Altus AFB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Altus AFB

If you are eligible to camp on a military installation, Altus AFB, in the Southwest region of OK is a small but nice campground. The sites will accommodate large rigs, but if you are towing a vehicle, or if you're combined length of your TV and 5th wheel or trailer is much longer than 36 feet, you'll have to park your vehicle perpendicular to your rig, or use the space for parking at the end of the lot. The lots are concrete and level, which is nice. The sites are a bit close together, but there is a picnic table for each site, and there is 50-amp service and full hookups.

You can make reservations up to 30 days in advance, and the sites are about $17/day.

This just happened to work for us this trip because it's near my cousin's house, and we've been spending the week with them.

The commissary is right across the street from the campground.

The campground is just inside the gate on your left. They will tell you in the office to park at the building next to where you check in, which is fine. However, you will have to make the first left when you pull out again (if you have a larger rig) and go around the block back to the round-about. The directions on their website has you turn on F St just past the commissary, but the street sign says something else. Just know that you turn left at the corner just past the commissary. If you miss it, just take the next road down, like we did.

Just know before you come - there are no other facilities here! It is simply a place to park and hook up. No laundry, no bathroom/shower. The only negative thing I can say is that there are a lot of sticker-burrs in the grass here.

Next time we visit my cousin here, we'll camp here again.

Zerelda
    Attached Files
    Dan & Zerelda Hammer
    Pensacola, FL
    SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
    2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Be careful with those sand burs, check your feet each time you go back inside .
    If the come lose in the carpet it is a shocking experience when barefoot.
    I think it is the Oklahoma state flower.
    My yard is sprayed 4 times a year and that keeps them at bay, but they peek the heads through the fence all around us.

When you were passing through, Tinker AFB also has a CG. not sure what is nearby inside the gates, but there is a large new shopping center on the north side of the street.
    That is where Bud & Michelle stayed when we met up at Panera Bread.

Lee
    Lee & Mamie http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_Msigpic
    Buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own
    04 - 2500 Chevy CC Silverado - D/A
    07 - Tahoe LTZ w/tow package,
    16K Pullrite Super Slide
    2006 Excel 30RSO
    All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

Originally posted by staggerlee View Post
      Be careful with those sand burs, check your feet each time you go back inside .
      If the come lose in the carpet it is a shocking experience when barefoot.
      I think it is the Oklahoma state flower.
      Lee
      We both (and both dogs) had that unfortunate experience.

Sorry we missed hooking up between Skiatook and Altus. It would have been to difficult to try to schedule a meet/greet/eat. The day we left Skiatook, we had to stop and have some welding done on the front end - something about the jacks that I would have to have Dan explain again. Suffice it to say that if whatever it was that was cracked had broken when it was holding the weight of the rig, it wouldn't have been good.

Zerelda
      Dan & Zerelda Hammer
      Pensacola, FL
      SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
      2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

Working...
      X