Chef's Choice Multi-Edge Diamond Hone Knife Sharpener

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chef's Choice Multi-Edge Diamond Hone Knife Sharpener

a good friend gave me a Chef's Choice Multi-Edge Diamond Hone Knife Sharpener for Christmas .... as an old schooler who has long used 4 progressively smoother whit-rocks with a leather strap as the final stage for sharpening, I admit I have approached using this gift to sharpen my knives .... I wouldn't mind using it on someone else's knives but on mine that is a very different matter .... so far I've used it a couple of times and one thing has quickly become clear .... that being it does a very good job on serrated edges which is something I can't say for most other sharpeners I've tried .... I'm looking forward to using this rig, it really shows promise

Jim
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

Chef Choice

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
    a good friend gave me a Chef's Choice Multi-Edge Diamond Hone Knife Sharpener for Christmas .... as an old schooler who has long used 4 progressively smoother whit-rocks with a leather strap as the final stage for sharpening, I admit I have approached using this gift to sharpen my knives .... I wouldn't mind using it on someone else's knives but on mine that is a very different matter .... so far I've used it a couple of times and one thing has quickly become clear .... that being it does a very good job on serrated edges which is something I can't say for most other sharpeners I've tried .... I'm looking forward to using this rig, it really shows promise

Jim
    I have used the Chef Choice sharpener for home knives as well as hunting and fishing knives.
    I find that good steel knives will take and maintain an edge with these sharpeners. Used them for years.
    Chuck
    '07 Sunnybrook 33FKS Titan
    '04 Ford F350

Comment

I use the powered one with multiple stones and strop. Works great
      sigpic
      PAULA AND GARY

2014 Phaeton 40 QBH
      2015 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4

Comment

after much thought and a good bit of research, I decided to take a good look at Smith's 8-Inch Diamond Tri-Hone Bench Stone .... a few years ago when one of our sons moved away from home, he took my Arkansas stones and other sharpening stones .... that was fine, over the years he'd gotten really good at using them .... with them being gone I had a good reason to look for replacements .... I quickly came to realize that there were a great deal of different systems on the market which resulted in more choices .... as time passed I tried first one system, then another .... they all would sharpen a blade but none did as good of a job as using a series of whet rocks .... consequently, I now plan to still use some other sharpening systems on some of our cheaper knives but I decided I want to go back to using stones to sharpen our good knives .... to find a good set of stones that I can pass on down the line should be simple, nothing seems to be simple anymore .... now days they have many different types of stones .... they come in many different sizes and shapes .... in the end, I decided to go a bit on the modern side of a classic set of hones .... Smith's 8-Inch Diamond Bench Stone seemed to fit the bill .... it is a tri-hone system with a coarse diamond(325 grit), fine diamond (750 grit), and Natural Arkansas stones (~1,000 to 1,200 grit) its a bit more expensive than I like but then, now days, what isn't .... I thought it would be fitting for the first knife to be sharpened on it to be my Buck 110 Folding Hunter .... secondly, my smaller Buck pocket knife, and thirdly, the blade in my Leatherman .... they all three quickly went from being pretty dang sharp to shaving sharp .... the two bucks worked well but the handle of the Leatherman doesn't lend the blade to work well with the stones .... I've now sharpened a bunch of knives of every size short of a large Bowie Knife that have been made of several different types of steel .... bottom line, the Smith's 8-Inch Diamond Bench Stone (link above) is without any doubt the best set of sharpening stones that I've ever used .... I think I may have found what I'll put under the tree at Christmas for our boys ..
        Smith's 50008 8-Inch Diamond Tri-Hone Bench Stone - Sharpening Stones - Amazon.com
        Last edited by JEBar; 10-13-2017, 03:02 AM.
        Jim
        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

My whole problem with using a system like the Smith is that you need to keep the same angle to the blade relative to the stone at all times, right? That is the hard part for me. I usually end up with a knife that is much duller than when I started.

Joe
          Joe and Debbie Gilbert
          On the Road Fulltime Since 7/14/08

2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43' Atlanta fifth wheel home on wheels

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 4.10, Factory rear air suspension

Officially RETIRED!!
          Catch me if you can!!

Comment

you are correct .... 50+ years ago I learned to sharpen blades using a series of whetstones .... it does take practice to maintain the angle .... I've found that it is easier to start by sharpening blades that are shorter than the width of the stone .... that way the entire edge is on the stone at the same time
            Jim
            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
            '04 Sea Pro 180DC
            '17 Elio reserved

Comment

after considerable use of the one mentioned above, I've decided to give a Smith's 50008 8-Inch Diamond Tri-Hone Bench Stone ... to each of our sons for Christmas .... knowing them, they will enjoy and appreciate them .... the only thing else that I know might be needed is a barger's leather strap to finish the blade
              Jim
              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
              '04 Sea Pro 180DC
              '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Working...
              X