Harpers Ferry, WV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harpers Ferry, WV

We really enjoyed our stay in Harpers Ferry (more on that later), and we stayed at the KOA there, which is just outside the gate to the Visitors Center for the National Park. We love having the senior pass - saved us $50 because we drove through the gate five times during our stay.

The KOA is a typical KOA campground - close sites, gravel/grass. Hook-ups range from electric only to full hook-ups w 50-amp service. If you want a pull-through with a patio, be prepared to pay big $$$.

I didn't take a picture of "tent city" which was behind the office, but we walked back there a few times. It was crowded, but no one seemed to mind.

We were in site 7, and we wouldn't camp in that site again. But when I made reservations, it was all that was left for that particular type of site. Even after Dan put the front jacks down all the way, we were still almost 2 degrees off level from front to back, so we felt like we were walking uphill to the bedroom area.

If you make reservations there, talk to the person in the office what your final cost will be. What they don't tell you on the phone is that they charge a $10 a day "Resort Fee." That meant another $140 on top of the basic campsite fee. I assume that means that they are expecting you to play miniature golf and use the pool, etc. We also had to pay $2/day per dog - another $28 for the two weeks. Then they charge sales tax. So we weren't too happy about that. The only good thing I can say is that during the two-week stay, we only used half a tank of fuel, and most of that was the two-hour drive from the previous campsite and driving back and forth to the grocery store and a trip to the "big city" (about half hour away) to buy a new printer. Also, everything we did was free, except the two times we ate out in the Lower Town. So when we looked at it like that, it didn't seem so bad.

The office and parking lot was our view out the back, and we had to park our truck in the lot behind us.

The one thing they do on Saturdays and Sundays is to shoot off a cannon in the parking lot. The first day they did it, we were both napping. We thought someone had hit our rig.

They have free wine tastings, but you only get to try three, and they choose which three.

They also have free pancakes in the morning, but you only get two. That's it. If you want more, or sausages with your pancakes, you have to pay.

I think that's it...

IF for some reason we were going back to Harpers Ferry, we would stay again, but we would get a different site. But I really can't think of any reason to go back. We did everything we wanted to do there.

Zerelda
    Attached Files
    Dan & Zerelda Hammer
    Pensacola, FL
    SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
    2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500
Working...
X