Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Near Sissonville, WV - Rippling Waters Campground

This campground is near Sissonville, North of Charleston, WV - off I-77

From I-77, get off at exit 116 (not 119!). The address to the campground is not in the GPS, but we put in the name of the road, and coupled with the campground’s directions on the Internet, the campground was easy to find.

If you are coming from the North (headed toward Charleston), turn left when you get to the stop sign at the end of the ramp when you get off the Interstate; the other way is a dead end. If you’re coming from the South (from Charleston – or south of exit 116), you’ll make a right turn, and then an immediate left. There is no time to change lanes before the left turn if you try to stay in the right lane.

Middle Fork Road is not very far from the Interstate, and it would be easy to miss if you’re not looking for it. The road makes a sharp turn back to the right, but if there are no other vehicles coming, you can make it, even in a larger rig. A lot of large motorhomes have been coming and going this week.

We took the motorcycle out for a ride one afternoon, and while the road (CR21, if I remember right) isn’t a bad road, there are lines that look awfully low that cross over the road that you would have to go under if you got off at exit 119. We took the truck up that way one day when we went out for breakfast. Dan thinks they are high enough because big logging trucks travel up through there, but I don’t know if I’d want to take that chance.

Middle Fork Road is a very narrow, winding road (about 3 miles) to the campground. Logging trucks (two or three times a day) and the school bus also use this road, and they are apparently oblivious to the fact that others occasionally use the road. Drive with extra caution. We were glad we didn’t meet anyone coming in.

Once you get here, however, you will find a peaceful place, spread out from the small hollow, up to the hill behind the office. You will actually pass through the campground to get to the office. If no one is there, you can self-register and find a place to park. Follow the signs to the office. There is a place to park in front of the office, and the road will take you back around to the sites.

There are a lot of seasonals here, so I think the nicest sites are the ones for pull-through’s in the hollow (full hook-up, 50-amp, complete with sewer). Sites 1-3 are nearly level, and another couple said site 5 is as well. However, when we were out for a walk the other night, we discovered sites 10 & 11 (right next to each other) that are nice pull-through sites, especially if you are camping with another couple. I don't know if I'd want to be that close to strangers, though. Site 10 is close enough to the lake that you could enjoy that view when sitting outside.

Surprisingly, we are getting phone and Internet service down here, and we see that people have their satellite dishes set up here too.

Charleston is only about 25-30 minutes away, but we still limited our driving into town, and ran our errands the day we were there. The grocery store off the next exit from here isn’t very good, and the Wal-Mart is about 25 miles north of here. I guess my point is that there is not much going on in this area, which was fine with us after a busy three weeks in OH. It’s been a good place to get some work done on the rig and to rest up.

It is peaceful here, and the deer wander through the campsites at various times of the day, and there are lots of birds to watch and listen to. I’m glad we made this our stopping point on our way to Beckley.

I’ll give you one guess as to which rig is ours. J I took a closer shot so you could see Dan's new antenna.

Zerelda
    Attached Files
    Dan & Zerelda Hammer
    Pensacola, FL
    SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
    2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Debbie and I camp there every trip we take south and usually stop there on our way back up north.

Picture from inside our camper last year (site 1 I believe):
    IMG_20120910_075135.jpg
    Last edited by closurdo; 10-16-2013, 01:30 AM.
    Larry & Debbie Closurdo
    Skye the German Shepherd
    2003 Silverado 2500hd Duramax

1998 Sunnybrook 26 cks

Visit My Site

Comment

I still hate that we didn't get to catch up with you guys.

That's an easy drive for us to make and that is a very nice area.

Hopefully you guys have some good travel days. Don't start out too early. Deer travel early in the areas between there and Beckley.

Enjoy the peace and quiet.
      08 sunny brook sunset creek 341SRD -sold after several years of amazing memories
      2014 Open Range 397fbs. For the next stage of camping.
      2008 Ford F-450 King Ranch.
      hoping to make memories that last a lifetime, and shared over the campfire.

Comment

Deer Pictures

I took lots of deer pictures this past week, and I've chosen a few to post when I get to West Virginia in my updates.

I saw a buck this morning with just two little points.

Z
        Dan & Zerelda Hammer
        Pensacola, FL
        SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
        2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

Working...
        X