Freezing Credit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freezing Credit

In the wake of the security breech at Equifax, we are considering freezing our credit. Has anyone here done that? What are the advantages/disadvantages? We realize that if we ever need to have our credit checked for a large purchase, we'd have to un-freeze it, and probably pay to do it. But we have no plans for future large purchases that we can't pay for.
    Also, I'm assuming we'll have to go to all three credit bureaus and go through the same process, correct?

Thanks for your advice.

Zerelda & Dan
    Dan & Zerelda Hammer
    Pensacola, FL
    SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
    2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Yes, you have to freeze it at each of the three credit bureaus. Yes, they charge for freezing it. I think it is around $10.00 at each. For Equifax, you can get 1 year of identity protection for free by signing up for their "TrustedID Premier" product. Within that, you can freeze for free. Go to https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/ to see if your ID was impacted. Even if it was not, Equifax is still giving away for free the one year of ID protection and insurance since they also gave away your personal data. It takes about 48 hours to freeze or un-freeze, and that would be the negative aspect of it. I really can't believe they had such poor security. The vulnerability with the Apache server software was discovered in March of this year and a fix was provided, but Equifax never applied the fix. Brilliant!
    2015 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
    2013 Ford F250 6.7 PS Diesel Lariat Crew

Comment

I put a fraud alert on our credit which I believe will alert both me and the credit provider if anyone applies for credit in my name. I did this online thru TransUnion and it must be renewed every 90 days. They will notify the other 2 credit bureaus to post the alert also. I also requested the Trusted ID account from Equifax and am still waiting for their email to finalize that.

don
      Bobbi, Don, and Vinny & Kaiser
      2007 Sunnybrook 33CKTS
      2013 3500 Silverado, long bed dually [SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by bobbidonb View Post
        I I also requested the Trusted ID account from Equifax and am still waiting for their email to finalize that.

don
        It is taking them about 4 days to return the email, unless they are getting caught up. They are quite overwhelmed.

Comment

Residents of NC can freeze their credit for free. Our son told me how to do it. You do all 3 but no charge and no time limits.

Comment

I did not know that NC had passed that law to prevent the charges. Also, people need to be aware that when their records at the 3 credit b's are frozen, many kinds of activities will be stopped. It is not hard to thaw the records and re-freeze, but it can be annoying. Here is a quote from Experian:

"However, you should be aware that using a security freeze to take control over who gains access to the personal and financial information in your credit report may delay, interfere with, or prohibit the timely approval of any subsequent request or application you make regarding new loans, credit, mortgage, insurance, rental housing, employment, investment, license, cellular phone, utilities, digital signature, Internet credit card transactions, or other services, including an extension of credit at point of sale."

Comment

http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/e265b0c0...ty-Freeze.aspx This is the site I used.

Comment

Thanks, everyone. It looks like my task will be to freeze our credit today. We're not looking to apply for, or increase credit anywhere. So we're not worried about that. I guess we might have to deal with Internet purchases if we can't use PayPal.
                Z
                Dan & Zerelda Hammer
                Pensacola, FL
                SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
                2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

Originally posted by rvduo View Post
                  I guess we might have to deal with Internet purchases if we can't use PayPal.
                  Z
                  I don't think you'll have an issue with that.

Comment

Why would you have an issue with Paypal? Mine is backed by a credit card I already have and it won't be affected by the freeze. My DW asked the other day if she could still use her credit card after I freeze our credit. She didn't understand what a credit freeze was. But I'm like a lot on here. I don't plan on doing anything that would require a credit report in the near/far future so really don't see a problem. Anyone found any?
                    Clif and Millie
                    Mabank, TX (sorta)
                    2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC
                    2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler

Comment

The thing to remember is that your credit reports are NOT frozen for companies with which you already have a relationship. For instance, if you have an LOC, the bank will pull your credit report AT LEAST once per year (I know this because I coded the program that does that for a number of banks!). The last bank I worked for pulled the scores quarterly. That will not be affected by the freeze, so there aren't too many worries.

Comment

Sounds great, that's for that tidbit. It's nice to know it won't affect anyone I have credit with now.
                        Clif and Millie
                        Mabank, TX (sorta)
                        2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC
                        2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler

Comment

Originally posted by avvidclif View Post
                          Why would you have an issue with Paypal? Mine is backed by a credit card I already have and it won't be affected by the freeze. My DW asked the other day if she could still use her credit card after I freeze our credit. She didn't understand what a credit freeze was. But I'm like a lot on here. I don't plan on doing anything that would require a credit report in the near/far future so really don't see a problem. Anyone found any?
                          No issue using PayPal - only if the site doesn't take PayPal.
                          Dan & Zerelda Hammer
                          Pensacola, FL
                          SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
                          2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

Everyone should keep in mind that freezing your credit report does nothing to protect your existing accounts from being hacked. A simple account address change is all it takes for the hacker to start the process of account access. It is important to watch your existing accounts.

Comment

Working...
                            X