Smoke Daddy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke Daddy

in looking for a compact smoker that we could take with us while traveling I haven't found many to choose from .... has anyone used a Bradley Propane Smoker .... the best price for one of these smokers is shown in the link .... Bradley has good name in this area so I tend to believe it works .... our Holland Companion Grills are great but I haven't found them to be effective when used as a smoker .... in addition, comments/links from anyone who may know of a different compact smokers that lend themselves to camping would be appreciated

Jim
    Last edited by JEBar; 05-06-2018, 07:19 PM.
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

Jim, you should get a Smoke Daddy and add it to your current grill.

It will provide the smoke you want and is VERY compact.

You can even cold smoke things like cheese.

+ YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
    Russell
    '13 Excel Winslow 34IKE
    '16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
    Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS;
    '01 Sunnybrook 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah

Comment

very interesting .... didn't know something like this existed .... I can see it being a very good addition to one of our home style Holland grills .... after going out and looking at our Holland Companion grills, I don't think there is sufficient sidewall length to make one work .... tip appreciated

Jim
      Jim
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

I love the shot at 3:14 of the oxygen tanks and warning sign....Oxygen....."No Smoking or Open Flames"....Classic...ops:
        Life's too short to drink bad wine :nope:

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
          very interesting .... didn't know something like this existed .... I can see it being a very good addition to one of our home style Holland grills .... after going out and looking at our Holland Companion grills, I don't think there is sufficient sidewall length to make one work .... tip appreciated

Jim
          Take a look at this SmokeDaddy install on a Holland Companion:
          Attached Files
          Russell
          '13 Excel Winslow 34IKE
          '16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
          Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS;
          '01 Sunnybrook 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah

Comment

Originally posted by drfife View Post
            I'm jealous.
            It is the new design with folding legs, and a handle on top.
            Haven't had much luck with putting the wood chips on the tray in the Holland, this might be the answer.

Maybe the Holland folks will see this, and come up with there own design.
            Last edited by staggerlee; 12-05-2010, 08:05 PM.
            Lee & Mamie http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_Msigpic
            Buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own
            04 - 2500 Chevy CC Silverado - D/A
            07 - Tahoe LTZ w/tow package,
            16K Pullrite Super Slide
            2006 Excel 30RSO
            All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

Originally posted by drfife View Post

now that is interesting .... I hadn't thought of installing one on the back of the grill

Jim
              Jim
              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
              '04 Sea Pro 180DC
              '17 Elio reserved

Comment

over the last couple of days I've changed my mind several times about what would be best for us in the area of a smoker to take with us when we are traveling .... the probable solution became much clearer today when I learned we are going to have to replace our current home smoker (as discussed in this thread) .... it now seems to me that Russell's suggestion of Smoke Daddy offers a way to take care of a couple of issues .... I believe that using one to provide smoke for both our Holland Companion and the home smoker I hope to rebuild offers a very good return on the money spent to buy the Smoke Daddy

Jim
                Jim
                '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                '17 Elio reserved

Comment

over the last couple of days I've changed my mind several times about what would be best for us in the area of a smoker to take with us when we are traveling .... the probable solution became much clearer today when I learned we are going to have to replace our current home smoker (as discussed in this thread) .... it now seems to me that Russell's suggestion of Smoke Daddy offers a way to take care of a couple of issues .... I believe that using one to provide smoke for both our Holland Companion and the home smoker I hope to rebuild offers a very good return on the money spent to buy the Smoke Daddy

Jim
                  After all he is an offical tester.
                  Lee & Mamie http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_Msigpic
                  Buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own
                  04 - 2500 Chevy CC Silverado - D/A
                  07 - Tahoe LTZ w/tow package,
                  16K Pullrite Super Slide
                  2006 Excel 30RSO
                  All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

[QUOTE=drfife;114057]Jim, you should get a Smoke Daddy and add it to your current grill.

It will provide the smoke you want and is VERY compact.

You can even cold smoke things like cheese.

I wonder how that would work on my Brinkman? I'll bet it would do really well.
                    Thanks for the info

don
                    Bobbi, Don, and Vinny & Kaiser
                    2018 Fleetwood Discovery LXE
                    Previously:
                    2007 Sunnybrook 33CKTS
                    [SIGPIC]

Comment

I've been thinking about adding a Smoke Daddy to a small Holland Companion size grill and do have a couple of concerns .... with such grills, the propane burner is usually mounted within the grills casing .... on the Smoke daddy web page they show their 6" model mounted on a Companion with its chimneys down .... while it is possible to cook with them down on an electric Companion it isn't with a propane model .... it would be possible to cold smoke with this configuration .... if the smoke stacks were raised and the burner lit, I wonder if smoke would remain in the grill at a sufficient concentration to flavor the meat as one would hope

Jim
                      Jim
                      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Can you pop a couple soup cans over the stack????
                        Punch a couple nail holes in them to keep the burner from smothering out...may be an "engineer as you smoke" kinda thing....

Comment

Originally posted by HitchnRun View Post
                          Can you pop a couple soup cans over the stack????
                          Punch a couple nail holes in them to keep the burner from smothering out...may be an "engineer as you smoke" kinda thing....

our Master Built electric smoker has an adjustable smoke vent .... I've actually experimented with closing the smoke stacks on our propane Companion .... with both closed the flame went out .... with one open it did burn but seemed to cause the flame to smoke .... kind of like cooking on a burner which blacks up the bottom of a pot .... I'd guess that using a vented soup can type cover over the stacks could be made to work but I suspect it would take some pretty large holes .... the addition of smoke from a Smoke Daddy would seem to me to complicate getting the proper gas/air mixture required for a clean/efficient flame

Jim
                          Jim
                          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                          '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                          '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Have you ever tried the wood chips in a foil pack and just laid it on the metal under the grill? I have been playing around with smoke on my companion w/o much luck.

Following this thread with hope of something else to try that does not cost $$$$
                            2011 Jayco Eagle 351RLTS, MorRyde hitchpin
                            06 F350 Lariat PSD CC,LB,SRW, 3.73, EGR delete kit,Timbrens
                            16K DrawTite, LineX
                            His and Hers Ocean Kayaks, TST TPMS
                            Elle and BJ

In the past:
                            97 27RKFS SB
                            04 30RKFS SB Titan

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of your today." Will Rogers

Comment

... the addition of smoke from a Smoke Daddy would seem to me to complicate getting the proper gas/air mixture required for a clean/efficient flame

Jim
                              A clean/efficient flame may be unobtainable with a Smoke Daddy....would propping the hood open a tad allow too much heat to escape??

Comment

Working...
                              X