USS Batfish at War Memorial Park - Muskogee, Oklahoma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USS Batfish at War Memorial Park - Muskogee, Oklahoma

I can't even remember how many years it was that I kept telling myself that I would travel over to Muskogee, Oklahoma from Oklahoma City to see this old WWII submarine. We lived in the Oklahoma City area for around 25 years, but it was only within the last 3 years that we made it there.

The USS Batfish is the premier exhibit at the War Memorial Park in Muskogee, but there are other displays as well, mostly naval items if I remember right. One is able to walk through the old warship, which created a pretty good reputation for itself. The website at the link above gives a lot of information, including patrol reports for the Batfish.

The really interesting thing to me was to walk through and see just how little space there was for those living and fighting on the submarines. Unfortunately, my pictures don't do justice for showing that perspective. It certainly makes one realize the hardships that were experienced during WWII. All of my uncles served in WWII in the Navy in the Pacific, although I don't think any of them were in submarines.

The Batfish was floated up the Arkansas River to Muskogee and slipped into its location. After placing it, they then filled in the levee along the river and pumped out the water from within the basin created for the display of the Batfish.

One of the Batfish's "shootin' irons." Check out that exquisite seat for the gunner. Doesn't that look comfy?

The next are the USS Batfish's maneuvering controls. I wonder how long it took for sailors to really get proficient with these controls. Now-a-days, it seems like they operate with joy sticks.

This last picture is of 40mm guns, but not used on the submarines. These were likely only on surface ships. This display was on the grounds of the War Memorial Park, along with so many others.

The War Memorial Park is not open year round, so one needs to plan their trips to go see it. However, if one is a history fan of any kind, this is an excellent place to visit.

A lot more photos can be seen of the Batfish at Google Images, although one has to scroll down a ways to see more images of the interior. I'll try to get some more resized and post them here.

Terry
    Terry and Jo

2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3
    2008 Ford F450
    2010 Ford F150 (Scout or Tag-a-long)

Two minor works in progress....pictures taken over the years and a blog:

Terry and Jo's Photobucket Account

Ignoring the Barking Dogs

Found this video on youtube. Not very informative, but it doez show photos of the inside.
    Tour the USS Batfish - WW2 submarine: http://youtu.be/6tklvQlCI1k

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using tapatalk.
    My friends call me Woody (among other things)
    My DW's name is Cindy
    2007 Sunnybrook Brookside 301 RBS
    2008 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD LTZ dually D/A
    sigpic

Comment

Looks like the tractor seat on my grandfathers Farmall and several of his implements. I have a couple around here....
      Clif and Millie
      Mabank, TX (sorta)
      2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Allison/Duramax Dually
      2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler
      2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

Comment

More photos from the Batfish interior. In this first one, the large black gauge indicates depth. The gauge to its right is the "Stern Plane Angle Indicator."

Sleeping arrangements for the enlisted crew. Tiers of bunks are three high, and if I remember right, there were two sets in the middle and one on each side. There were also bunks in the torpedo room and elsewhere. I'll post officer's quarters later.

And, for those of you that are gourmet cooks, here is the "kitchen" to die for; crew's galley. I'll also post pictures later of the officer's mess and wardroom.

Terry
        Terry and Jo

2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3
        2008 Ford F450
        2010 Ford F150 (Scout or Tag-a-long)

Two minor works in progress....pictures taken over the years and a blog:

Terry and Jo's Photobucket Account

Ignoring the Barking Dogs

Comment

Did you see anyone wearing Roman sandals while you were there?
          DZWISS
          Ford 2011 F350 6.7 PSD, Titan 50 Gal. fuel tank
          2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27 FB
          Cavco Park Model in AZ

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for." Will Rogers

Comment

Working...
          X