Utah Hwy 12; Bryce Canyon NP to Capitol Reef NP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utah Hwy 12; Bryce Canyon NP to Capitol Reef NP

Has anyone here taken Utah Hwy 12 between Bryce Canyon NP and Capitol Reef NP while towing a trailer? We are considering doing just that and would appreciate any information on road conditions.

Thanks
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.

Judy and Joel,=Jfrow2

Originally posted by jfrow2 View Post
    Has anyone here taken Utah Hwy 12 between Bryce Canyon NP and Capitol Reef NP while towing a trailer? We are considering doing just that and would appreciate any information on road conditions.

Thanks
    We've done it both ways and would recommend it.

Two lane paved highway all the way except for an occasional passing lane.
    It's crooked through the Escelante Staircase, but well worth the drive. One section is along a narrow ridge that drops off into canyons with beautiful scenery on both sides. It's a fairly steep climb over the Boulder Mountains from Boulder to Torry UT, but you can look out to the East over the back country of Capitol Reef NP.

If you plan a stop in Escelante, here are some pictures from The Devils Garden and Calf Creek Canyon. You can drive to Devils Garden about 15 miles outside Escelante, but it is a 6 mile relatively easy if you are in reasonable shape round trip hike to Calf Creek Falls. It will be hot in the canyon even in late September.
    Attached Files

John
    LaPorte, Colorado
    2003 F250 Superduty 6.0 Diesel, Auto - 2004 Sunnybrook Solanta 2816 - 2004 Brakesmart - 2006 Hensley Arrow

To be Old and Wise, You Must First be Young and Stupid!

Don't do something permanently stupid just because you're temporarily upset!

Comment

For those of you wondering if you can travel and tow your trailer over mountain passes. Here is a web site for two Mountain Directories EAST and WEST. I highly recommend these two books. They provide great information with regards to DO's and DON'Ts. It will provide the grade % and the number of miles for each grade. A must have if you enjoy mountain travels.

Welcome to Mountain Directory
      2005 Mobile Scout 31' BWSF Titan
      2002 F350 7.3 PS BrakeSmart Afe Cold Air Induction
      Bilstein shocks

Comment

Just did this trip in July--I was worried at first about the 14% climb heading east, but it went just fine. Stayed at Escalante SP (lake is empty, dam being raised--only about 2 spaces big enough for us) for 2 nights and toured the area--some excellent rock formations/colors to view. If you have the time to go visit around, the Fruita NP camping area is very interesting--camping is no hookups, and was mostly filled up when we went thru. The highway thru the Oak Creek area is where the 14% grade was, and there are several 8-10-12 grades also and some switchbacks. But all in all, was an ok trip and I wouldn't hesitate to repeat it.
        Joe
        '05 36 TK3 Mobiles Suites
        '09 F450 4x4--put out to pasture
        '10 F450 4x4--new to me
        First wife, back to 3 Yorkies
        Livin to go campin
        In the past: SB 26FK; 30FKS

Comment

Did it year before last towing a 30 foot trailer. No problems. Just be sure to keep your eye on the road and take your time. Was really beautiful up there. We will do it again in the future.
          Good luck, safe travels and happy camping!
          Doug & Connie
          Conroe, Tx
          '98 Sunnybrook 29DBS
          02 Ford F250 7.3 Auto CC LB Brakesmart Reese Straightline hitch

Comment

UT-12 from Escelante to Torry is comparable to Salt River Canyon in AZ for another point of reference.

John
            LaPorte, Colorado
            2003 F250 Superduty 6.0 Diesel, Auto - 2004 Sunnybrook Solanta 2816 - 2004 Brakesmart - 2006 Hensley Arrow

Comment

Thanks to all for the replies. We will be going Westbound so looks like I will get a good chance to use my e-brake on that 14% grade. I am very familiar with the Salt River Canyon and have towed through it many times. I have used the Mountain Pass directory for several years and highly recommend it.
              Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.

Judy and Joel,=Jfrow2

Comment

Originally posted by jfrow2 View Post
                Thanks to all for the replies. We will be going Westbound so looks like I will get a good chance to use my e-brake on that 14% grade. I am very familiar with the Salt River Canyon and have towed through it many times. I have used the Mountain Pass directory for several years and highly recommend it.
                There is a pull off lookout point 26 miles from Torry if you are west bound (12 mi Eastbound from Boulder) that is a good place to stop and give your truck a breather. Excellent views of the red sandstone formations in Capitol Reef NP off to the east.

John
                LaPorte, Colorado

Comment

We recently took route 12 east with the big box. It was an interesting drive. (understatement)

I wish I could have rubber necked more to see the fantastic scenery but I was busy trying to see around the bends and watching grades, temp gauges, speedometer, etc. The standard tow haul mode did its job.

I guess I was more nervous than I should have been after a shuttle bus driver at Bryce told us we were in for a tough drive, including the Hogback.

With all the mountain towing we've been doing, I guess it's just important to take your time and don't try to get up or down the mountain too fast. I think I'm more uneasy when going downhill keeping the speed down and to use the brakes as little as possible. It's real easy to stop when going uphill.
                  Jim & Delores
                  2005 30RKFS
                  2005 2500HD D/A 4WD ext cab long box
                  Jordan Ultima

INEPTOCRACY: a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Comment

Some photos along the way on SR-12 from Bryce Canyon NP to Capitol Reef NP, Utah. Gotta keep the downhill speed under control. I miss the scenery already.
                    Attached Files
                    Jim & Delores
                    2005 30RKFS
                    Jordan Ultima

INEPTOCRACY: a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Comment

UT 12 in late Sept 2010

Lots of good photo.

More photos of my trip in a 30 foot travel trailer can be found here.

There is one photo of my rig.

https://picasaweb.google.com/NDCook1213/20101001AUT12

Comment

Originally posted by BobM View Post
                        For those of you wondering if you can travel and tow your trailer over mountain passes. Here is a web site for two Mountain Directories EAST and WEST. I highly recommend these two books. They provide great information with regards to DO's and DON'Ts. It will provide the grade % and the number of miles for each grade. A must have if you enjoy mountain travels.

Welcome to Mountain Directory
                        Thanks
                        We orders the 2 books, that are plans to travel thru mountains.
                        Joe & Linda
                        2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN Rear Air 4:10's
                        2013 Lifestyle LS35SB, MORryde IS System, disc brakes
                        AIRSAFE Air Hitch
                        Blog: bolltimers.com

Comment

Originally posted by BC Jim View Post
                          Some photos along the way on SR-12 from Bryce Canyon NP to Capitol Reef NP, Utah. Gotta keep the downhill speed under control. I miss the scenery already.
                          Jim
                          Great Pictures
                          2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN Rear Air 4:10's
                          2013 Lifestyle LS35SB, MORryde IS System, disc brakes
                          AIRSAFE Air Hitch
                          Blog: bolltimers.com

Comment

Originally posted by Joe&Linda View Post
                            Jim
                            Great Pictures
                            Thanks! Blame it on the scenery! I'd like to have a small convertible to drive around Utah. Something where you can look straight up and stop fast at pullouts. There were lots of places I wanted to stop and soak in the sights but not with the big box behind us going downhill.

Utah is a fantastic state to see.
                            Jim & Delores
                            2005 30RKFS
                            Jordan Ultima

Comment

Originally posted by Joe&Linda View Post
                              Thanks
                              We orders the 2 books, that are plans to travel thru mountains.
                              Joe & Linda
                              I've read some of the western mountain book. Not a bad book. Mostly it tells you where the grades are. After reading about the roads we had travelled, I wouldn't have done anything differently, like take a different route. Main thing I watched was to keep my speed down going downhill. You can go downhill too slow 1000 times but only once too fast. (Quote from the book).
                              Jim & Delores
                              2005 30RKFS
                              Jordan Ultima

Comment

Working...
                              X