Boondocking at Walmart

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boondocking at Walmart

We're about to take our 1st week long rv trip. Probably going to stay one night in a Walmart parking lot. Has anyone ever felt weird or scared doing that? Can you put your slides out?:thanks:

parking

ESCAPEES CODE OF PARKING ETIQUETTE
    1. Obtain permission from a qualified individual. 2. Park out of the way. 3. No awnings, chairs, or barbecue grill. 4. Avoid using slide-outs if at all possible.
    5. Do not use your leveling jacks on asphalt. 6. Limit your stay - one night maximum! 7. Purchase gas, food, or supplies as a form of thank -you
    when feasible. 8. Always leave an area cleaner than you found it. 9. Practice safety precautions.
    If you have an Escapees decal on your RV, you represent our organization. We know you will want to set a good example
    Daniel Piippo
    Dan & Cricket - ON THE ROAD,
    08 F-350, SD ,PSD, 4X4 DRW ,C/C LB,Tow Boss 4.30,
    5 Speed Auto, Valley Tow 20K Slider, Marquis 5.5KW Propane Vapor
    "11" FLTRU Road Glide Ultra, 2003 FXDL Dyna Low Rider. 08 Sunnybrook Titan 391SURV
    Retired,
    Elio reserved,All In, 100 Shares purchased

Comment

Thanks for the info.....sure don't want to break the etiquette rules. This definitely won't be the only time we stay at Walmart!

Comment

Originally posted by 2RVNubes View Post
        This definitely won't be the only time we stay at Walmart!

Dan's response is about as good as it gets .... one reason to be sure and check with the management because in some areas local restrictions which make it illegal .... specific example: the CG's in/around Myrtle Beach, SC have so much political support from the city/county authorities that it is against the law to overnight at a place like WalMart

Jim
        Jim
        '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
        '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Maybe it is me, but I do not stay overnight at a WalMart, rest area, truck stop if there is any way of avoiding it. I have done it a couple of times over the years when there was no way of avoiding it. I found myself not being able to get a good nights sleep for a couple of reasons. First, it can be noisy and second, I find myself thinking about the 'crazies out there' just waiting to do damage to me and my equipment. Yea, I know that using the shotgun to deter the bad guys will avoid injury to me and my spouse, but then I stay awake thinking about the hassle of dealing with the police and can I get the shotgun in time....

It is just not worth the minor monetary savings to me.... The way I look at it is if I can afford to buy a RV and fuel to travel around, I can afford to pay for a campground.
          Last edited by Jim; 10-07-2011, 03:15 AM.

Comment

I have no problem with stopping at Walmart overnight but camping is just abusing the use. I see them all the time in Florida with lawn chairs and grills all set up for a week.
            Ed & Maxine Thompson

Comment

Ask the manager in the store where the preferred spot is as most have a area that they would rather you park. I've been amazed at the number of times I've seen people put their trash out just like they are in a campground. Makes me feel like giving them a flat tire for their rudeness. Usually there are police patrols. A lot depends are where it is your stopping.
              David & Bonnie (2 new kitties, one male, one female)
              2004 Sunnybrook Titan 31 BWKS w/bed slide
              Hijacker 5th Wheel Hitch 16K with 21K bars
              5th AIRBORNE Pinbox Roto Choks
              Custom 2" pinbox receiver Bike Rack
              Externabond Roof Seams
              Wet Bolt Kit
              7K Nev-R-Adjust Brakes

2004 Sliverado Dually D/A
              GM Racor primary filter, 98 Gal. Transfer tank
              Thanks to BC Jim for all his help

Comment

Just don't do like the idiot done to me about 10 yrs ago, We were on our way home from Arizona in Mo. or Kan. some place in a huge Walmart parking lot way off from the store or trafic late at night this idiot pulls up along side of us sets up and cranks up his generator within 10 ft of us. I wanted to choke him. I made plenty of noise when I pulled out at 4am because I could not sleep because of his ignorance.
                Ralph

Comment

Maybe time to accidentally hit the horn while pulling out:sack:
                  Externabond Roof Seams
                  Wet Bolt Kit
                  7K Nev-R-Adjust Brakes

Comment

Originally posted by Bkins View Post
                    Maybe time to accidentally hit the horn while pulling out:sack:
                    Yeah, sometimes the red button on my keyless entry gets bumped. It can take quite a while to figger it out sometimes...

So far the only Wally World we've stayed at is in Ripley, WV in 19 degree weather. For some reason we were the only RV there.
                    Jim & Delores
                    2005 30RKFS
                    2005 2500HD D/A 4WD ext cab long box
                    Jordan Ultima

INEPTOCRACY: a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Comment

I don't make it a pratice to stay there but there are times when it just really fits the bill even with its problems.
                      Externabond Roof Seams
                      Wet Bolt Kit
                      7K Nev-R-Adjust Brakes

Comment

Never have stayed at a Walmart and hope not to. Its hard to not use the slides on our 5er. I have seen some campers set up home, chairs, grille, awning, TV antenna/satellite dish, bikes out etc.
                        sigpic
                        PAULA AND GARY

2014 Phaeton 40 QBH
                        2015 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by garyk View Post
                          Never have stayed at a Walmart and hope not to. Its hard to not use the slides on our 5er. I have seen some campers set up home, chairs, grille, awning, TV antenna/satellite dish, bikes out etc.
                          I can see any port in a storm, but that is just plain abuse.
                          Makes it tough on those that are in some sort of emergency while traveling.
                          Lee
                          Lee & Mamie http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_Msigpic
                          Buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own
                          04 - 2500 Chevy CC Silverado - D/A
                          07 - Tahoe LTZ w/tow package,
                          16K Pullrite Super Slide
                          2006 Excel 30RSO
                          All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

Boondocking is camping in the middle of nowhere. Walmarting and truck stopping is dry camping!
                            HAPPY TRAILS
                            Ralph & Snickers

2006 New Horizons 30' 5er
                            Solar That Really Works
                            2006 Chevy 3500 8.1/Allison

Comment

We routinely use WalMart and larger rest areas to stop for an overnight--you just have to have a mindset that you get what you are paying for. I can sleep next to an airport, my wife can't get to sleep unless it is mostly dead quiet--but she puts up with some noise knowing we are saving $25-$35 just to have a place to stop and rest on the way somewhere else.
                              Walmarts we frequent, but have learned to look for the traffic patterns and park away from the in/out traffic. And usually we can put one slide out on the curb side--a big reason for using WM is the grassy areas for the Yorkies that are normally a part of the WM design--and, yes, we pick up after them.
                              Joe
                              '05 36 TK3 Mobiles Suites
                              '09 F450 4x4--put out to pasture
                              '10 F450 4x4--new to me
                              First wife, back to 3 Yorkies
                              Livin to go campin
                              In the past: SB 26FK; 30FKS

Comment

Working...
                              X