Assateague State Park

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assateague State Park

We are boondocking for the first time on the beach in Asseteague Island ,MD this summer. I have roughed it here at home,I am the super at a golf course,we dry camp for a few days at a time,during the summer but we are always on the same property I work at 157 (acres),on the course,I have a golf carts,a good sized water container,and a I use a generator to recharge my battery.Back at the shop,we also have a dumping station we built about 10 yrs ago,to dump/rinse.
    We got a site close to the bathhouse,so water should be easyt to get,and we plan to use there facilitys for showering to minimize filling the grey water,and fresh water useage.I found that with my family of 5,if we are not careful,we can run my 50 gallons fresh water dry in 2 days,but if we are careful,and use throw away plates,and limit showers,we can get double that.I plan on bringing 2 6 gallon water jugs,my honda Eu2000i. Generator hours are 9am-11pm.I am hoping i can recharge my batterys during the day,and im going to try to run the Ac,by turning off the invertor to cool the camper off at night.I was wondering if anyones done this for 5 days,and how much i should plan to suffer in august for 5 nights with no A/C. I plan to bring 3 or 4 deep cycle batterys in the bed of the truck,and run my invertor at night to run 2 small fans one in each bedroom,just to have some air moving if there is no breeze.I may even pop the 8D battery out of my big loader,that should last a while.I am hoping the little honda has enough power to recharge them all in a few hours if needed.I will bring my battery chargers,so i can use the invertor to charge a few,and the batt charger to do the others,if the invertor is charging to slow.I'd feel much better about going if I had 2 eu 2000's and a parrallel kit.Then I know i could run the A/C. I dont know what size A/C i have,i think it is a 13.5K unit.It runs easily off a 14 guage 50 ft extension cord rated at 15 amps).We arent going until august i got time to get ready,but does anyone think I can get by in reasonable comfort with just one eu 2000?

The wind blows pretty good there but you will probably have a taste of Hell before you leave.
    2011 Jayco Eagle 351RLTS, MorRyde hitchpin
    06 F350 Lariat PSD CC,LB,SRW, 3.73, EGR delete kit,Timbrens
    16K DrawTite, LineX
    His and Hers Ocean Kayaks, TST TPMS
    Elle and BJ

In the past:
    97 27RKFS SB
    04 30RKFS SB Titan

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of your today." Will Rogers

Comment

John,
      Running an AC off of an inverter is not an easy thing to do. One guy on the previous forum managed to run his AC for an hour with four (4) deep cycle 12-volt batteries, but that pretty much wiped his batteries out. To run the AC all night would take a lot of batteries. Don’t forget a large inverter to change the 12-volts to 110-volts.
      Don’t get me wrong, it can be done – I just don’t see any practical way to do it. Perhaps you could pre-cool the RV with the generator running (you really need at least 3000 watt generator, 4K would be better) then at 2:00am open some windows.
      Ken Mullins
      2000 Sunnybrook 29DBS
      2000 Ford E350 Diesel Van (Solar Eclipse Conversion)
      Hensley Arrow (2004)
      Jordan Ultima Brake Controller (2003)
      sigpic

Comment

John... take it from a coastie... don't forget the black fly spray... If you get an off shore wind they can drive you nuts....

Joe
        Regina & Joe

Comment

Skeeters and Ticks....

We camped there before we were married in a tent and I don't recall the nights being hot...As a matter of fact we were pulling the sleeping bags over us towards morning as the temps got into the 60's....Our biggest pain were the mosquito's and our biggest worry were ticks as they had just figured out how Lyme disease was being spread.....
          If you can run your genny till 11 that will cool off the kids enough to fall asleep then when you get up in the middle of the night, open the windows...
          I'd consider buying a couple of 12volt fans they're pretty efficient electrically...
          It's a great place and the kids will freak when the ponies attack..:shocking:
          G.
          Life's too short to drink bad wine :nope:

Comment

Originally posted by kenmullins View Post
            John,
            Running an AC off of an inverter is not an easy thing to do. One guy on the previous forum managed to run his AC for an hour with four (4) deep cycle 12-volt batteries, but that pretty much wiped his batteries out. To run the AC all night would take a lot of batteries. Don’t forget a large inverter to change the 12-volts to 110-volts.
            Don’t get me wrong, it can be done – I just don’t see any practical way to do it. Perhaps you could pre-cool the RV with the generator running (you really need at least 3000 watt generator, 4K would be better) then at 2:00am open some windows.
            Ken, i wasn't planning to run the AC off an invertor,just 2 small rotating fans fans to keep the air moving on us overnight.Im sorry if I wrote it that way.I wanted to use the AC to take the heat out of the camper until 11pm,then switch to fans.We will have to deal with the humidity.I was hoping that 3-4 12V deep cycles would be enough to run the invertor and 2 fans all night,and the power to the fridge(propane of course).
            Thanks for all the tips guys,keep them coming.
            Last edited by John DiMartino; 03-18-2008, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Try running your A/C off the generator at home (now) to see if the 2000 can carry it. Maybe, but I will be surprised. Then you can decide if you want to get a bigger generator. How much are you willing to suffer? Also, you lose some efficiency by converting to 110 volt, so consider getting some 12 volt fans. Hope you work it out and the family has a great time. Bill
              2001 Mobile Scout 30RK
              2001 Ford F-250 PSD

Comment

My Honda EU2000i can run my 15K air conditioner. It's maxed right out though. I have to turn off the converter, Dometic fridge, beer fridge, everything except the A/C. Turn off every circuit breaker except the main and the A/C. You won't be able to charge batteries and run the A/C at the same time with the EU2000i.
                Jim & Delores
                2005 30RKFS
                2005 2500HD D/A 4WD ext cab long box
                Jordan Ultima

INEPTOCRACY: a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Comment

John, I didn't mean to be flippant on my post. I have never camped there but have visited the park. The ponies are a real treat to see and the beach and sand dunes are beautiful. I wouldn't count on the 2 K being satisfactory. Mine will run the AC but NOTHING else. Looking forward to hearing of your trip. The days will be hot and the nights cool.
                  16K DrawTite, LineX
                  Elle and BJ

In the past:
                  97 27RKFS SB
                  04 30RKFS SB Titan

Comment

Originally posted by norty View Post
                    John, I didn't mean to be flippant on my post. I have never camped there but have visited the park. The ponies are a real treat to see and the beach and sand dunes are beautiful. I wouldn't count on the 2 K being satisfactory. Mine will run the AC but NOTHING else. Looking forward to hearing of your trip. The days will be hot and the nights cool.
                    Norty,I have visited the park too,seen the ponys,that was why we want to camp there.

BCJim, I was planning to do as you did.i figured I could run the gen a few hours in the am,charge the batterys up.Then in the afternoon,run the Ac only.I am willing to bet,I can do this,and use the 8 amp 12volt plug to keep my main batterys topped off in the afternoon,esp if i charged them earlier.Anyway,this is what i plan to try.I am going to do a test run here are home first,while I try to find another eu2000 for 400 bucks,(not likely to score twice on that).So I'm going to make up a long 12V lead for the eu2000-to the batterys,and a jumper harness,so it can be normal length or long leads.
                    Last edited by John DiMartino; 03-19-2008, 02:52 PM.

Comment

If you do, see if they have 2. There is a guy down here that said he gets a used one now and then for around $600.. So far he has not come thru.
                      16K DrawTite, LineX
                      Elle and BJ

In the past:
                      97 27RKFS SB
                      04 30RKFS SB Titan

Comment

Originally posted by John DiMartino View Post
                        Ken, i wasn't planning to run the AC off an invertor,just 2 small rotating fans fans to keep the air moving on us overnight.Im sorry if I wrote it that way.I wanted to use the AC to take the heat out of the camper until 11pm,then switch to fans.We will have to deal with the humidity.I was hoping that 3-4 12V deep cycles would be enough to run the invertor and 2 fans all night,and the power to the fridge(propane of course).
                        Thanks for all the tips guys,keep them coming.
                        John,
                        As said in a previous post, consider 12-volt fans. And if you have not already purchased your batteries, go for golf cart batteries. Two 6-volt golf cart batteries should be able to easily run your fans (12-volt), fridge (on propane) and a few lights for you all night. A 110-volt fan will draw a lot more power.
                        If you want to be sure that you have plenty of power, go with four golf cart batteries.
                        Ken Mullins
                        2000 Sunnybrook 29DBS
                        2000 Ford E350 Diesel Van (Solar Eclipse Conversion)
                        Hensley Arrow (2004)
                        Jordan Ultima Brake Controller (2003)
                        sigpic

Comment

I bought a couple of 12v fans from Walmart, the brand was Ozark I believe. They pull less than 1 amp each, are fairly quiet, and move a lot of air. They can run off of internal D cell batteries, but they have an external connection for 12v.
                          2009 KZ MXT20 Toyhauler (Thanks Camptown RV)
                          2007.0 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison:applause:
                          And all the model airplanes I can haul!
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X