X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    wingnut60

• wingnut60
    replied
    The grades, tho steep, are fairly short--most of them--I think you would do ok with the 33, just slowww near the top.
    I've done it with my 450/Suites at 28k gross and no problems.
    We are headed out there 2nd week of Sept--4 couples--for a couple of weeks.
    Joe

Leave a comment:

• FunTimes
    On to the next adventure!

• FunTimes
    replied
    This is a valuable thread to keep alive. I agree Utah is my favorite too. Thanks for posting the pictures. We drove Hwy 12 too it was scary and awesome! Yes it would have been more fun without hauling the trailer we had the 26FKS then. I wonder how we would do with the 33FKS? Did anyone do that route with that model?

Leave a comment:

• jonesuh
    replied
    i know this is an old "post'----but we just got back from 3 weeks seeing the canyons---jused this blog for CG recommendations and they were great as expected---we had not planned on driving Hway 12---but a frien told me about a great resturant in Boluder UT---so we went---if you are ever in the area (i mean within a 100+ miles) it's worth a visit---Hell's backbone Grill---excellent !! had a great dinner came back for breakfast and had the best eggs i've ever eaten (and thats a lot of eggs)

and i agree Utah is a joy to visit

Leave a comment:

• MikeR
    replied
    Originally posted by BC Jim View Post
    Thanks! Blame it on the scenery! I'd like to have a small convertible to drive around Utah. Something where you can look straight up and stop fast at pullouts. There were lots of places I wanted to stop and soak in the sights but not with the big box behind us going downhill.

Utah is a fantastic state to see.
    Jim - of all of the states we have visited in the west, Utah without a doubt is the most beautiful. After spending a week in Zion NP, I thought the ideal situation for retirement would be to live in Springdale, UT and be a shuttle driver in the park.

Leave a comment:

• BC Jim
    replied
    Originally posted by Bkins View Post
    ...From our cross country trip in 04' to 05' we discovered that the US is very large...
    I chatted with an RV park owner in Torrey, UT who told me how that very fact gets first time European vacationers in trouble. They're not used to states being the size of European countries. They don't leave enough travel time from park to park. I've also never seen so many Class C rentals, reportedly many driven by Europeans. They all had smiles, probably due to the cheap gasoline.

Leave a comment:

• Bkins
    replied
    Hi Jim,

From our cross country trip in 04' to 05' we discovered that the US is very large and their seem to be a endless supply of the type of views you have posted. We also determined that staying in one place for a longer period of time was needed. It was a great trip non the less.

David

Leave a comment:

• BC Jim
    replied
    Originally posted by Bkins View Post
    Neat roadway and would of been fun for me even towing my big box Bonnie would not of liked it as I tend to go fast around corners in both the car and truck, and yes with the box in tow. With the dually you don't get pushed around unless you are really over doing it

Compliments to the photo girl
    I don't mind the curves as long as they're level. The ones downhill with the 25 mph sign get my attention!

I thought about taking the photos myself as I was driving. NOT! If we're back there again I'd like to explore more without the big box attached. Utah is a place where no matter which direction you look there's a fantastic view.

Leave a comment:

• Bkins
    replied
    Some photos along the way on SR-12 from Bryce Canyon NP to Capitol Reef NP, Utah. Gotta keep the downhill speed under control. I miss the scenery already.

Neat roadway and would of been fun for me even towing my big box Bonnie would not of liked it as I tend to go fast around corners in both the car and truck, and yes with the box in tow. With the dually you don't get pushed around unless you are really over doing it

Compliments to the photo girl

Leave a comment:

• BC Jim
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe&Linda View Post
    Thanks
    We orders the 2 books, that are plans to travel thru mountains.
    Joe & Linda
    I've read some of the western mountain book. Not a bad book. Mostly it tells you where the grades are. After reading about the roads we had travelled, I wouldn't have done anything differently, like take a different route. Main thing I watched was to keep my speed down going downhill. You can go downhill too slow 1000 times but only once too fast. (Quote from the book).

Leave a comment:

• BC Jim
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe&Linda View Post
    Jim
    Great Pictures
    Thanks! Blame it on the scenery! I'd like to have a small convertible to drive around Utah. Something where you can look straight up and stop fast at pullouts. There were lots of places I wanted to stop and soak in the sights but not with the big box behind us going downhill.

Utah is a fantastic state to see.

Leave a comment:

• Joe&Linda

• Joe&Linda
    replied
    Some photos along the way on SR-12 from Bryce Canyon NP to Capitol Reef NP, Utah. Gotta keep the downhill speed under control. I miss the scenery already.
    Jim
    Great Pictures

Leave a comment:

• Joe&Linda

• Joe&Linda
    replied
    Originally posted by BobM View Post
    For those of you wondering if you can travel and tow your trailer over mountain passes. Here is a web site for two Mountain Directories EAST and WEST. I highly recommend these two books. They provide great information with regards to DO's and DON'Ts. It will provide the grade % and the number of miles for each grade. A must have if you enjoy mountain travels.

Welcome to Mountain Directory
    Thanks
    We orders the 2 books, that are plans to travel thru mountains.
    Joe & Linda

Leave a comment:

• TenOC
    replied
    UT 12 in late Sept 2010

Lots of good photo.

More photos of my trip in a 30 foot travel trailer can be found here.

There is one photo of my rig.

https://picasaweb.google.com/NDCook1213/20101001AUT12

Leave a comment:

• BC Jim
    replied
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• BC Jim
    replied
    We recently took route 12 east with the big box. It was an interesting drive. (understatement)

I wish I could have rubber necked more to see the fantastic scenery but I was busy trying to see around the bends and watching grades, temp gauges, speedometer, etc. The standard tow haul mode did its job.

I guess I was more nervous than I should have been after a shuttle bus driver at Bryce told us we were in for a tough drive, including the Hogback.

With all the mountain towing we've been doing, I guess it's just important to take your time and don't try to get up or down the mountain too fast. I think I'm more uneasy when going downhill keeping the speed down and to use the brakes as little as possible. It's real easy to stop when going uphill.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X