Salt Lake City Camping and Interstate Driving Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salt Lake City Camping and Interstate Driving Question

Has anyone camped at the Lagoon RV Park in the Salt Lake City area? We might have a couple of options, but would like some suggestions before I make decisions.

Also - as we leave UT, what can you tell us about driving Interstate 84 up through Idaho and into OR, and the Interstate from there to WA state?

Thanks,

Zerelda
    Dan & Zerelda Hammer
    Pensacola, FL
    SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
    2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

sorry, no knowledge of Lagoon ... when we are in Salt Lake City, we camp at Cherry Hill .... rates were competitive for the area ... mostly families with kids when we were there
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Originally posted by rvduo View Post
      Has anyone camped at the Lagoon RV Park in the Salt Lake City area? We might have a couple of options, but would like some suggestions before I make decisions.

Also - as we leave UT, what can you tell us about driving Interstate 84 up through Idaho and into OR, and the Interstate from there to WA state?

Thanks,

Zerelda
      No knowledge of the RV park.
      I-84 is all good all the way to Portland, OR. The last time I was up that way there was some construction in the Boise ID area and going into Portland. Unless you plan to stay in Portland, it's best to take I-205 North and cross into WA to I-5 and then you will go around a lot of the major interstate issues getting through Portland. If you do take I-205, the exit from I-84 is kind of tricky so pay attention to the signs. If you miss the I-205 exit, continue on to I-5 and go north there, I-84 ends at I-5.

One thing to be aware of is a steep descent from the Blue Mountains down the west side toward Pendleton Oregon.

John
      LaPorte, Colorado
      2003 F250 Superduty 6.0 Diesel, Auto - 2004 Sunnybrook Solanta 2816 - 2004 Brakesmart - 2006 Hensley Arrow

To be Old and Wise, You Must First be Young and Stupid!

Don't do something permanently stupid just because you're temporarily upset!

Comment

Originally posted by ColoradoNative View Post

One thing to be aware of is a steep descent from the Blue Mountains down the west side toward Pendleton Oregon.
        How steep?
        Z

Dan & Zerelda Hammer
        Pensacola, FL
        SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
        2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

We were lucky to get reservations at the military campground near Salt Lake City. But I need to fill in 12 days between two stays, so I think we might make an unplanned stop in Cheyenne. Might as well - we've never been there before. Apparently there is an air show going on near the end of June in UT, and the campgrounds are all full that weekend.
          Z
          Dan & Zerelda Hammer
          Pensacola, FL
          SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
          2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

How steep?
            Z

Wikipedia says: The Cabbage Hill grade east of Pendleton is a 6% grade, with several hairpin curves in both directions. The "hairpin curves" are pretty much large sweeping turns and really nothing to worry about. Just maintain a reasonably cautious speed and you will be fine. There is really no reasonable way around that stretch of road unless you take I-80 or I-90.

John
            LaPorte, Colorado
            2003 F250 Superduty 6.0 Diesel, Auto - 2004 Sunnybrook Solanta 2816 - 2004 Brakesmart - 2006 Hensley Arrow

Comment

We were lucky to get reservations at the military campground near Salt Lake City. But I need to fill in 12 days between two stays, so I think we might make an unplanned stop in Cheyenne. Might as well - we've never been there before. Apparently there is an air show going on near the end of June in UT, and the campgrounds are all full that weekend.
              Z
              While you are in Cheyenne, if you have an interest in the old steam railroad engines, one of the Big Boy engines is displayed there. They were the longest steam railroad engines built. It is an articulated engine and was used between Ogden Utah and Cheyenne hauling long freight trains over the Wasatch mountains. There is also The Union Pacific Depot Museum there and probably a museum associated with the Cheyenne Frontier Days Rodeo.

If Dan is a Veteran, You may be able to get a tour of Warren Air Force Base.

John
              LaPorte, Colorado

Comment

Have not stayed in SLC proper, have always stayed in Provo at Lakeside RV Park--nice CG, lots of shade. We are headed from St. George area to Seattle via a stop in Rexburg to see grandkids and then up thru eastern ID to stay at Bakers Hole just north of West Yellowstone--have several 30amp hookup sites, first come, first served. But last time up 15/84 to Hermiston, then 82 thru tri-cities area, the interstates were normal--some longggg climbs in places, but limited to 6%. Little research on RVParkReviews should come up with some dandy CGs along the way.

Or turn west at Ontario onto US 20 and plan a stop in Burns for the night. Some steeper climbs past Bend, OR, but found them ok to tackle. If you have no reason to go thru Portland, then stay on the previous route. Or take 84 all the way to Portland, that takes you thru the Columbia River Gorge--pretty nice scenery.
                '05 36 TK3 Mobiles Suites
                '09 F450 4x4--put out to pasture
                '10 F450 4x4--new to me
                First wife, back to 3 Yorkies
                Livin to go campin
                In the past: SB 26FK; 30FKS

Comment

While you are in Cheyenne, if you have an interest in the old steam railroad engines, one of the Big Boy engines is displayed there. They were the longest steam railroad engines built. It is an articulated engine and was used between Ogden Utah and Cheyenne hauling long freight trains over the Wasatch mountains. There is also The Union Pacific Depot Museum there and probably a museum associated with the Cheyenne Frontier Days Rodeo.

This is what we're hoping. However, they only take reservations 30 days out, so I have to wait until tomorrow to call.

Thanks for the other info too. It all sounds really interesting.

Z

Dan & Zerelda Hammer
                  Pensacola, FL
                  SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
                  2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

I'm not sure we'd ever had made this trip without our new truck. When we made our purchase, we got the heavier duty transmission, and we got the tow/haul pkg with the Jake brake. We've used it a few times already over this past year. We've done 6% & 7% grades before we got this truck (and hated it), so we should do okay. It's just nice to know in advance.
                    Z
                    Dan & Zerelda Hammer
                    Pensacola, FL
                    SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
                    2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

I'm not sure we'd ever had made this trip without our new truck. When we made our purchase, we got the heavier duty transmission, and we got the tow/haul pkg with the Jake brake. We've used it a few times already over this past year. We've done 6% & 7% grades before we got this truck (and hated it), so we should do okay. It's just nice to know in advance.
                      Z
                      There is also the Union Pacific Railroad SteamShop somewhere near the Big Boy Engine in Cheyenne.

You will be fine going over the Blue Mountains in Oregon.

I assumed that you were wanting too stay on I-84 and connect with I-5. However, the I-82 route that Wingnut60 suggested will take you directly into Seattle if you wish to do that.

If you want to explore the Portland area, there is Multinoma Falls approximately 30 miles east of Portland on I-84 in the Columbia Gorge that is worth an hour stop. There was a fire in the area about 6 months ago started by a 15 year old juvenile that had some of the area closed, but it appears to have been opened again in late march. The parking lot is a left hand exit so look it up on google earth or some up to date map program. The long parking spaces are all eastbound and require you to go around a median before you get to the main lot and then around again when you exit.

Years ago my wife and I spent half a day exploring a very interesting Japanese botanical garden in Portland, but I don't remember the name. I'm sure there are many interesting places to visit and explore.

I have family in the Olympia and Tacoma area so most of our trips were nearing an end when we were going through Portland and we were anxious to see kids, grand children and my sister's family.

John
                      LaPorte, Colorado

Comment

Thanks for the extra tips CONative! We do plan on a stay in/near Portland, also Seattle/Tacoma. Since our time is short, we're trying to hit the main places.
                        Z
                        Dan & Zerelda Hammer
                        Pensacola, FL
                        SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
                        2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

He is, and we did. They only had a back-in left, so we took it. It might be a bit small, but for the price, that's okay.
                          Z

Dan & Zerelda Hammer
                          Pensacola, FL
                          SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
                          2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

Working...
                          X