Where to retire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sage advice.

As far as Nashville being "full of liberals"... it can't be any worse than where we live today. We live in the liberal capital of the mid-west --- Chicago (well... close enough anyway).
    EX - I flew my Gadsden flag from my porch last year... caused quite the uproar in the neighborhood. Some folks felt like I was threatening people, etc. Craziness.... can't wait to get back to normal America.

In regards to know mention of the western US... you're correct - and it's by design. We are currently an eight hour drive from Julie's family in Poplar Bluff, MO and six hours from my family in Greenville, OH. We want to stay within that six-eight hour drive. Thought is... should emergency occur... we're close enough that we don't have to rely on commercial travel... and the drive is still reasonable.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts. Will certainly continue the thread as we work through the process.
    Jeff, Julie, Cameron, & Taylor Lockhart - Wauconda, IL

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
    2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"
    sigpic

Visit our family online - www.thelockharts.com
    Find us / "friend" us on social websites - Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post

Always good to have a drinking buddy...

FYI - A realtor that we have been working with pointed us to some areas our Franklin to take a look at. Not as nice views as some of the lots around Jasper that we looked at... but you certainly get more for the dollar around the Franklin area.
      I think you would get more bang for the buck if you stay outside of the counties that touch Nashville Davidson County. Real estate is really expensive here now. Travel down I-65 and I-24 outside of the greater Nashville area and there are some beautiful areas.
      I grew up in Carroll County which is in West Tennessee. Almost exactly halfway between Memphis and Nashville. That's a great area with a practically brand-new Lake.
      Larry
      Holly
      Jessie
      Jamie Lyn
      2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 CC 4x4
      2007 Starcraft Antigua 215SSO

Comment

Interesting thread. Here's our story for what it's worth:

The week after we retired over 18 years ago, we moved about 90 miles north of the Tampa Bay area to a nice small town. We have 6 acres and built a 20x41' RV port for our 5th wheel. Used that as home base and traveled to all 49 states and several Canadian provinces over that period. And, since 2010 we have been taking extended cruises to several parts of the world. We were tiring of RVing and planned on giving it up in a couple of years. A little over a year ago at an RV rally, while investigating an AC problem on our fifth wheel, me and the ladder unexpectedly met the asphalt and I broke a couple of bones and have a new elbow. The ladder wasn't hurt. I'm healed now but that incident accelerated our exit from RVing to where we traded the rig and F350 dually for a new F150 crew 4wd early this year.

Over the course of our RV travels we often gravitated to N GA and SW NC with visions of getting the proverbial 'cabin in the woods'. That proved more difficult than we expected with home inspections killing two cabin deals. This summer we stumbled across a townhouse just outside of Murphy NC. While a townhouse was not on our radar we took a look, liked it, and bought it. Townhouses are hard to find in that part of the country. We liked that there would be no outside maintenance and we just have to lock the door when we come back to Florida. This is a test for us. We plan on staying there for a month or more at a time during all seasons and still keep Florida as primary residence. That way we can find out if we like the townhouse/condo style of life and the southern blue ridge area as a seasonal escape from Florida summer heat and humidity.

Depending on how things work out, we may look for a home (not a cabin) in the western NC or north Georgia area and make that a summer residence. At some point we may sell the Florida house and get a condo in Florida to maintain that state as our primary residence and stay closer to the grandkids. We also like our spot in Florida because we are equidistant to two major airports (Tampa and Orlando) which gives us some flight options when we travel. Access to health care as we get older also will play a part in our plans.

Looking back, it's amazing how two gung-ho RVers have transitioned to cruises and townhouses. I have to say we don't miss RVing like we thought we might. As the saying goes: Life is what happens when you're making plans. Don't know how it's going to work out yet but it's all part of the adventure.

Good luck with wherever your adventure takes you!
        Dave & Jo Ann
        2008 HitchHiker Champagne 35LKRSB (gone)
        2011 Ford F350 Dually (gone)
        2019 Ford F150 5.0 Lariat crew cab 6.5' box

Comment

Originally posted by fivercamper View Post
          Interesting thread. Here's our story for what it's worth:

The week after we retired over 18 years ago, we moved about 90 miles north of the Tampa Bay area to a nice small town. We have 6 acres and built a 20x41' RV port for our 5th wheel. Used that as home base and traveled to all 49 states and several Canadian provinces over that period. And, since 2010 we have been taking extended cruises to several parts of the world. We were tiring of RVing and planned on giving it up in a couple of years. A little over a year ago at an RV rally, while investigating an AC problem on our fifth wheel, me and the ladder unexpectedly met the asphalt and I broke a couple of bones and have a new elbow. The ladder wasn't hurt. I'm healed now but that incident accelerated our exit from RVing to where we traded the rig and F350 dually for a new F150 crew 4wd early this year.

Over the course of our RV travels we often gravitated to N GA and SW NC with visions of getting the proverbial 'cabin in the woods'. That proved more difficult than we expected with home inspections killing two cabin deals. This summer we stumbled across a townhouse just outside of Murphy NC. While a townhouse was not on our radar we took a look, liked it, and bought it. Townhouses are hard to find in that part of the country. We liked that there would be no outside maintenance and we just have to lock the door when we come back to Florida. This is a test for us. We plan on staying there for a month or more at a time during all seasons and still keep Florida as primary residence. That way we can find out if we like the townhouse/condo style of life and the southern blue ridge area as a seasonal escape from Florida summer heat and humidity.

Depending on how things work out, we may look for a home (not a cabin) in the western NC or north Georgia area and make that a summer residence. At some point we may sell the Florida house and get a condo in Florida to maintain that state as our primary residence and stay closer to the grandkids. We also like our spot in Florida because we are equidistant to two major airports (Tampa and Orlando) which gives us some flight options when we travel. Access to health care as we get older also will play a part in our plans.

Looking back, it's amazing how two gung-ho RVers have transitioned to cruises and townhouses. I have to say we don't miss RVing like we thought we might. As the saying goes: Life is what happens when you're making plans. Don't know how it's going to work out yet but it's all part of the adventure.

Good luck with wherever your adventure takes you!
          Good to hear of your transitions. Funny how we all get older and start thinking about the next page. We are also thinking about ours and have a few friends who took the condo route to areas they used to camp or part time. Lynda's step father passed last month but her mother is still keeping us close as she is 90 with dementia and in a assisted living facility near us. Our time will be coming soon. we have already started talking about locations.
          2011 Jayco Eagle 351RLTS, MorRyde hitchpin
          06 F350 Lariat PSD CC,LB,SRW, 3.73, EGR delete kit,Timbrens
          16K DrawTite, LineX
          His and Hers Ocean Kayaks, TST TPMS
          Elle and BJ

In the past:
          97 27RKFS SB
          04 30RKFS SB Titan

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of your today." Will Rogers

Comment

Such a comfort to read these stories...

2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"
            sigpic

Comment

Have a quick listen to this video before making up your mind Jeff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3JkAe-KC2c
              wiredgeorge Mico TX
              2006 F350XL 6.0L 4WD Automatic 2002 Keystone Cougar 278EFS

Comment

Originally posted by wiredgeorge View Post
                Have a quick listen to this video before making up your mind Jeff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3JkAe-KC2c
                One of my all time favorites!!

2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"
                sigpic

Comment

I lived overseas in various world capitals most of my adult life and we came home in the early 80s because I was afraid my young girls wouldn't know what it meant to be an American. We live in Maryland, just outside of DC (College Park). Once I had a taste of it and learned it wasn't appealing nor were the kiddos in a good environment, I wangled a transfer to Texas after carefully exploring my other options (several).

We moved to San Antonio and purchased a modest home in a nice neighborhood but we began thinking of getting out into the country some and purchased acreage about 35 miles from San Antonio. We can see the stars at night, coyotes sing us to sleep and the piggies harass me by knocking over landscaping stones and rooting through lava rock from the bird feeder HIGH above (I put the bird feeder at 8' to keep the squirrels and racoons out), Well, it kept the racoons out hehe.

The dogs bark at the foxes and piggies at night and drive us crazy but I kind of like to be able to wander around outside in my drawers if the urge takes me. We live on a country road (dead end) with four other families and can't see any of them from out property.

San Antonio is creeping out our way and traffic out on the main road which fronts my property (a bit over a 1/4 mile away) is getting more and more and they stuck some of those huge electrical towers for high voltage transmission up along that road where I can see them. We have thought about moving away a bit but the thought of moving all our junk (a lot of it is business related) makes it kind of hard to consider. I believe Texas is the best place we have ever lived.
                  wiredgeorge Mico TX
                  2006 F350XL 6.0L 4WD Automatic 2002 Keystone Cougar 278EFS

Comment

Working...
                  X