Sous Vide Cooking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sous Vide Cooking

Ok, bought one of these at Sam's. It seems to work alright but using the recipe book that came with it is not doing much for us. So far we've cooked chicken breasts and some boneless pork chops. While they were cooked and juicy they were not fork cutting tender and the spices leave a lot to be desired. I've been using the ZipLok bags and getting the air out. I'll admit the breast are the monsters from WM (1.5" thick) and the pork chops were abt 3/4" thick and we probably didn't cook them long enough. Last batch (breasts) was at 160 deg for 1.5 hrs. I put lemon pepper on one, Cajun seasoning on another, and a chicken rub on another. The lemon pepper had some flavor but the other 2 were blah.

I'll admit that I'm not a cook but this is ridiculous. Anyone have favorite recipes and times etc? Don't get too complicated!
    Clif and Millie
    Mabank, TX (sorta)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Duramax Diesel Dually
    2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler
    2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

No idea about your "Cajun" Seasoning, but Tony Chachere's https://www.tonychachere.com/Default...SAAEgI4rPD_BwE has a pretty good variety to offer. So does Targil http://targil.com/.I do like Targil's the best of those two. And you can always add a little Cayenne Pepper to nearly anything. Anyway, it's fun to experiment. I'll try nearly anything, once.
    Clayton & Gayle
    2007 SB Mobile Scout/Titan 34BWKS LX, Mor/ryde Suspension & Pin Box
    2008 F-350 SD Lariat 6.4L PSD, TorqueShift w/Tow Cmd, 3.73 LS, SRW
    Super Cab, Long Bed, Firestone Ride-Rites & a 20k Reese Pro Hitch

Comment

we've used ours several times .... the food has come out OK but not markedly better than the same food cooked other ways .... there is a good deal of info and recipes at this site .... we have the system and sooner or later will break it out and give it another try
      Jim
      '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
      '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

That's what I was saying, so-so food. I'll look at the website and get some ideas. Tnx
        Clif and Millie
        Mabank, TX (sorta)
        2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

Comment

Ok, got another question. I picked up one of the seasoned, vacuum packed pork loins tonite. Any reason I can't leave it in the packing and cook it at abt 155 for 8-10 hrs? That temp should be medium done and the time should cook it thoroughly.

Also picked up a thick sirloin and plan on cutting it in half and putting some marinade in each bag and cooking it. Thoughts on that???
          Clif and Millie
          Mabank, TX (sorta)
          2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

Comment

no reason what you are considering shouldn't work .... looking forward to hearing your impressions
            Jim
            '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
            '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
            '04 Sea Pro 180DC
            '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Ok, the results:

The victim: Hormel Pork Loin Filet w/Lemon Garlic seasoning.

It came in a vacuum sealed bag which I cooked it in. So the labels wouldn't come off and mess up the pump I removed them. Cooked for 4.5 hrs at 155 deg. It didn't have a lot of lemon garlic flavor. I sliced it into 3/8" thick pieces and they could be cut with a fork, very tender. A little seasoning and it was good. I didn't brown it when finished but could have. It was an easy meal to make. Next up is some sirloin steak.
              Clif and Millie
              Mabank, TX (sorta)
              2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

Comment

Working...
              X