IRS and Taxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IRS and Taxes

Somebody lit a fire under the IRS. I E-filed mine on the 3rd and got the refund on the 9th. My BIL filed his last Wed and got his refund last nite. FWIW I used H&R Block again this year. My BIL used my copy to file his. You are allowed 5 free E-filings.
    Clif and Millie
    Mabank, TX (sorta)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Allison/Duramax Dually
    2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler
    2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

we also used H&R and E-filed our Federal on the 7th .... just checked, no refund yet
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

I received no notification it was coming????? I happened to check my balance and got a pleasant surprise. Same for my BIL. Judging from that watch the 13th...
      Clif and Millie
      Mabank, TX (sorta)
      2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

Comment

our refund was deposited in last night ... I must say that with the provisions of the new tax law, I'm very curious to see how things will come out a year from now
        Jim
        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
          our refund was deposited in last night ... I must say that with the provisions of the new tax law, I'm very curious to see how things will come out a year from now
          That's the part that really scares me! My retirement check went up a considerable amount on the Feb 1st direct deposit. I spoke to our tax adviser and he wasn't comfortable giving me any advice other than to say "until I see the new tax tables, put the difference aside" Needless to say, I'm taking his advice & placing the difference in a separate account.
          Tom & Jan
          2007 SunnyBrook 33CKTS
          2008 GMC Sierra SLT 3500 Dually D/A, IBC
          Super Fifth 16K Hitch

Comment

My Fed and State are due to come out of my account today. Right now they're pending by tomorrow they will be gone.
            Clayton & Gayle
            2007 SB Mobile Scout/Titan 34BWKS LX, Mor/ryde Suspension & Pin Box
            2008 F-350 SD Lariat 6.4L PSD, TorqueShift w/Tow Cmd, 3.73 LS, SRW
            Super Cab, Long Bed, Firestone Ride-Rites & a 20k Reese Pro Hitch

Comment

My withholding dropped abt $200/month. I want to see the new tax tables also.
              Clif and Millie
              Mabank, TX (sorta)
              2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

Comment

Originally posted by cookstjm View Post

That's the part that really scares me! My retirement check went up a considerable amount on the Feb 1st direct deposit. I spoke to our tax adviser and he wasn't comfortable giving me any advice other than to say "until I see the new tax tables, put the difference aside" Needless to say, I'm taking his advice & placing the difference in a separate account.

our retirement checks all come are deposited during the last half of each month .... we hope to soon see the new tax info to figure out what's best for us
                Jim
                '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                '17 Elio reserved

Comment

The withholding is based directly on the Tax Tables so they certainly are available. In fact, I just went to the IRS web site and they have been available since January 11th.
                  2015 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
                  2013 Ford F250 6.7 PS Diesel Lariat Crew

Comment

Originally posted by FoxFanRay View Post
                    The withholding is based directly on the Tax Tables so they certainly are available. In fact, I just went to the IRS web site and they have been available since January 11th.
                    The 17th is about the time TurboTax updated and I was able to start my annual ritual. State forms and tables were later.

Anyway, it's all history now for me. Last night I followed: "... render unto Caesar the things which is Caesar's ..." I'm good for another year. I hope.
                    Clayton & Gayle
                    2007 SB Mobile Scout/Titan 34BWKS LX, Mor/ryde Suspension & Pin Box
                    2008 F-350 SD Lariat 6.4L PSD, TorqueShift w/Tow Cmd, 3.73 LS, SRW
                    Super Cab, Long Bed, Firestone Ride-Rites & a 20k Reese Pro Hitch

Comment

Originally posted by FoxFanRay View Post
                      I have those tables and they make absolutely no sense. Decipher this: "The wage amounts shown in the Percentage Method Tables for Income Tax Withholding are net wages after the deduction for total withholding allowances." Table followed which showed One Withholding Allowance for monthly is $345.80. Does that mean I take the monthly income and subtract 2 withholding allowances (wife and myself) and then figure withholding on what is left??? If so they are withholding way too much???
                      Clif and Millie
                      Mabank, TX (sorta)
                      2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

Comment

It depends on your W-4 you filed. Figure it using what you put on your W-4 (which you probably don't remember! I wouldn't!). But yes, subtract the allowance, then apply the remainder to the appropriate table. They make the crap easy, don't they?

Comment

Doing it that way nothing still matches. Married at single rate + $200 on W4. I give up before I get a headache. It will all become clear as mud next February.

New math and old brain don't mix very well. I still prefer a flat tax. Total income, no matter source times 10%. No deducts. Send the 10% number. I would come out the same with no headache.
                          Last edited by avvidclif; 02-16-2018, 05:57 PM.
                          Clif and Millie
                          Mabank, TX (sorta)
                          2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

Comment

I would like a flat tax too. BUT, I would never go for it, because I don't trust the jerks. They will repeal the current tax, but will reinstate it. Do you know the income tax has been repealed three times before? And the liars reinstated it three times!

Comment

The IRS saving plan is worse than the banks .3% savings. I have nothing withheld and send what I want to when I want to before Dec 31.
                              Ed & Maxine Thompson

Comment

Working...
                              X