Quilts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quilts

Sewing in the camper is going well. Yesterday I finished a twin size quilt for one of my nieces. The quilt top is made with 2 1/2 inch strips of flannel material that I have left over from other children quilts that I made last year. I got the idea from sewing a jelly roll quilt for my daughter for Christmas. The binding is in pink and the backing has pink and purple flowers.
    Now it is on to the next quilt.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MA71; 01-25-2013, 09:09 PM. Reason: attaching photo

Cute!

I love the happy faces!

I have a friend who has been quilting for many years. Her son, who is now in his first year in college, still has the very first one she made for him when he was about seven. He has a stack of others, but that's the one that's always on his bed.

Z
    Dan & Zerelda Hammer
    Pensacola, FL
    SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
    2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

I just saw the quilt in person; the picture doesn't do it justice! It is absolutely adorable and perfect for a little girl. Mary has also started a beautiful quilt in beach colors. She is definitely a talented lady.

Comment

Quilted Chair Runner

Since my chair runner will be quilted, I guess I can put it under the quilts topic.

I have always wanted to put something pretty in my chair to protect it a little. Right now, I have a cheap throw there since the dogs seem to migrate there when I'm not in my chair. Back in November, I found a nice little sewing shop and bought fabric to make a quilted runner. I've been working on it a little here & there, whenever I have time, and today I put the narrow inner border on it. I don't have the fabric for the wider outer border or the backing yet. That will have to wait until we get back to Pensacola. Not that I will be too busy - it's just that there really isn't anywhere close to go fabric shopping right now.

I've attached pictures of my progress. I took two pictures because the two halves are different. Since the center square is multi-colored, I focused on the pinks & purples going down one side, and the blues & greens going down the other side. It's hard to see in the picture, but the narrow border is a very light shade of green. When I get ready to take a picture of the finished project, I think I might find a better light source so the colors show up better; these pictures really don't do it justice.

I've already got two other projects started, and lots of other ideas rolling around in my head. It's so much more fun now that I have the time to work on them.

Zerelda
        Attached Files
        Last edited by JEBar; 01-06-2014, 05:01 PM.
        Dan & Zerelda Hammer
        Pensacola, FL
        SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
        2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

Sideways Pictures

I'm not sure why the pictures turned sideways...but you get the idea.
          Z
          Dan & Zerelda Hammer
          Pensacola, FL
          SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
          2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

Both are beautiful pieces--my wife had a friend make a Texas-themed cover for the bed that gets a lot of compliments.
            Can't imagine the amount of work to create one...
            Joe
            '05 36 TK3 Mobiles Suites
            '09 F450 4x4--put out to pasture
            '10 F450 4x4--new to me
            First wife, back to 3 Yorkies
            Livin to go campin
            In the past: SB 26FK; 30FKS

Comment

Originally posted by rvduo View Post
              I'm not sure why the pictures turned sideways...but you get the idea.
              Z
              took care of the pictures for you .... beautiful indeed

Jim
              Jim
              '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
              '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
              '04 Sea Pro 180DC
              '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
                took care of the pictures for you .... beautiful indeed

Jim
                Thanks, Jim. I'm chomping at the bit to get to the fabric store, but I'll have to wait until next week when we get to Pensacola. Dan said that the runner is going to be too pretty to put in the chair and sit on.

Zerel
                Dan & Zerelda Hammer
                Pensacola, FL
                SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
                2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

I have done a couple of the jelly roll quilts for babies this past fall. I didn't think to post pictures. Both were for little boys so had prints in blue and green with trucks, trains, etc on them. They turned out pretty cute.

Comment

Beautiful work!

I have to get my wife to post on here, well, because I can't post quilt pictures, it's a man thing.

Not sure if any of you have heard of quilts of valor, but my wife makes all the approved ones and has given them away to returning vets and one to me that I have no idea what to do with but it's my favorite gift of a lifetime.
                    here is a link:
                    Welcome To QOVF
                    2016 Jayco Pinnacle 36 RBTS
                    2016 F350 DRW, Lariat
                    B and W Companion hitch

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox, Silken Lines and Silver Hooks, 1954

Comment

Quilted Chair Runner Finished

My chair runner has been finished since we were in Carthage, MO, and I should have posted it before now. I posted the two halves quite a while back. The first picture is from when I was working on stitching the binding on the back, which is done by hand. The silver clips, which you women will recognize as things we put in our hair in the 60's-70's. However, they make great clips for holding fabric - and no getting stuck with pins. The second picture is my new chair with my runner. It was an experiment more than anything, but it's a lot nicer than that cheap dime store throw that's been in my chair all these years. A friend of mine did the quilting because I just got a new sewing machine in January, and I didn't know how to use the quilting feature then.

Zerelda
                      Attached Files
                      Dan & Zerelda Hammer
                      Pensacola, FL
                      SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
                      2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

I just finished this quilt for my newest great niece, Leia Hai. I think it is kind of cute. I couldn't get but one piece of Minnie Mouse fabric so used the pastels with it. I dredged through my memory bank of high school home ec and made my own bias tape to finish the edges.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Cute

Cute quilt! Did you use jelly roll strips, or did you cut your own strips?

I started a quilt for my daughter Rachel, and I decided to try using a jelly roll. But I would have been better off choosing my own colors and cutting my own strips. I wouldn't have near the "waste" (since no fabric is really wasted), and most of my strips would have been cut more precisely. I have noticed that some of the strips have slight curves to them in the center, which happens sometimes when strips are cut when the fabric is folded. I am making an X'x and O's quilt (by Jenny at Missouri Star Quilt Co) - queen sized for their bed, and I thought having the strips would make it easier. When I get the O's done, I'll choose a contrasting fabric for the X's.

I have several projects going right now, but I am going to have to learn how to use the quilting feature on my sewing machine to quilt the Christmas tree skirts I'm working on. I'll have someone else do the X's & O's quilt. It's too big for me to do in the rig.

Zerel
                          Dan & Zerelda Hammer
                          Pensacola, FL
                          SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
                          2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

I got my own stuff and cute the strips myself. When I do this I have a pattern of putting the strips together initially and am always surprised at the finished thing. I am a novice at this, Mary (MA71) is the expert. I have only done 3-4 baby ones while she has done several big ones.

Comment

I have some antique quilt I bought from an elderly lady and they are in disrepair.
                              Wife don't have the talent to put them together again.
                              Would like to find someone local that is able to do that type thing.
                              Lee & Mamie http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_Msigpic
                              Buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own
                              04 - 2500 Chevy CC Silverado - D/A
                              07 - Tahoe LTZ w/tow package,
                              16K Pullrite Super Slide
                              2006 Excel 30RSO
                              All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

Working...
                              X