No announcement yet.

Pellet Grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went with 225 degrees and they turned out perfect, cooked for about 1 3/4 hours, each breast weighed over 1 pound so your timing seems right.. Unfortunately temp is still showing 350 plus for the whole cook.
    2012 F-350 King Ranch DRW
    2014 Landmark Savannah

Comment

• since the food turned out perfect, I don't think I'd worry too much about it .... keep testing ..
      Jim
      '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
      '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '16 Camaro RS

Comment

• Originally posted by JEBar View Post
        since the food turned out perfect, I don't think I'd worry too much about it .... keep testing ..
        Think that is what I will do. Going to try a Boston butt here in a week or so and will go from there.
        2014 Landmark Savannah

Comment

• I think if you've figured out the secret decoder numbers... go with it.
          Jeff, Julie, Cameron, & Taylor Lockhart - Wauconda, IL

2021 F-350 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat FX4
          2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er: "Cram-A-Lot Inn"

Visit our family online - www.thelockharts.com
          Find us / "friend" us on social websites - Facebook

Comment

• Well, I give up on the Asmoke. Cooked a Boston butt and started with temp at 225 degrees. It held that temp for about 15 minutes and started climbing. Went up to 350-375 for about 3 hours so I turned it down to 200 degrees. Within a few minutes it was at 400 or more the rest of the cook. Customer service will not answer e-mails or chats on their site. Most of the new reviews I find say the same thing I am experiencing. I am taking back tomorrow and going to try and find either a Traveler or a Pit Boss.
            2014 Landmark Savannah

Comment

• Originally posted by 2007dura View Post
              I am taking back tomorrow and going to try and find either a Traveler or a Pit Boss.
              sorry to hear of the lack of service from Asmoke .... the Pit Boss Mahogany and the Country Smoker Traveler are very similar .... the Pit Boss comes with more features cost about $100 more ,,,, we are still well pleased with our Traveler
              Jim
              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
              '16 Camaro RS

Comment

• Originally posted by 2007dura View Post
                I am taking back tomorrow and going to try and find either a Traveler or a Pit Boss.
                A friend of mine went to the Country Smokers web site and got his Country Smokers Traveler for$175.00. Check them out and see if that price is still good!!!!!
                Archie & Barbara Prince
                SE Georgia (Home)/Middle Tennessee (Home away from Home)
                2007 GMC 2500HD CC L/B LBZ Duramax/Allison Transmission
                2011 Big Country (Heartland) 3250TS
                Curt Q5 20K Hitch
                Prodigy P3 Brake Controller
                Rieco-Titan Ground Control
                TST TPTMS
                Progressive EMS-HW50C

Comment

• Have to check out that deal. Thanks
                  2014 Landmark Savannah

Comment

• look at the Country Smokers link in my post above
                    Jim
                    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                    '16 Camaro RS

Comment

• That is a good price. Found the Pit Boss for $229.

What are the differences between the 2?
                      2014 Landmark Savannah

Comment

• for about $50 more the Pit Boss comes with a cover and I think with a probe .... could be a couple of other things ....
                        Jim
                        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                        '16 Camaro RS

Comment

• Ended up getting the Pit Boss. Found it for $229 at Camping World with free shipping. As much as I hate spending money there, they had the best price and one of the few places to have them in stock. Ordered last Monday and it arrived yesterday. Assembled today and did the initial burn off. During the burn off it held temperature within 10 degrees of setting so I was happy about that. Look forward to next weekend and trying it out.
                          2014 Landmark Savannah

Comment

• good to hear .... looking forward to your coming use reports and use impressions
                            Jim
                            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                            '16 Camaro RS

Comment

• Finally got to use the Pit Boss today. Did a rack of ribs. Very pleased with it. I monitored the temperature for the whole cook, 6 hours, and never saw it go above 230 degrees with the temp set at 225. Noticed a few differences between the ASmoke I had. The Pit Boss's flame broiler is a heavier type metal but not plated like the ASmoke. ASmoke had a detachable power cord and Pit Boss doesn't. Pit Boss definite;y used less pellets but that could be because of the difference in temperature it held. Pit Boss has bigger grease cup. Both came with a cover but ASmoke had a meat temp probe while Pit Boss you can use one but have to buy it.

The ribs turned out so-so but that wasn't the grills fault. When I picked the ribs up I thought I got baby backs but they were pork back ribs instead. The big problem was the rub I used. I had been using Pit Boss pork rub but the wife wanted to try something new. I picked up some Big Moe Cason pork rub(he is on BBQ Masters show) and was not impressed. The ribs were extremely moist but all you could taste was the rub. It was so strong and hot you couldn't even taste any smoke flavor. Don't know if I put to much on, but I won't find out again as I am looking for another rub to try. Any suggestions?

As a side note we did do potatoes too. Covered in olive oil and then coated with pink Himalayan salt and pepper at 225 degrees for 2 hours. Needed to cook a little longer so we nuked to finish them, but they were good.

Looking forward to cooking the whole chicken I picked up.
                              2014 Landmark Savannah

Comment

• It will all fall into place soon. We are doing baby back ribs tomorrow. Can't wait.
                                Archie & Barbara Prince
                                SE Georgia (Home)/Middle Tennessee (Home away from Home)
                                2007 GMC 2500HD CC L/B LBZ Duramax/Allison Transmission
                                2011 Big Country (Heartland) 3250TS
                                Curt Q5 20K Hitch
                                Prodigy P3 Brake Controller
                                Rieco-Titan Ground Control
                                TST TPTMS
                                Progressive EMS-HW50C

Comment

Working...
                                X