Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JEBar
    replied
    good recipes stand the test of time .... the Huli Huli recipe posted in post 1 in this thread back in October of 2007 still puts mighty good food on the table .... pictures below show the process from slicing thick chops off of a pork loin, injecting / then marinading them overnight, SLOW COOKED over indirect heat on our Holland Companion grill, and then on the table ... yep, they were outstanding
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    not one bit .... they seemed to really enjoy it (as did we)

Leave a comment:

• norty
    replied
    I bet they didn't complain.

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    7-23-15 .... as this is being typed we are camped in Maureen's hometown in South Dakota .... she invited one of her brothers and his wife over for dinner and decided that we'd serve Huli-Huli Chicken .... the marinade recipe was as originally shown at the first of this thread, this time we decided to hickory smoke it .... before and after pictures below .... we cold smoked it for 2 hours and then fired up the grill, set the temp on low and with the smoker going, grilled it for 25 more minutes .... turned it once at the 15 minute mark .... it turned out OK, the chicken was very moist/tender .... next time we will cut the cold smoking time in half, to me the hickory flavor slightly overpowered the flavor instead of complementing it
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• rvduo
    replied
    Great Chicken

When we had the kids/grandkids/ex-husband and his wife out to the campsite this summer, the son-in-law grilled the chicken for me. It's always been one of our favorites, and now it's one of theirs too.

This chicken has taken on a life of its own!

Z

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    I bet he did ..

Jim

Leave a comment:

• closurdo
    replied
    Barkley noticed

Sent from my LGLS740

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    that does look good .... bet the neighbors couldn't help by notice the aroma of it cooking on the grill

Jim

Leave a comment:

• closurdo
    replied
    Tonight I grilled up some Huli Huli Chicken

We had it with a rice/vegetable side dish and a fresh salad. Yummmmmm!

Sent from my LGLS740

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    we decided to cook the marinated Huli Huli chicken in a crockpot instead of on the grill .... once cooked it was removed from the crockpot, shredded, and put back in the crockpot to simmer in the marinade till time to serve .... doing so ensured that the chicken was very moist and tender .... it also ensured that all of the meat was exposed to the marinade .... end result, excellent ..

Jim
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JEBar; 08-18-2013, 02:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    Originally posted by dzwiss View Post
    I wasn't thinking of not marinating it, but making the marinade with everything except the brown sugar, then marinating and cooking per the directions. Toward the end of the cooking, adding brown sugar to the remaining marinade and basting it.

no clue how that would go but it just might work .... looking forward to hearing what you find

Jim

Leave a comment:

• dzwiss
    replied
    Originally posted by JEBar View Post
    delighted to hear you enjoyed it .... :thanks:

understood on the too burnt .... that is its short coming .... I fear you'd lose a great deal of the flavor if you don't marinade the chicken .... I don't know what to tell you about your grill .... if it has multiple burners you might be able to turn off one (or more) and put the chicken on the grate where it is away from the direct heat .... other options that may or may not work could be to raise the cooking grate further away from the flame or to insert some sort of flame defuser between the flame and the cooking surface

Jim

I wasn't thinking of not marinating it, but making the marinade with everything except the brown sugar, then marinating and cooking per the directions. Toward the end of the cooking, adding brown sugar to the remaining marinade and basting it.

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    I have tried this recipe a couple of times without much success. I guess my grill just doesn't cook cool enough as my result is always too burnt. What do you think about marinating the chicken sans the brown sugar and just adding it to the basting sauce towards the end of the cooking?

just had another thought .... you might start it on the grill and just before you reach the point you feel it will start to burn, you could wrap it in foil and finish it in the oven with very low heat

Jim

Leave a comment:

• norty
    replied
    This reminded me of lots of cookouts in the service where the chicken was loaded on a grill and brushed with a pineapple and ginger mixture. The slower and longer you cook it the better.

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    Originally posted by thmakin View Post
    It was excellent!!

I'm putting this recipe into my recipe software when I get home so that it'll be there whenever I need it. Thanks!

delighted to hear you enjoyed it .... :thanks:

I have tried this recipe a couple of times without much success. I guess my grill just doesn't cook cool enough as my result is always too burnt. What do you think about marinating the chicken sans the brown sugar and just adding it to the basting sauce towards the end of the cooking?

understood on the too burnt .... that is its short coming .... I fear you'd lose a great deal of the flavor if you don't marinade the chicken .... I don't know what to tell you about your grill .... if it has multiple burners you might be able to turn off one (or more) and put the chicken on the grate where it is away from the direct heat .... other options that may or may not work could be to raise the cooking grate further away from the flame or to insert some sort of flame defuser between the flame and the cooking surface

Jim

Leave a comment:

Working...
X