. Yes, both are too high. This doesn't seem right. Has anyone else noticed this?

The higher toll is not because of length or weight. I'm calling the Turnpike Commission of Monday to see who I can bitch at.
        EZ Pass or some guy in a toll booth picking on you?
        2006 Ford E-350 V-10, 4.10, Roadmaster Active Suspension, Maxbrake Controller
        2013 Jayco Eagle 324-BTS, 36 Ft, 925 Tongue Weight, 8,000lbs, Henley Hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Clevelandjim View Post
          EZ Pass or some guy in a toll booth picking on you?
          I don't have EZ Pass (I wouldn't use it enough to justify the lease cost). The ticket machine at the toll booth near Toledo spit out a class 4 ticket.

When I went to pay at exit 232 I told the attendant I've always been class 3. She told me nope, you're class 4. I disagreed so she pointed at the silhouette sheet behind her. See, you're here in class 4 except it showed a commercial truck and a triple axle behind a pickup. Pickup and travel trailer is class 3. Then she asks if I want a supervisor. Yep. Supervisor said you're a class 4. The sensors say I'm more than 7'6" above the second axle.

On our return trip I'll take longer and stay off the turnpike and keep the $30 in my pocket. I'll have to use the turnpike from the east entrance until the first exit at 232. I'm going to let all the air out of the bags to see if that changes the 7'6" measure point. I'll know right away by looking at the ticket when I get it.
          Jim & Delores
          2005 30RKFS
          2005 2500HD D/A 4WD ext cab long box
          Jordan Ultima

INEPTOCRACY: a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Comment

I think New York does the same thing. Years ago 2 friends were traveling there, one in a travel trailer and one in a 5th wheel. The 5th wheel was charged considerably more. Betty was told their toll was more because the 5th wheel was higher. Go figure!
            Bobbi, Don, and Vinny & Kaiser
            2018 Fleetwood Discovery LXE
            Previously:
            2007 Sunnybrook 33CKTS
            [SIGPIC]

Comment

That is nothing try taking a motor cycle with a utility same price as Greahound Bus 3 axels
              Ed & Maxine Thompson

Comment

Working...
              X