Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JEBar
    replied
    yes .... the pellets, chips, whatever being used can settle and choke off the air needed to keep the chips smoldering

Leave a comment:

• Popeye
    replied
    The spring is used to keep an open airway?

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    our large Smoke Daddy came with a spring that aids air flow (first picture) .... our original smaller Smoke Daddy didn't .... as a test, I picked up a spring at Ace and cut it to fit our smaller one (rest of the pictures) .... I'm looking forward to seeing how well it works

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    update :

tested our Smoke Daddy Tube in our small Masterbuilt smoker that we keep in South Dakota .... as can be seen below, it worked well for cold smoking cheese .... with that being the case we will leave with the smoker when head back home in August .... we also tested the Smoke Daddy Ring did not perform as well for cold smoking .... we do plan to test it for hot smoking where there will be a stronger flow of air through the smoker to see if that will make a difference

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    first mod to our upgrade .... in the first picture the OEM locking nut can be seen .... to remove the Smoke Daddy from the smoker requires loosening the locking nut with channel locks so that it can be removed ..... second pictures shows the locking nut has been replaced wit a coupler that can be hand tightened or removed .... that greatly speeds up the process

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    negative ..... its where I hope it will stay for many, many moons .... we've used that location with 3 other smokers .... open both doors and all's good

Leave a comment:

• avvidclif
    replied
    I bet next time you move it out of the garage!!!!

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    we've got smoke ...... installed the large Smoke Daddy today .... install was pretty straight forward, all I had to do was drill a hole and mount it .... the pictures below show the install, lit charcoal, chips added, smoke coming in .... next to last picture show that when cold smoking (like cheese) without the burner, smoke comes in much faster than it can escape ..... last picture shows that with the burner lit, smoke flows through really well .... yep, we've got smoke !!!!

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    this thread was started in late 2010 .... it covers our decision to add a Smoke Daddy cold smoker to our Holland Companion .... that has turned out to be a really decision .... there are numerous threads in which it can be seen in operation and many pictures of the smoked food its put on our table .... since then it has traveled with us around the country and has been used from time to time at home when our larger permanent smokers have been out of commission .... as noted in another thread ===> https://www.myrvtalk.com/forum/rv-li...propane-smoker , back in March we purchased a Masterbuilt 44" propane smoker .... the only thing I don't like about it is the chip tray is way too small .... we've tried a couple of things to generate more smoke but they haven't performed to the level we want .... taking a lesson from the performance of our Holland's small Smoke Daddy, we ordered a large one .... it arrived today, I hope to be able to install it within the next few days .... its sure a Big Daddy , I'm looking forward to seeing it in action .... the pictures below show a side-by-side comparison of our original small Smoke Daddy and our new larger one

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    Originally posted by Popeye View Post
    Nah, get enough grease drippings and cooking oils on there and it won't rust
    can and will do ....

Leave a comment:

• Popeye
    replied
    Originally posted by JEBar View Post
    I suspect in time it will rust but hey, I can live with that
    Nah, get enough grease drippings and cooking oils on there and it won't rust

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff View Post
    Dude... GENIUS! I'm headed to Ace Hardware tomorrow....
    genius might be a bit of a stretch but it works ...... the hardware store near out GC is a True Value .... I was in hope they would have a brass or even copper spacer with the right ID but all theirs were to small .... I ended up with a pipe connection but it worked .... I suspect in time it will rust but hey, I can live with that

Leave a comment:

• Jeff
    replied
    Dude... GENIUS! I'm headed to Ace Hardware tomorrow....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    2-12-16 .... the way our Smoke Daddy attaches to our Companion grill can be seen in the first picture in the post above ....

Picture 1 below shows Smoke Daddy .... the E-clip/silver washer/blackened washer/ nut .... the camper wall goes between the two washers

Picture 2 below shows the E-clip .... to put it mildly, the E-clips have been a fairly steady source of frustration .... all too often they seem to disappear or otherwise fly off into the great unknown and have to be replaced all to often .... when it happened yesterday I got to thinking there had to be a better way to scotch the silver washer .... out of the clear blue of the western sky :sack: the word spacer popped into my mind ....

Pictures 3 & 4 -- a trip to the local hardware store shows what I came up with .... it took a bit of grinding to shorten it to the right length

Picture 5 .... the spacer in place

Picture 6 .... the modified Smoke Daddy installed on the Companion

Picture 7 .... tested with smoking some stuffed peppers and it passed with flying colors

bottom line, I should have done this years ago .. :doh:
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    7-15-14 .... once again we've fired up the Smoke Daddy to cold smoke some cheese .... as can be seen in earlier post, we've tried several different types of cheese and through those efforts we've come to down to 2 types of smoked cheese that we really enjoy .... for Maureen its Mozzarella and for me its Swiss .... we both enjoy it thin sliced on a cracker with pepper jelly .... the pictures below show the cheese going into the smoker, after 30 minutes and after being removed from the grill .... in the last picture a subtle change in color between the outside and inside of both blocks of cheese
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X