No announcement yet.

Which Steel is Best

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been using the new Buck with 5160 BOS Carbon Steel for a couple of weeks .... per Buck :

420HC Steel
    This is Buck's standard blade material because it approaches the wear resistance of high carbon alloys while delivering the corrosion resistance of chromium stainless steels. Add our exclusive heat-treat process and you have a very user-friendly combination of superior corrosion resistance with excellent strength for wear resistance and durability. You also have a blade that is easy to resharpen. For best performance we harden to a Rockwell hardness of Rc 58.

5160 Steel
    Commonly known as spring steel, 5160 has excellent shock absorbing properties making it resilient to shattering and extremely durable as a knife steel. We harden to 57-58 Rc to maximize its performance.

I have noticed a few things :

1... I can't tell any difference in sharpness, edge retention, or sharpening

2... I can't tell any difference in performance

3... the only difference I can tell is the 5160 tarnishes quickly where the 420 retains its new shiny finish

bottom line :

based on owning 2 420's and now having a 5160, if I ever order anther, I'll go back with the 420
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Doesn't take a genius to figure out which seems to work better. Thanks for trying it out and letting us know.
      Clif and Millie
      Mabank, TX (sorta)
      2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC
      2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler

Comment

1095 steel is old school carbon steel but it is common in straight razors because it can be sharpened beyond where most blade steels begin microscopic break off at the edge. Some steels can be frustrating because no matter how you try they will not get scary sharp. 1095 is used in wood plane blades and such. You have to oil it.
        2016 Jayco Pinnacle 36 RBTS
        2016 F350 DRW, Lariat
        B and W Companion hitch

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox, Silken Lines and Silver Hooks, 1954

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
          420HC Steel
          This is Buck's standard blade material because it approaches the wear resistance of high carbon alloys while delivering the corrosion resistance of chromium stainless steels. Add our exclusive heat-treat process and you have a very user-friendly combination of superior corrosion resistance with excellent strength for wear resistance and durability. You also have a blade that is easy to resharpen. For best performance we harden to a Rockwell hardness of Rc 58.

5160 Steel
          Commonly known as spring steel, 5160 has excellent shock absorbing properties making it resilient to shattering and extremely durable as a knife steel. We harden to 57-58 Rc to maximize its performance.

UPDATE

I've now been using the Buck with the blade made from 5160 for just over 3 months .... while I like a good looking knife, my carry knives aren't for looks, they are work knives .... in the pictures below the tarnished 5160 blade in larger 110 Folding Hunter can be seen next to the 420 steel blade in the smaller Buck that I've carried for several years .... they both perform well but the 420 most certainly retains a better look .... I do plan to keep and use the 110 but I have no interest in buying another Buck with a 5160 steel blade
          Jim
          '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
          '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
          '04 Sea Pro 180DC
          '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Working...
          X