No announcement yet.

Quilts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lee, some communities have quilting clubs. Check for one in your area and they can take care of this for you

Comment

Lee, Just north of Hugo, OK is a quilt shop that does the restoring. I don't know the name of the shop but believe it is a lady's first name.
      The person who told us about it - passed away last month - so I can't ask. I know she had several old quilts restored perfectly.
      We have one that we received as a wedding gift 44 years ago that needs restored in spots. But my wife is busy creating new ones for our kids and grand kids. She had the five grand kids done ( full size for each one) and is currently working on our son and DIL kings size. Then plan to do our daughter and SIL a king size.

Comment

Chair Runners

I guess our run-away data problem started before I got a chance to post the picture of my completed chair runner.

I'm also attaching the topper to Dan's chair runner. Now I have to put the sandwich together and quilt it.

Zerelda
        Attached Files
        Dan & Zerelda Hammer
        Pensacola, FL
        SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
        2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

Picture Help

Okay --- someone tell me how to change the orientation of Dan's chair runner.
          Z
          Dan & Zerelda Hammer
          Pensacola, FL
          SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
          2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

Originally posted by eldermike View Post
            Beautiful work!

I have to get my wife to post on here, well, because I can't post quilt pictures, it's a man thing.

Not sure if any of you have heard of quilts of valor, but my wife makes all the approved ones and has given them away to returning vets and one to me that I have no idea what to do with but it's my favorite gift of a lifetime.
            here is a link:
            Welcome To QOVF
            Looks good Mike.
            As a kid i grew up around my mothers friends doing the quilts & braided rugs.
            I still like them.
            I like to use the smaller quilts on the back of my chair.
            Some time back bought some things at an auction, and on thing was a quilt folded tight in a plastic bag.
            To my surprise when I got home and opened the bag, the quilt seams were apart in several places.
            Mamie says she can sew, but I have never seen her do so. The girls do borrow her machine though.
            I need to find a quilting bee around here someplace, if I ever want to get this together again.

Lee
            Lee & Mamie http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_Msigpic
            Buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own
            04 - 2500 Chevy CC Silverado - D/A
            07 - Tahoe LTZ w/tow package,
            16K Pullrite Super Slide
            2006 Excel 30RSO
            All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

Here are three of the quilts of valor that wife made. I think one of these photos is before long arm is applied.
              Attached Files
              2016 Jayco Pinnacle 36 RBTS
              2016 F350 DRW, Lariat
              B and W Companion hitch

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox, Silken Lines and Silver Hooks, 1954

Comment

Flag

Here are three of the quilts of valor that wife made. I think one of these photos is before long arm is applied.
                LOVE the one on the left!
                Z
                Dan & Zerelda Hammer
                Pensacola, FL
                SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
                2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

Those quilts are beautiful! What a lot of work they involved.

Comment

The quilts of valor are registered patterns and I understand that some of them ard very difficult. Kaye made one for me, its the first one in pictures and the other 2 for son in laws one of which is active duty, he is pictured in the bottom picture. Both son in laws were/are special forces with Stephen with 14 years and 3 combat deployments. What I am trying to say here is he has well earned the honor.
                    2016 Jayco Pinnacle 36 RBTS
                    2016 F350 DRW, Lariat
                    B and W Companion hitch

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox, Silken Lines and Silver Hooks, 1954

Comment

X & o

I am also working on a quilt for my daughter. We always sign our correspondence with X's & O's, so I thought this quilt was perfect. I just laid these blocks on the table, but if you look at the last one, you can see how the square makes the O in between the X's.

Zerelda
                      Attached Files
                      Dan & Zerelda Hammer
                      Pensacola, FL
                      SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
                      2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

I prefer the one on the left as well, but all are really nice.
                        Thank your SIL for their service from us all here.
                        Thanks,
                        Lee

The quilts of valor are registered patterns and I understand that some of them ard very difficult. Kaye made one for me, its the first one in pictures and the other 2 for son in laws one of which is active duty, he is pictured in the bottom picture. Both son in laws were/are special forces with Stephen with 14 years and 3 combat deployments. What I am trying to say here is he has well earned the honor.
                        Lee & Mamie http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_Msigpic
                        Buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own
                        04 - 2500 Chevy CC Silverado - D/A
                        07 - Tahoe LTZ w/tow package,
                        16K Pullrite Super Slide
                        2006 Excel 30RSO
                        All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

Lap Quilt for Dan

I am always juggling several projects at once, and for very good reasons: first, I need good daylight to sew at my machine (at the dining table - recently dubbed The Craft Corner). Next, sometimes I get to a point at which I can't continue on a project, so it helps to have something else to work on. I also work on different kinds of projects, such as cross stitch, or crochet. So when I'm in my recliner, I can work under my Ott light, even at night, and see what I'm doing for those kinds of projects. So, because I am at a standstill on my daughter's quilt (I need a place to lay out all of the blocks - queen size), I have been working on a lap quilt for Dan. It's called a Disappearing Nine-Patch. The short version is that long strips (about 40") are sewn together, and then cut into strip sets, in this case, 5 1/2". That make it look like you've sewn a bunch of squares together, when you really haven't. Then three strip sets are stitched together to make the Nine-patch block. I wanted to make this quilt as random as possible (which is very hard for me because I like order), so even many of the Nine-Patches are different. The next step is to make the block "disappear" by cutting in half in both directions, and then laying the resulting blocks out in whatever pattern (or randomly) that is pleasing to the eye. I've posted some of the steps (the strip-sets cut from the long pieces is pictured out of order), and two pictures of the layout, one in color, and one in black/white. The colored one isn't very good, but the lighting up in the bedroom area isn't very good either. The B/W version shows the contrast in the quilt. I didn't discover, however, that I have two similar blocks next to each other at the bottom, so I will have to change those out. But I have a few extras to trade out. I am ready now to stitch the rows together. Then I'll add the dark border (to match the backing). I won't be able to quilt this one myself; it's too large for my table. So I'll be sending it to a woman I know in Kansas City who does incredibly amazing work. I'll post the finished quilt when I get it bound. I have no deadline, so I don't know when that will be.

Zerel
                          Attached Files
                          Dan & Zerelda Hammer
                          Pensacola, FL
                          SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
                          2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

All of these items make my contributions looks quite puny! But I am working on a quilt for the newest baby on my side. He/She is due at the end of February so I am starting to run out of time. I am embroidering animals and such for the blocks and then will put it together using a denim look fabric. I think I will try the feather stitch again when I finish it off. I did one for one of the other little ones and it turned out cute. I will post a picture of the finished product.

Comment

Originally posted by MGBar View Post
                              All of these items make my contributions looks quite puny! But I am working on a quilt for the newest baby on my side. He/She is due at the end of February so I am starting to run out of time. I am embroidering animals and such for the blocks and then will put it together using a denim look fabric. I think I will try the feather stitch again when I finish it off. I did one for one of the other little ones and it turned out cute. I will post a picture of the finished product.
                              I can't wait to see it!
                              Z
                              Dan & Zerelda Hammer
                              Pensacola, FL
                              SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
                              2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

This is the little quilt I did for my sister's new grandchild--due any minute. We don't know the gender so I had to use as many different colors as I could. Some of the lighter colors don't show up and there is actually more to it than I got in the picture.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X