Medina Lake, Thousand Trails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medina Lake, Thousand Trails

We are now at the Medina Lake Thousand Trails at Lakehills, TX.

Last week while we were at Lake Conroe the lake was down about 7 feet. The lake here, Medina Lake, is said to be down 30 to 50 feet. It looks like at least 50 to me.

Here are some photos of where the lake used to be.
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    Marv and Mary
    '06 SB 32BWKS
    2014 Silverado, 3500 HD Duramax/Allison, Long Bed, 4X4

The local whitetail herd at Medina Lake preserve is very friendly.
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    Marv and Mary
    '06 SB 32BWKS

Comment

wow .... no, let me rephrase that WOW ... ... I know folks have been saying that Medina is down but I had no clue it was down that far .... even with the pictures that is hard for us to believe .... well understood on the deer pictures, those critters were everywhere when we were there

Jim
      Jim
      '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
      '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Deer

Where there are deer there are deer ticks, in some parts of the country that means Limes disease. Be careful.
        Daniel Piippo
        Dan & Cricket - ON THE ROAD,
        08 F-350, SD ,PSD, 4X4 DRW ,C/C LB,Tow Boss 4.30,
        5 Speed Auto, Valley Tow 20K Slider, Marquis 5.5KW Propane Vapor
        "11" FLTRU Road Glide Ultra, 2003 FXDL Dyna Low Rider. 08 Sunnybrook Titan 391SURV
        Retired,
        Elio reserved,All In, 100 Shares purchased

Comment

Originally posted by amerfinn View Post
          Where there are deer there are deer ticks, in some parts of the country that means Limes disease. Be careful.
          Thanks for the heads up!

Now I have that to worry about, too! That is in addition to everything else I have been warned about, like the rattlesnakes, and the thunderstorms, and the tornados, and the possibility of a chance encounter with Willy Nelson.

By the way, contrary to what I have heard, "everything" is NOT bigger in Texas. I wonder whether ticks would waste their time on these little things. In the photo of the deer and ducks, I estimate the food value represented in that photo is: one deer equals two ducks.

I commented elsewhere about the size of some of the deer we see here, in comparison to those we have in North Dakota. The adults in this population of deer appear to be about half the size of those that wander the streets of Turtle Lake, North Dakota in the winter time. Maybe it has something to do with diet.
          sigpic
          Marv and Mary
          '06 SB 32BWKS

Comment

Weather in TX is harsh at times. I seem to remember it was 2007 they were terrified that Medina Lake dam was on the verge of failure because of the extraordinarily high levels in the lake. Everyone was screaming to lower the level, but the gates were full open. Now it is lower than usual. Well, it will probably change and maybe overnight.

when we were at Canyon Lake (NE of San Antonio) in one 24 hour period it rained 22 inches on the Guadalupe River watershed. Lake level rose dramatically, so much so that water 6 ft deep was going over the emergency overflow. The overflow is 300 yards wide and the estimated flow was 85000 cu/ft per second. A cu ft is 7.68 gallons, so you do the math, my head hurts.

All I am saying is the last summer has really hurt all the lakes in Texas. If the drought continues it is going to get really serious. OMG, there might not be enough water to water the golf courses. The end of the world as we know it.

Ken and Fran
            South Plains of Texas
            06 31BWKS Sunnybrook
            04 F250 SuperDuty

Comment

The drought has affected this state too.
              To many days of 100+ days in a row with no rain.

You can't find hay here.
              People are going to Mo. & Ark. to find it, and they are getting low.
              Round bales are up to $90.00 right now.

Farm ponds/tanks are low or dry.
              Some of the livestock are really looking bad.
              Lee
              Lee & Mamie http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_Msigpic
              Buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own
              04 - 2500 Chevy CC Silverado - D/A
              07 - Tahoe LTZ w/tow package,
              16K Pullrite Super Slide
              2006 Excel 30RSO
              All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

Originally posted by staggerlee View Post
                The drought has affected this state too.
                To many days of 100+ days in a row with no rain.

You can't find hay here.
                People are going to Mo. & Ark. to find it, and they are getting low.
                Round bales are up to $90.00 right now.

Farm ponds/tanks are low or dry.
                Some of the livestock are really looking bad.
                Lee
                I paid $120 two weeks ago for a round bale. I hear tell of them going up to $160 down South.
                2010 Gulfstream Gulfbreeze 26QBS
                2012 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW 4X4

Comment

Originally posted by MAAX2 View Post
                  Thanks for the heads up!

Now I have that to worry about, too! That is in addition to everything else I have been warned about, like the rattlesnakes, and the thunderstorms, and the tornados, and the possibility of a chance encounter with Willy Nelson.

By the way, contrary to what I have heard, "everything" is NOT bigger in Texas. I wonder whether ticks would waste their time on these little things. In the photo of the deer and ducks, I estimate the food value represented in that photo is: one deer equals two ducks.

I commented elsewhere about the size of some of the deer we see here, in comparison to those we have in North Dakota. The adults in this population of deer appear to be about half the size of those that wander the streets of Turtle Lake, North Dakota in the winter time. Maybe it has something to do with diet.
                  Yep, it has everything to do with diet. Texas as you know is a big state. The German Shepard size dog of deer that you are seeing don't exist in other parts of the state. Those are what we call "hill country deer".

Down in the brush country between Corpus and San Antone, a little south, is where exist the Boone & Crockett bucks that you have to have mucho dinero if you want to hunt them. Like around the King Ranch. (It's bigger than some of the New England states).

Regards,
                  Ken
                  2010 Gulfstream Gulfbreeze 26QBS
                  2012 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW 4X4

Comment

Back, Again

We arrived this afternoon for our second visit to Medina Lake in as many years. The lake looks the same as last year, no water that I can see.

We got here at about 3:00 p.m. and didn't get many photos before it got dark. This nice buck greeted us as we pulled onto our site. The doe and fawn came right up to the picnic table as we were setting up the camper.

There are only about 40 sites in this campground that are supplied with 50 amp service and many of the campers who are here have taken them. We did find about 10 that were vacant, and we were not confident that we would be able to get a satellite signal for DirecTV. After I tried with my Carry Out dish, with it on the table, without success, I figured that I should try it on the roof of the camper. To my surprise, after about a minute and a half, I got a signal.

Here are the few photos we got today.
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic
                    Marv and Mary
                    '06 SB 32BWKS

Comment

Looks like a nice place to visit. Camp site looks large and the natives are friendly.

Comment

Lake Conroe

Camped at Lake Conroe recently. The park was about 80% full. This was a well maintained park and shopping was relatively close by. Weather was on the cooler side.

Comment

Lake Bed

Looking at that lake bed you wonder if it will ever again fill up, it's gonna take alot of rain thats for sure. Amazing pictures.
                          Westwind
                          Rhode Island
                          2015 GMC Sierra 3500 D/A CC, Short Bed, Iridium
                          2008 GMC D/A Xtended Cab, Short Bed, Stealth Grey
                          Hensley TrailSaver BD3 Hitch
                          2012 Heartland Bighorn 3070TL
                          2002 Sunnybrook, 26FK (sold but not Forgotten)
                          Hensley Arrow (Swapped for a BD3)
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MAAX2 View Post
                            ...we were not confident that we would be able to get a satellite signal for DirecTV. After I tried with my Carry Out dish, with it on the table, without success, I figured that I should try it on the roof of the camper. To my surprise, after about a minute and a half, I got a signal.....
                            I've used the roof trick with my Tailgater several times with great success.
                            Russell
                            '13 Excel Winslow 34IKE
                            '16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
                            Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS;
                            '01 Sunnybrook 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah

Comment

Originally posted by amerfinn View Post
                              Yes, just check this out.
                              Ticks close Brewster camp sites | CapeCodOnline.com
                              Lee & Mamie http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_Msigpic
                              Buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own
                              04 - 2500 Chevy CC Silverado - D/A
                              07 - Tahoe LTZ w/tow package,
                              16K Pullrite Super Slide
                              2006 Excel 30RSO
                              All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

Working...
                              X