Masterbuilt 44-Inch Propane Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masterbuilt 44-Inch Propane Smoker

it has been decades since I used a propane smoker .... I still prefer an electric, computer controlled but I now have 2 high dollar, dead ones in the garage that in retrospect were most certainly not worth the money ... I'm considering going back to propane and after looking at one at our local Bass Pro, in interested in the one shown below .... the good news is, I have plenty of time to shop around because with our travel schedule, it will be late March at the earliest or after we return from South Dakota in mid August .... comments, recommendations, alternatives would be most welcome
    Amazon.com : Masterbuilt 20050614 Propane Smoker, 44-Inch, Black : Garden & Outdoor
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

I've been using a Masterbuilt Propane Smoker from Walmart for many years. 1/2 the price of the one posted above. Reliable and consistent. No complaints.

Why do you prefer electric smokers, especially after the luck you've had with them?
    Russell
    '13 Excel Winslow 34IKE
    '16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
    Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS;
    '01 Sunnybrook 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah

Comment

I only use propane. Been using this exact model for several years... absolutely ZERO issues. I added the Smoke Daddy to it so I can cold smoke as well...
      Amazon.com : Smoke Hollow 30164G 30-Inch Propane Gas Smoker : Garden & Outdoor
      Jeff, Julie, Cameron, & Taylor Lockhart - Wauconda, IL

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
      2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"
      sigpic

Visit our family online - www.thelockharts.com
      Find us / "friend" us on social websites - Facebook

Comment

Mine looks just like Jeff's, but it has a Masterbuilt label. Stock item at Walmart for about $150.
        Russell
        '13 Excel Winslow 34IKE
        '16 GMC Sierra 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by drfife View Post
          Why do you prefer electric smokers, especially after the luck you've had with them?
          the biggest reason is, with the computer control you simply set it at the temp and/or time you wish to cook and you don't have to fine tune the temp, worry about it getting to hot or too cool ... in addition, our smoker sits inside of the garage .... with electric I don't have any possible issues of using a propane tank inside of a building
          Jim
          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
          '04 Sea Pro 180DC
          '17 Elio reserved

Comment

one of the features I really like about Masterbuilt's 30, 40, and 44" smokers like the one in the link in post 1 is they have 2 doors .... you don't have to open the cooking area when adding water or chips .... I've seen the same feature on other brands, I'm more familiar with Masterbuilt .... I like the flexibility offered by the 44" having 2 burners .... I really like Jeff's idea of adding a Smoke Daddy
            Jim
            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
            '04 Sea Pro 180DC
            '17 Elio reserved

Comment

I have no issues holding a specific temp with the propane smoker. You're over analizing the situation.

Mine has a single door. It's no big deal adding wood chips, plus I get to check the meat out.

Don't spend extra $ for non-necessary features.
              Russell
              '13 Excel Winslow 34IKE
              '16 GMC Sierra 3500HD

Comment

back when I was using a propane smoker, I found that temperature, humidity, and wind could easily make a difference in the necessary burner setting .... with the way the weather changes in our part of the country, some days required closer monitoring than others .... I had a "bullet smoker," don't remember the brand .... it was designed to where it could use gas, electric or charcoal .... it didn't take any time to figure out charcoal wouldn't work for us .... the electric heating element proved to be the simplest to use .... my hope is the next smoker will be the last one I have to buy .... our history is we use a smoker heavily in the fall and to a lesser degree throughout the rest of the year .... with the 44" we should be able to increase the amount of food smoked at a time which would nice .... the biggest features I'd be buying with the 44" would be capacity and the double door .... I like both of them .... as noted it will be 4 to 9 months before we buy another one, no use buying a new one and hitting the road for an extended period .... that will give me plenty of time to look .... I've seen several interesting styles in Texas that I want to checkout
                Jim
                '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                '17 Elio reserved

Comment

In truth, I never use the smoker function of the smoker. I exclusively use the smoke daddy. Thus, I never have to open the main door... and once I set the flame knob just to the left of medium... the unit will hold 250-265 until it runs out of propane.

Its just about as idiot-proof as you can get...

2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                    In truth, I never use the smoker function of the smoker. I exclusively use the smoke daddy. Thus, I never have to open the main door... and once I set the flame knob just to the left of medium... the unit will hold 250-265 until it runs out of propane.

Its just about as idiot-proof as you can get...

that's nice .... how much impact have you found that the cold winter temps in your area make on the operation of your smoker .... what size Smoke Daddy did you go with and are your happy with that choice
                    Jim
                    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

I use one of these. Lots of less expensive ones out now.
                      Amazon.com: Amazen Pellet Tube Smoker 12": Garden & Outdoor
                      Bobbi, Don, and Vinny & Kaiser
                      2018 Fleetwood Discovery LXE
                      Previously:
                      2007 Sunnybrook 33CKTS
                      [SIGPIC]

Comment

My (myvann) uses a pellet smoker and I can certify that the food that come out is really, really good
                        Jim
                        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post

that's nice .... how much impact have you found that the cold winter temps in your area make on the operation of your smoker .... what size Smoke Daddy did you go with and are your happy with that choice
                          We don't smoke as much in the winter.... but when we do, set the heat knob just past medium and I keep the unit out of any strong direct wind --- no problem.

I use the MAGNUM size smoke daddy attachment. That provides 3-4 hours of smoke depending on how fast you set your air flow.

2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"
                          sigpic

Comment

that is the route we will go, if/when we get another smoker
                            Jim
                            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                            '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                            '17 Elio reserved

Comment

after considerable thought, talk and pondering, I just ordered the Masterbuilt smoker shown in the link in the first post .... I didn't order it from Amazon .... I received some gift cards for Christmas so I went with Cabela's instead .... as this is being typed on Saturday, we are in Texas, and are due to get back home next Friday the 16th .... we should be able pick it up the following Thursday the 22nd .... that should work well for smoking ribs and sausage for a family gathering the following weekend .... I do plan to order the MAGNUM size smoke daddy attachment mentioned by Jeff above .... I'm glad a decision has been made and am looking forward to getting it dirty ....
                              Jim
                              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                              '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                              '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Working...
                              X