Hate to See This

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hate to See This

Given ===> I've been out of working in the RV industry for a while ..... it appear to have become the norm but I find myself troubled at the advertised financing being pushed for purchasing .... I don't know how long THIS LINK will be valid but when it isn't, another just like it wold be easy to find .... it shows a 2019 KEYSTONE MONTANA 3921FB on On Clearance at Camping World .... Sale Price $63,995 .... my issue has nothing to do with the manufacture or the price .... what really concerns me is the financing terms ===> *based on 15% down, 5.99% APR, & 240 Months .... I mean seriously, financing a 5er for 20 years .... based on what I've seen, a small no make that very small percentage of 5ers produced today have a 20 year lifespan ... people who make such loans will be upside down on them from the get-go and won't reach a balance point until the loan is nearly paid for .... I sure hope folks step back and do some serious thinking before signing for such a loan
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

This has been a sore point with Chuck Woodbury and Pete Gerber for several issues of internet articles, along with dissing Lemonis. It is probably part of the problems with RV quality--selling so many under those terms, hard to pass on the volume to take care of quality. I would not bet on my '15 DRV being usable in 20 years.....but the '05 made it 12 years, so maybe there is hope. Of course, don't believe I'll be needing a fiver at that time.

Jim, any Camping Worlds around you now Gander RV?
    Last edited by wingnut60; 07-10-2019, 05:00 AM.
    '05 36 TK3 Mobiles Suites
    '09 F450 4x4--put out to pasture
    '10 F450 4x4--new to me
    First wife, back to 3 Yorkies
    Livin to go campin
    In the past: SB 26FK; 30FKS

Comment

back home in NC there is a Camping World about 30 minutes from our house .... where we are camped in South Dakota there is one about an hour away in Sioux Falls .... I remember driving by a couple of Ganders but haven't stopped .... I don't care for what Lemonis has done to Camping World and Goodsam
      Jim
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Our trailer is going on 16 years. I would be besides myself if I still had 4 years of payments remaining. I guess people want things they can’t afford so badly that they just look the other direction when it comes time to pay for them. I haven’t done the math for what that rig will end up costing after paying for 20 years at just short of 6%. It’s gotten to be the same way with car payments as most are running 7 years in length. I feel that people’s want, not need, is somewhat responsible for the dramatic rise in car, SUV, and truck pricing. It gotten to the point of almost being obscene what it costs to buy a new well equipped vehicle these days with pick ups leading the profit centers for car companies. I don’t know, maybe it’s just me.

Does anybody know what the average length of time people keep their RV’s before getting something different?
        David & Bonnie (2 new kitties, one male, one female)
        2004 Sunnybrook Titan 31 BWKS w/bed slide
        Hijacker 5th Wheel Hitch 16K with 21K bars
        5th AIRBORNE Pinbox Roto Choks
        Custom 2" pinbox receiver Bike Rack
        Externabond Roof Seams
        Wet Bolt Kit
        7K Nev-R-Adjust Brakes

2004 Sliverado Dually D/A
        GM Racor primary filter, 98 Gal. Transfer tank
        Thanks to BC Jim for all his help

Comment

Originally posted by Bkins View Post
          Does anybody know what the average length of time people keep their RV’s before getting something different?
          I remember seeing industry data about it but don't remember any specific numbers .... I do recall seeing that back when finance terms maxed out at 10 - 12 years, something over half were sold or traded before they were paid for
          Jim
          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
          '04 Sea Pro 180DC
          '17 Elio reserved

Comment

I would like to see 30 year financing. At my age I bet the grim reaper would would win and CW would lose. I recall my Mom (passed away years ago) bought a hose with a 30 year mortgage and mortgage insurance while she was in her early 80s. Go figger...
            wiredgeorge Mico TX
            2006 F350XL 6.0L 4WD Automatic 2002 Keystone Cougar 278EFS

Comment

On another group a 78 yr old man bought a diesel pusher in the 250k range and financed it for 20 years. Minimum down. What was he thinking?
              Clif and Millie
              Mabank, TX (sorta)
              2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Allison/Duramax Dually
              2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler
              2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

Comment

Thinking his estate would pay for it???

Jim,
                We are in Spearfish for a DRV regional rally, been up this way for about 2 weeks. Sure is nice and green, but a lot of small storms daily.
                '10 F450 4x4--new to me
                Livin to go campin

Comment

understood on the rain .... Spearfish is a nice area .... how long will you be there and where do you head when the rally is over
                  Jim
                  '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                  '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                  '17 Elio reserved

Comment

A different perspective on the 20 year loan. I got mine for 2.99% for 20 years. Took my money and put it in a guaranteed 7% investment. For the first 5 years I was able to deduct the interest from taxes too. So my money is making more for me than if I had paid for the camper.

As far as buying a rig when you are older. I saw where a gentleman 80 years old bought a $350K diesel pusher with minimum down. He also bought the life insurance to pay it off if he died. He did die a few months later and his wife got a diesel pusher paid for that she sold for in the mid $200's and had a nice nest egg.
                    2012 F-350 King Ranch DRW
                    2014 Landmark Savannah

Comment

Jim, heading for Seattle and Portland to visit kids/gkids/ggkids, then back to Colorado for 2 months camphosting at Ridgway SP.
                      '10 F450 4x4--new to me
                      Livin to go campin

Comment

Originally posted by wingnut60 View Post
                        Jim, heading for Seattle and Portland to visit kids/gkids/ggkids, then back to Colorado for 2 months camphosting at Ridgway SP.
                        understood .... was in hope that you might be headed east .... do hope the rally goes well and that you have a boring drive west
                        Jim
                        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Thanks, been some quick, strong thunderstorms going thru, but not too bad. Should be an ok trip west. Sorry to just keep missing you and Maureen. Safe travels to you both.
                          '10 F450 4x4--new to me
                          Livin to go campin

Comment

Working...
                          X