Highway 191 information requested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highway 191 information requested

Planning a trip to Yellowstone/Grand Teton. Does anyone have any information about travelling 191 north through Utah?
    Kirk and Terri

2009 Cameo 32 FWS
    2008 Nissan Frontier 152-hp 2.5-L, Bilstein® shock absorbers, Hill descent control and hill start assist
    B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch
    2011 Dachshund, chipped, in need of lift kit
    http://s890.photobucket.com/albums/a...%20End%20Park/

Originally posted by wkgordon View Post
    Planning a trip to Yellowstone/Grand Teton. Does anyone have any information about travelling 191 north through Utah?
    I have only been on Hwy. 191 from I-70 south to Moab. 191 north of I-70 to the Wyoming border looks like a very interesting trip. I have marked it for future planning. Thanks for making me look it up! If you decide to take it north a good trip report after would be appreciated.
    sigpic

2002 SunnyBrook 27FKS
    Hensley Arrow
    2006 Ford F250, King Ranch, Crew Cab, 6.0L PSD, Auto, 4X4, Integrated Brake controller.
    Sold 2000 F250 7.3L with 212,000 miles

Comment

Originally posted by wkgordon View Post
      I may be too late for your trip.

I have traveled most of 191 from I-40 in NM to Jackson WY and enjoyed all of it. There isn't much between Rock Springs and Pinedale WY - High desert Sage Brush country with lots of Antelope with some farming along the way. North of Vernal UT to Flaming Gorge Reservoir there are some steep places, but nothing your rig can't handle with ease.

Fill your tank in Vernal - Fuel in Dutch John UT was about $1/gal. higher than Vernal or Rock Springs.

John
      LaPorte, Colorado
      2003 F250 Superduty 6.0 Diesel, Auto - 2004 Sunnybrook Solanta 2816 - 2004 Brakesmart - 2006 Hensley Arrow

To be Old and Wise, You Must First be Young and Stupid!

Don't do something permanently stupid just because you're temporarily upset!

Comment

Thanks for the response. Got back a week ago, unfortunately we didn't make it that far. Got 90 miles from home and had a wreck. Stopped at red light and got rearendedbybuddypullingfiver.
        Kirk and Terri

2009 Cameo 32 FWS
        2008 Nissan Frontier 152-hp 2.5-L, Bilstein® shock absorbers, Hill descent control and hill start assist
        B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch
        2011 Dachshund, chipped, in need of lift kit
        http://s890.photobucket.com/albums/a...%20End%20Park/

Comment

Sorry to hear about your shortened trip. 191 is basically a good 2-lane road coming in from AZ--most long grades have passing lanes. There is some pretty nice red rocks scenery between Monticello and I-70. Moab is pretty busy with all kinds of off-road jeeps and atvs. You go by the entrances to Canyonlands and Arches NPs. I-70 to Price on 191 is pretty boring--nothing to see but Bookcliffs along the eastern side. From Price to Duchesne is thru Indian Canyon and has a pass to climb/descend--haven't been over that road in over 20 years. Duchesne to Vernal is a busy place--lots of small towns. Maeser to Dutch John has lots of climbing and switchbacks, but nothing real tough. Dutch John to WY border is interesting, but after that high desert nothing to I-80. From Rock Springs to Pinedale is also pretty boring, but then you start picking up lots of scenery and can begin to see what draws lots of people there.
          I have traveled most of this route many times in the past--cars, Jimmy/trailer, Expy/trailer and some bigger trucks. Wouldn't hesitate to go again if the route was best way to get somewhere. Gas can be hard to find along some stretches, and usually a little high.
          Hope this will help if you get to go in the future.
          Joe
          '05 36 TK3 Mobiles Suites
          '09 F450 4x4--put out to pasture
          '10 F450 4x4--new to me
          First wife, back to 3 Yorkies
          Livin to go campin
          In the past: SB 26FK; 30FKS

Comment

Working...
          X