No announcement yet.

Smoke Daddy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you just use green pecan wood chips? I have a yard full of them.
    2011 Jayco Eagle 351RLTS, MorRyde hitchpin
    06 F350 Lariat PSD CC,LB,SRW, 3.73, EGR delete kit,Timbrens
    16K DrawTite, LineX
    His and Hers Ocean Kayaks, TST TPMS
    Elle and BJ

In the past:
    97 27RKFS SB
    04 30RKFS SB Titan

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of your today." Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by norty View Post
      Can you just use green pecan wood chips? I have a yard full of them.
      according to their web site you certainly can .... if I had of bought one of their big units I'd be inclined to go that route .... with us buying their smallest model, it seemed to me that the pellets would be a better choice .... they should pack tighter so as to be able to get more material in the smoker .... the more the material in the smoker, the longer you can go between filling it

Jim
      Jim
      '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
      '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Chunks, Chips & Pellets

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
        according to their web site you certainly can .... if I had of bought one of their big units I'd be inclined to go that route .... with us buying their smallest model, it seemed to me that the pellets would be a better choice .... they should pack tighter so as to be able to get more material in the smoker .... the more the material in the smoker, the longer you can go between filling it

Jim
        As I remember they recommend using a mix of chunks, chips , pellets and charcoal for best results. The charcoal would maintain the burn. I will have to watch the videos again.
        Chuck
        '07 Sunnybrook 33FKS Titan
        '04 Ford F350

Comment

Originally posted by chasrv View Post
          As I remember they recommend using a mix of chunks, chips , pellets and charcoal for best results. The charcoal would maintain the burn. I will have to watch the videos again.
          Chuck
          They do... but I use ALL pellets and have had no significant performance problems or issues.

The pellets make the whole thing basically idiot proof (a big plus for me) - LOL!!
          Jeff, Julie, Cameron, & Taylor Lockhart - Wauconda, IL

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
          2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"
          sigpic

Visit our family online - www.thelockharts.com
          Find us / "friend" us on social websites - Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
            Couple tips on the Smoke Daddy:
            - about every hour... Take something and tap the sides of the unit down towards the bottom. (I use the back end of a screwdriver) This loosens up any burning pellets and allows them to burn more complete.

- you'll need to add pellets to the canister while you're smoking. After a couple tries you'll get to know how often.

- clean up... I soak the whole main canister in warm water after every couple uses. I do that so I can clean the the area where the lid sits into the main canister. It gets pretty gunky and difficult to use if you don't.

- I've found that I need to run the air pump on a medium setting. Much below that and the smoke goes out. Much over that and the neighbors think the house is on fire.
            after arriving at the CG where we will be spending the weekend, we had time to mount the Smoke Daddy on our Holland Companion .... after installing it we used it to cold smoke some cheese .... it most certainly was a learning experience, one in which every suggestion you made proved to be dead on .... as per instructions that came with the Smoke Daddy, we smoked the cheese for 2 hours and while it turned out to be good, to my taste proved to be a bit long .... tomorrow we hope to get some pork ribs and see how it does with hot smoking

Jim
            Jim
            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
            '04 Sea Pro 180DC
            '17 Elio reserved

Comment

I'm considering a couple of ways to seal the 3/4" hole that will be drilled into the back of the Holland

Jim
              Something like this?

Knock Out Plug, 3/4 In, Steel - Electrical Box Cover Accessories - Electrical Boxes - 3LN65 : Grainger Industrial Supply

Most any big box hardware store would have them. Might have to use a 1/2" conduit version for a 3/4" hole though.
              Last edited by Popeye; 03-10-2012, 12:50 AM.
              Frank and Jean
              Retired Navy
              DAV Life Member
              '09 Rockwood Roo 233s
              '03 1500 Silverado LS

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.
              It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
              The things that come to those that wait will be the scraggly crappy junk left by those that got there first.

sigpic

Comment

Pretty amazing little contraption, aren't they?!

Looking fwd to your reviews...

2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                  Pretty amazing little contraption, aren't they?!

Looking fwd to your reviews...

it certainly is .... very solid and seems to be strongly built .... here are some pictures of the install on our Holland Companion

Jim
                  Attached Files
                  Jim
                  '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                  '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                  '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Looks like you have to hang the Daddy over the edge of the table.
                    How far down does it hang lower than the legs?
                    Sure like the looks of that well seasoned grill.
                    Lee
                    Lee & Mamie http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_Msigpic
                    Buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own
                    04 - 2500 Chevy CC Silverado - D/A
                    07 - Tahoe LTZ w/tow package,
                    16K Pullrite Super Slide
                    2006 Excel 30RSO
                    All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

Originally posted by staggerlee View Post
                      Looks like you have to hang the Daddy over the edge of the table.
                      How far down does it hang lower than the legs?
                      Sure like the looks of that well seasoned grill.
                      Lee

it does hang down a bit (less than an inch) .... you could mount it higher on the grill but if you do it would prevent opening the lid all the way .... she's most certainly been used to cook a meal or two .... hopefully she is going to be good for many more

Jim
                      Jim
                      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

it does hang down a bit (less than an inch) .... you could mount it higher on the grill but if you do it would prevent opening the lid all the way .... she's most certainly been used to cook a meal or two .... hopefully she is going to be good for many more

Jim
                        I figured it would interfere with the lid if mounted higher.
                        Is it able to be used if it was tilted so it could sit on a flat table?

How did you figure where to drill the hole?
                        Center of that panel?
                        Last edited by staggerlee; 03-13-2012, 12:14 AM.
                        Lee & Mamie http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_Msigpic
                        Buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own
                        04 - 2500 Chevy CC Silverado - D/A
                        07 - Tahoe LTZ w/tow package,
                        16K Pullrite Super Slide
                        2006 Excel 30RSO
                        All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

Originally posted by staggerlee View Post
                          I figured it would interfer with the lid if mounted higher.
                          Is it able to be used if it was tilted so it could sit on a flat table?

How did you figure where to drill the hole?
                          Center of that panel?

I don't know if it it OK to tilt it or not but I really don't see why not .... to mount it I measured the rear wall and scratched a line at the center point .... I centered the hole as high as possible on that line .... all in all, it fit pretty well .... I usually sit the grill as far back as possible on a table so having it hang down a little fits right in with our way of setting it up ....

Jim
                          Jim
                          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                          '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                          '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Have you compared the height of your HC with the old style fixed legs to the newer ones with folding legs? Looks like a good location. I have some hole clamps that may work too. I may be in the market for one. At least it would make me look like I know how to make smoke.

The pic in post #4 shows it on a flat table and appears to not be touching.

I have a set of Greenlee punchs that may be strong enough to punch thin SS. Irvan-Smith, Inc. : Hole Punch - 3/4 in KO [IS1-HP-075] - $50.00
                            Last edited by norty; 03-10-2012, 02:50 AM.
                            2011 Jayco Eagle 351RLTS, MorRyde hitchpin
                            06 F350 Lariat PSD CC,LB,SRW, 3.73, EGR delete kit,Timbrens
                            16K DrawTite, LineX
                            His and Hers Ocean Kayaks, TST TPMS
                            Elle and BJ

In the past:
                            97 27RKFS SB
                            04 30RKFS SB Titan

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of your today." Will Rogers

Comment

Have you compared the height of your HC with the old style fixed legs to the newer ones with folding legs? Looks like a good location. I have some hole clamps that may work too. I may be in the market for one. At least it would make me look like I know how to make smoke.

These things are indeed idiot proof!! If I can smoke with 'em... Anybody can.

2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"
                              sigpic

Comment

I have a set of Greenlee punchs that may be strong enough to punch thin SS. Irvan-Smith, Inc. : Hole Punch - 3/4 in KO [IS1-HP-075] - $50.00

I haven't compared them .... as it turned out I could have mounted ours a bit higher and it would have cleared the table but we couldn't have opened the lid all the way .... guess it boils down as to which is more important to you .... I used a cheap hole saw, since you already have the punch it might be worth giving it a try .... today we drove down to a local grocery store and picked up a pork rib roast .... I used our standard rub, cold smoked it for two hours and then fired up the Holland Companion .... cooked it on medium-low heat until the wireless thermometer told me it was ready .... it turned out really well .... I don't see the Smoke Daddy replacing our big smoker but do anticipate it being used often when we are traveling or at home when we want to smoke a meal's worth of meat

Jim
                                Jim
                                '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                                '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                                '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Working...
                                X