James Island County Park, Charleston, SC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Island County Park, Charleston, SC

Great park 3 miles from Folly Beach and Historic Charleston. Full service CG. No cable.

Much to do in park. Wide sites, most separated by foliage, Water park in summer, miles of bike and walking trails, fresh and salt water fishing, canoe and kayak rentals or bring your own, climbing wall, Large playground for all ages. dog walk area, etc

Make reservations because this is a busy park.

Charleston County Parks and Recreation

We live 3 miles from this park and camp there often.
    Last edited by norty; 10-28-2007, 02:14 AM. Reason: addl info
    2011 Jayco Eagle 351RLTS, MorRyde hitchpin
    2017 F350 Lariat PSD CC,SB,SRW, 3.55, FX4, LineX
    B&W Turnover
    Andersen 3220 Ultimate
    Elle and BJ - Da Pups

In the past:
    97 27RKFS SB
    04 30RKFS SB Titan

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of your today." Will Rogers

Great Place

Originally posted by norty View Post
    Great park 3 miles from Folly Beach and Historic Charleston. Full service CG. No cable.

Much to do in park. Wide sites, most separated by foliage, Water park in summer, miles of bike and walking trails, fresh and salt water fishing, canoe and kayak rentals or bring your own, climbing wall, Large playground for all ages.

Make reservations because this is a busy park.

Charleston County Parks and Recreation

We live 3 miles from this park and camp there often.
    Now, that sounds like a great place.
    Lee
    Lee & Mamie http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_Msigpic
    Buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own
    04 - 2500 Chevy CC Silverado - D/A
    07 - Tahoe LTZ w/tow package,
    16K Pullrite Super Slide
    2006 Excel 30RSO
    All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

we are booked in there for the week between Christmas and New Years with norty and some of his friends ... we are really looking forward to it

Jim
      Jim
      '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
      '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '16 Camaro RS

Comment

There will be at least 9 Sunnybrooks there, Not to late to call and get reservations. Would love to have a big group. We are not organized in any way, just a sort of tradition that we all like to perpetuate.
        B&W Turnover
        Andersen 3220 Ultimate
        Elle and BJ - Da Pups

In the past:
        97 27RKFS SB
        04 30RKFS SB Titan

Comment

as this is being written we are camping at James Island with norty and several members of his SB Club .... this is truly a very nice park .... they have Christmas light display, that runs from around Thanksgiving to around New Years, that lines the entire roadway through the park .... to say it is exceptional would be a major, major understatement .... walking and bike paths run everywhere .... fishing lake is really nice .... campground area is somewhat isolated from the main road through the park but if you come in after dark you'll have a slow drive to the CG entrance .... variety of site that would fit most any style of camping .... water pressure is very strong .... electrical and sewer services are good ..... very popular area and as norty mentions above, make reservations well ahead of time (hint, understand most sites are already reserved for this time next year) .... $30 a night is very reasonable for the level of services provided .... we would most certainly come here again

Jim
          Jim
          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
          '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Looks likes like today and tomorrow might be a bit iffy but some good weather the first of next week. Enjoy the camping. Wishing we were there.

Ron
            Ron & Sherri
            2011 Carriage Carri Lite 36 xtrm5
            2005 Freighhtliner Sportchassis

Comment

Originally posted by 54Lightning View Post
              Looks likes like today and tomorrow might be a bit iffy but some good weather the first of next week. Enjoy the camping. Wishing we were there.

Ron
              raining right now but is in the mid 70's .... here it is Dec.29th and we have the air conditioner running :wink!: .... only negative I have found to this park is the roads to it have so many overhanging trees that it is almost like driving through a cave :jawdrop: .... must admit I slowed to near 0 mph several times out of fear of hitting limbs .... must have been OK because with our unit's 13' 5" height, there is no sign of impact damage :dizzy:

Jim
              Jim
              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
              '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Limbs

the roads to it have so many overhanging trees that it is almost like driving through a cave .... must admit I slowed to near 0 mph several times out of fear of hitting limbs

Jim, that sounds like the streets in my area.
                But this ice storm has taken care of quite a few of them.
                The City told me all I had to do was knock on someones door and tell them I was going to cut the tree down in the "right of way" then cut it down and remove it.
                I don't think that would work very well in this neck of the woods.
                A person could very well get shot.
                I guess you could call the cops, and have then stand by while you did the deed.
                There is one down the street that I will asked about though. It has no branches at all left on it.
                But it is arching up and over the street. And from where it connects at the bottom looks like it could just break off.
                Lee
                Lee & Mamie http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_Msigpic
                Buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own
                04 - 2500 Chevy CC Silverado - D/A
                07 - Tahoe LTZ w/tow package,
                16K Pullrite Super Slide
                2006 Excel 30RSO
                All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

We will be in Charleston in June. Does anyone have any campsite recommendations ?

Thanks,
                  Todd
                  2011 Ford F-350 DRW CC Ultimate Lariat
                  2007 Cedar Creek Silverback 33LBHTS

Comment

In this area there are 2 KOA's. One in Ladson and one in Mt. Pleasant. Another CG that is convenient is Oak Plantation on Hwy 17S. The best is James Island County Park. If you are planning on coming here and staying at JICP, now is the time to make reservations. All are listed in campground directories.
                    B&W Turnover
                    Andersen 3220 Ultimate
                    Elle and BJ - Da Pups

In the past:
                    97 27RKFS SB
                    04 30RKFS SB Titan

Comment

Originally posted by norty View Post
                      In this area there are 2 KOA's. One in Ladson and one in Mt. Pleasant. Another CG that is convenient is Oak Plantation on Hwy 17S. The best is James Island County Park. If you are planning on coming here and staying at JICP, now is the time to make reservations. All are listed in campground directories.
                      I spoke with Joyce this morning at JICP. There is a good selection of sites available at this time. I guess what I was looking for was if there was an area of the park that might be prefered over another. Any recommendations ?

I was also told that they are currently upgrading all the sites to 50 amp service :applause:.

Todd
                      2011 Ford F-350 DRW CC Ultimate Lariat
                      2007 Cedar Creek Silverback 33LBHTS

Comment

tsmith

I can honestly say there is not a bad site there. They are upgrading the electrical connections. Some have 50A, some 30A, Some 20A. They are also clearing some underbrush. There are a good many sites on a small lake that I would say are a nice touch and are preferable. They have information at the reservation desk that will tell which length rig the site can handle. The web site is listed here if you want to look at it. Sure hope you can work it out. I know you will have a great time.
                        B&W Turnover
                        Andersen 3220 Ultimate
                        Elle and BJ - Da Pups

In the past:
                        97 27RKFS SB
                        04 30RKFS SB Titan

Comment

Originally posted by tsmith View Post
                          I spoke with Joyce this morning at JICP. There is a good selection of sites available at this time. I guess what I was looking for was if there was an area of the park that might be prefered over another. Any recommendations ?

I was also told that they are currently upgrading all the sites to 50 amp service :applause:.

Todd
                          if you want a clear view of the southern sky, as my may expect, some sites are better than others .... if that is the case, the pull th roughs appeared to me to have less tree overhang

Jim
                          Jim
                          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                          '16 Camaro RS

Comment

May stay in May.

I have a Voodoo Pilots reunion in Chattanooga the middle of May. We are thinking of making it an RV trip this year instead of flying. Visit our son at Special Forces Command in Tampa and then up the east coast with stops in Savanah and Charleston before going over to Chattanooga via Ashville. We have good memories of the SC coast when we were stationed Sumter and used to camp there with our three boys in our Starcraft pop-up. We'll decide soon since it may be hard to get into James Island if we tarry.

BTW, the reunion is at Chattanooga Choo Choo in the historic district. Any recommendations on places to leave the rv near the hotel from you locals? Bill
                            2001 Mobile Scout 30RK
                            2001 Ford F-250 PSD

Comment

Voodoo...
                              One thing we found on our last stay at JICP is they have a great cancellation policy. You can hold a reservation with one night deposit. You can cancel up to 6 PM the day before check in and get a full refund.
                              B&W Turnover
                              Andersen 3220 Ultimate
                              Elle and BJ - Da Pups

In the past:
                              97 27RKFS SB
                              04 30RKFS SB Titan

Comment

Working...
                              X