This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fueling Recommendations

The purpose of this thread is to provide folks with information on good places to buy fuel when traveling through areas we aren’t familiar with. If you know of any good or bad locations please post your comments. The types of info that might be helpful is exact location, big rig friendly ? , pumps available on both sides of vehicle ? , high speed pumps ? , open 24 hours ? , other services available ?

Jim
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '16 Camaro RS

I-95

folks driving south on I-95 would be well advised to fill up just prior to entering NC which is said to have the second highest fuel tax in the country .... if you wish to do so you have 3 choices : 1. Sadler's Truck Stop at Exit 11 .... only thing I don't like is they have higher prices at the big truck sites than they do at the auto diesel sites and if you fill in the truck lanes they won't give you the auto diesel price .... fairly easy off/on .... 2. Simmons Travel Plaza at Exit 8 is easy off/on .... big truck sites with same price as auto diesel sites .... truck sites have high volume pumps .... restaurant in the main building .... this is our choice of where to stop .... 3. Love's at Exit 4 is usually busy and it can be challenging to get to the auto diesel pumps .... our least favorite of these three

Jim
    Jim
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '16 Camaro RS

Comment

I-77 & I-81 Wytheville exit 77

I like the Flying J at exit 77 on I-77/I-81. RV island. Good price. Fill up before/after West Virginia or North Carolina.

My Garmin doesn't show this Flying J in the correct place.

It's confusing because there are two Flying J's within 3 miles. The one at exit 80 to the east didn't have an RV island when I was there. I don't go there anymore.
      Last edited by BC Jim; 11-01-2009, 01:07 AM.
      Jim & Delores
      2005 30RKFS
      2005 2500HD D/A 4WD ext cab long box
      Jordan Ultima

INEPTOCRACY: a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Comment

Originally posted by BC Jim View Post
        I like the Flying J at exit 77 on I-77/I-81. RV island. Good price. Fill up before/after West Virginia or North Carolina.

The one at exit 80 to the east didn't have an RV island when I was there. I don't go there anymore.

every time I drive to Indiana to tow a camper back to our dealership I fuel at at the one at exit 77 both coming and going .... have tried both but as Jim notes, the one at exit 80 isn't as RV friendly .... when traveling I have come to trust the quality of Flying J diesel, have never gotten any bad diesel from one of their stations

Jim
        Jim
        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
        '16 Camaro RS

Comment

They use to be pilot but now Im not sure but there was a gas station in Stauton va. A total night mare. In sooooo many ways.

first they had the only in and out access road cut in half by large cement dividers for either a business that shared the lane.

Once you actually got into the diesel area it was a cluster fluff to put it nicely. You had to line up in the area the trucks needed to pass thru to get out.

And you had to walk 1/2 of a mile on a deck type bridge/ramp to get to the station to pay. And as if that wasn't bad enough the cashiers wouldn't start the pump even with a cc swiped. and Once you got down there you had to give a prepaid amount. And it was a tight and narrow way out as well. with trucks backing in and pulling out on the road around to the exit.

The price caught our eye b/c it was cheaper then most we had seen, once we got out of their we knew why, they had to entice you in with a great price for all the hassle you have to go thru.
          08 sunny brook sunset creek 341SRD -sold after several years of amazing memories
          2014 Open Range 397fbs. For the next stage of camping.
          2008 Ford F-450 King Ranch.
          hoping to make memories that last a lifetime, and shared over the campfire.

Comment

Working...
          X