Lake Vesuvius, Wayne nat. forest.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake Vesuvius, Wayne nat. forest.

Im not sure any bigger 5th wheels would make it in this campground. It was built back in the 70's. So sites dont always accomidate slide outs or larger campers. You would really need to have a look at the sites before you picked one.

we got one of the biggest sites they had to offer, and it took us 30 mins to get backed into it. It wasnt that the site was small, it was that theres water pipes and tree stumps and tree's along site the road and the site its self.

There were several 25-30 ft class c campers there, and they really did fit in nicely.

there are two diffrent camping area with in the park. Oak hill and Iron ridge.

Oak hill has showers and flush toilets water at every site as well as 30 amp electric and a reg 20 amp outlet as well. Most of your pickneck tables and fire pits are either at the back end of your site or the other side of your camper.

Iron ridge is very pretty but only about 8 of there 30 sites have electric and you have to share a water sourse on only 4 water spots. some of these sites will not allow for slide outs either. but you are enveloped in trees that are wonderfuly cooling.

We went with 3 other familys. The boys took a 7 hr trail ride on there atvs on sat just a few miles down the road on the local trails. They had a blast.

there is only one dump station for both campsites. In the summer months it could be a little crowded, it would make me hold off on all the cleaning till i got home in order to get hitched and dumped before the line forms.

All in all this camp ground was what I expected from a Fed park. Simple, cheap and just the basics of needs.

We saw park officials at least 2 times per day. they were helpful when questions were asked. They did give us a bit of a lashing for letting the kids ride bikes on trails. There was no posted signs that it was just a hiking trail so (david) said untill theres a sign posted or a rule written he wouldnt keep them from riding. He also called and spoke to the park ranger in charge and advised that a sign would be helpful to parents and kids alike. This is when we found out that kids were allowed on the trails with bikes w/o any problem, they had just had some bear sightings. That would of been helpful to know when we got into the park....oh well.

We saw no bears or any wild life so to speak of. Just lots of bugs and spiders.

We had a wonderful, quiet, weekend.

Pro's , you can hang a hammock from any tree big enough, and they have alot. Its very quiet. Lots of shade. Lots of space between some of the best sites. Cheap. 21$ a night for water and electric. They have lots of fish in a stocked lake. Easy to walk trails and pet friendly.

con's It has narrow roads and tight sights. Only one shower house. only one dump station.
    08 sunny brook sunset creek 341SRD -sold after several years of amazing memories
    2014 Open Range 397fbs. For the next stage of camping.
    2008 Ford F-450 King Ranch.
    hoping to make memories that last a lifetime, and shared over the campfire.

Sara, Just a suggestion. If you are going out again soon, haul the tanks home and dump them into the next campground. If you had that option, it could prevent being stuck in the Sunday morning line out of the CG.
    2011 Jayco Eagle 351RLTS, MorRyde hitchpin
    2017 F350 Lariat PSD CC,SB,SRW, 3.55, FX4, LineX
    B&W Turnover
    Andersen 3220 Ultimate
    Elle and BJ - Da Pups

In the past:
    97 27RKFS SB
    04 30RKFS SB Titan

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of your today." Will Rogers

Comment

thank you for the idea. we actually found a few gas stations that offer dump stations, just not the water to rinse out after your done. but to me its worth it if theres a long line.
      08 sunny brook sunset creek 341SRD -sold after several years of amazing memories

Comment

*UPDATE* Summer 2011

After hearing the park got a 700,000 budget to upgrade and expand the park last year we took a trip out prior to the season starting to find that they indeed expanded and revamped several areas. Altho this past winter the older section of the park suffered a bridge being washed out they do have a bypass set up but I wouldn't even attempt to drive my D/W truck across that. How anyone took campers is beyond me.

We stayed in the Pine Knob area, the expanded section. I am very glad to say they have minimal trees to affect the sites and ability to drive and back into the sites. Huge thumbs up for that. As far as the rest of the park they have updated the bath house and is in much much better shape then previous years. Granted they still have a few dump toilets that I call glorified outhouses. So if your not Ok with that avoid this park.

We did not personally ask a ranger but have been told that running a line over the hill to drain GRAY tanks is allowed. For our weekend stay this was not needed. They still only have one dump station for all sections of the park. We lucked out and had no traffic in front of us, altho by the time we were pulling out we had 4 campers behind us.

We really do enjoy the park. Its quiet and you feel safe. And its pretty close to home. Altho only 30 amp but again its a state park.

We also had a cub scout pack at the park the weekend we were there, altho I'm not sure we came across any of them, just saw a lot of the parents.

Im attaching photos.
        Attached Files

Comment

Photo 1- Our campsite with a fantastic really heavy table.
          photo 2 across from our site a parking lot that you can use if you want or need extra space.
          Photo 3- Glorified outhouse
          Photo 4- road around section of campground.
          Photo 5- Open site photo.
          Photo 6- Pull thru site that at the back end is slightly uneven (lol) once you pull thru it levels out well.
          Photo 7- The pay area if you did not reserve your site online. You fill out a form envelope place money in and drop it in a box. The honest engine system.
          Photo 8- Campground sign.
          Attached Files

Comment

One word Sara... FloJet

I never again worry about waiting in a dump line... Cause there's no line sitting in my driveway.
            Jeff, Julie, Cameron, & Taylor Lockhart - Wauconda, IL

2021 F-350 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat FX4
            2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er: "Cram-A-Lot Inn"

Visit our family online - www.thelockharts.com
            Find us / "friend" us on social websites - Facebook

Comment

We have a floJet and if there had been a line we would of dumped at home. Until next month we still have to haul our water to a holding tank, David has to make a trip each week for a load of water and if we can save several gallons by dumping at the park and flushing the tank with an extra fresh water flush we try and do so... Altho once the city water line is in were having a celebration.

Comment

Working...
              X