Smoke Daddy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by norty View Post
    Have you ever tried the wood chips in a foil pack and just laid it on the metal under the grill? I have been playing around with smoke on my companion w/o much luck.

Following this thread with hope of something else to try that does not cost $$$$

understood Norty, I've tried the smoker tray that came with the grills, tried putting chips all along both the front and back upper section of the drip pan, and putting chips in various size foil bags .... as you note, other than making it smell good in the neighborhood, I haven't found it does anything for the food .... the same is true for the standard size Holland patio grill .... I do believe that using a Smoke Daddy type rig in an electric Companion has a good chance of working but as of right now I don't hold out much hope for the gas version

Originally posted by HitchnRun View Post
    A clean/efficient flame may be unobtainable with a Smoke Daddy....would propping the hood open a tad allow too much heat to escape??

Companion grills are designed to cook over lower heat for a longer time than most grills .... I have tried leaving the lid open and I have found that if I leave the lid open, it does a pretty good job as a food warmer but doing so really throws off the cooking process .... as an example, with the lid open it takes forever to cook a hot dog

Jim
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Originally posted by norty View Post
      Have you ever tried the wood chips in a foil pack and just laid it on the metal under the grill? I have been playing around with smoke on my companion w/o much luck.

Following this thread with hope of something else to try that does not cost $$$$
      My cousin would do that....he moistened the chips, folded them into a foil pouch and punched holes in the foil with a meat fork..he'd place the pouch in the center of his 3 burner and once his grill was hot, turn off the side burners and keep the grill hot with the center burner..but with the smaller grilles you don't have that luxury...
      Life's too short to drink bad wine :nope:

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
        .... if the smoke stacks were raised and the burner lit, I wonder if smoke would remain in the grill at a sufficient concentration to flavor the meat as one would hope...
        I don't think that will pose a problem.

The adjustable smoke vent on my propane smoker cannot be closed completely. I get plenty of smoke flavor.

I think the Smoke Daddy would be a great addition to a Holland Companion Grill.
        Russell
        '13 Excel Winslow 34IKE
        '16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
        Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS;
        '01 Sunnybrook 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah

Comment

Originally posted by drfife View Post
          I don't think that will pose a problem.

The adjustable smoke vent on my propane smoker cannot be closed completely. I get plenty of smoke flavor.

I think the Smoke Daddy would be a great addition to a Holland Companion Grill.
          It appeared they had different sizes.
          Which model would fit the Holland, and still stand upright?
          If you have that info.
          Thanks,
          Lee
          Lee & Mamie http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_Msigpic
          Buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own
          04 - 2500 Chevy CC Silverado - D/A
          07 - Tahoe LTZ w/tow package,
          16K Pullrite Super Slide
          2006 Excel 30RSO
          All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

Originally posted by staggerlee View Post
            It appeared they had different sizes.
            Which model would fit the Holland, and still stand upright?
            If you have that info.
            Thanks,
            Lee
            Lee, good question. I don't have the answer.

I'd suggest measuring the distance from where the hole would be drilled to the table top. Then contact Smoke Daddy and find out which one meets those specs.
            Russell
            '13 Excel Winslow 34IKE
            '16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
            Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS;
            '01 Sunnybrook 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah

Comment

That red background sure does make reading the info on their site semi-painful
              Frank and Jean
              Retired Navy
              DAV Life Member
              '09 Rockwood Roo 233s
              '03 1500 Silverado LS

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.
              It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
              The things that come to those that wait will be the scraggly crappy junk left by those that got there first.

sigpic

Comment

Bradley Smoker

Jim: thanks for the link; I just ordered the "portable" smoker to replace out Brinkman Red Tube smoker; the Brinkman is o.k. but a major hassle to store and carry in the fiver. My wife's cousin has a Bradley portable and says it works great. Thanks again!
                Tom & Fay Makin

Comment

Originally posted by thmakin View Post
                  Jim: thanks for the link; I just ordered the "portable" smoker to replace out Brinkman Red Tube smoker; the Brinkman is o.k. but a major hassle to store and carry in the fiver. My wife's cousin has a Bradley portable and says it works great. Thanks again!

I'm really looking forward to your comments after using it

Jim
                  Jim
                  '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                  '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                  '17 Elio reserved

Comment

If I didn't have the drop down bunk end on the back, I would have built a platform for my GOSM smoker and just used it right on the bumper.
                    Frank and Jean
                    Retired Navy
                    DAV Life Member
                    '09 Rockwood Roo 233s
                    '03 1500 Silverado LS

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.
                    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
                    The things that come to those that wait will be the scraggly crappy junk left by those that got there first.

sigpic

Comment

Bradley Used Finally

I broke the brand new Bradley out of its packaging yesterday with the thought of only setting it up and becoming "familiar" with it. The instruction book was very helpful with the set up and in no time I had the little darling all set up on the pick nick table. Since I had boneless, skinless chicken thighs marinating in the fridge, I said: "what the heck, let's see if it works." Those thighs were excellent and I'm going to do a pork butt today. As mentioned in the instruction book, neighbors were commenting on the wonderful smells coming from Senor Bradley. Clean up was easy as I only used one rack and washed it and the grease catcher in the fiver's kitchen sink. I would recommend this unit to anyone who wants a compact smoker for the road. Attached picture is included for amusement purposes only.
                      Attached Files
                      Tom & Fay Makin

Comment

Originally posted by thmakin View Post
                        I would recommend this unit to anyone who wants a compact smoker for the road.

good to hear a report from one of our folks .... such reports seem to carry a much higher weight with me than ones from folks I don't know .... only problem is, now you've got me thinking again ..

Jim
                        Jim
                        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Thinking!

Pro's: whole unit fits neatly into its carrying case, small footprint for set up on pick nick table, easy storage in basement due to compact carry case, cooked just like a bigger smoker, easy clean up, it worked great with 20 lb tank although Bradley instructions emphasize 1 lb tanks, you will need an adapter

Con's: you can't cook for the whole neighborhood on this unit although there are 4 or 5 racks for it, "oven" heat (propane burner inside the tent) is situated under one corner of the drip pan creating a hot spot, wood biscuits can catch on fire (have a water sprayer nearby), wood biscuits are probably more expensive than wood chunks

I am very happy with it and expect to use it many times on the road. I found an excellent price on the internet which swung the deal with my wife.
                          Tom & Fay Makin

Comment

Tom where is the photo of the food?
                            Guess you might have been to hungry to think about taking a photo.
                            Lee
                            Lee & Mamie http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_Msigpic
                            Buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own
                            04 - 2500 Chevy CC Silverado - D/A
                            07 - Tahoe LTZ w/tow package,
                            16K Pullrite Super Slide
                            2006 Excel 30RSO
                            All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

Poor Picture - But Still a Picture

Attached is the only picture I took of the chix thighs that were cooking. Remember there are only two of us. We managed to worry all of the thighs down. I included a closer up shot of the Bradley sans hungry campers. I'm doing some boneless spare ribs in it today.
                              Attached Files
                              Tom & Fay Makin

Comment

I'd appreciate it if you'd post a picture after you have it packed up and ready to go into the basement .... I'm just wondering how big of a space would be needed for it

Jim
                                Jim
                                '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                                '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                                '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Working...
                                X