Smith's 8-Inch Diamond Tri-Hone Bench Stone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith's 8-Inch Diamond Tri-Hone Bench Stone

after much thought and a good bit of research, I decided to take a good look at Smith's 8-Inch Diamond Tri-Hone Bench Stone .... a few years ago when one of our sons moved away from home, he took my Arkansas stones and other sharpening stones .... that was fine, over the years he'd gotten really good at using them .... with them being gone I had a good reason to look for replacements .... I quickly came to realize that there were a great deal of different systems on the market which resulted in more choices .... as time passed I tried first one system, then another .... they all would sharpen a blade but none did as good of a job as using a series of whet rocks .... consequently, I now plan to still use some other sharpening systems on some of our cheaper knives but I decided I want to go back to using stones to sharpen our good knives .... to find a good set of stones that I can pass on down the line should be simple, nothing seems to be simple anymore .... now days they have many different types of stones .... they come in many different sizes and shapes .... in the end, I decided to go a bit on the modern side of a classic set of hones .... Smith's 8-Inch Diamond Bench Stone seemed to fit the bill .... it is a tri-hone system with a coarse diamond(325 grit), fine diamond (750 grit), and Natural Arkansas stones (~1,000 to 1,200 grit) ===> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1<=== its a bit more expensive than I like but then, now days, what isn't .... I thought it would be fitting for the first knife to be sharpened on it to be my Buck 110 Folding Hunter .... secondly, my smaller Buck pocket knife, and thirdly, the blade in my Leatherman .... they all three quickly went from being pretty dang sharp to shaving sharp .... the two bucks worked well but the handle of the Leatherman doesn't lend the blade to work well with the stones .... I hope to spend a good bit of time over the next few day regaining a sharpening grip on knives so as to maintain a proper angle ... I must admit that it is larger than I anticipated but I do think I'm going to like it
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

in the last three days I've sharpened several knives on the above Bench Stone .... it is, without any doubt whatsoever, the finest set of whetrocks I have ever owned or used .... together the coarse and fine diamond stones can really move some metal .... the Arkansas stone can take the blade from there to a very sharp edge .... bring in a razor strap and shaving edges are a reality
    Jim
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

I do a little wood carving and most of my friends use a strop and compound like these to keep a sharp edge on their carving tools. Diamond stones like yours are used to get a tool sharp initially and then seldom if ever.

Huh, my link didn't take. Go to menu, sharpening, grindes etc. and scroll down to the strop and compound.
      When shopping around for "green" honing compound, we learned a few things. First, the green color comes from the dye the maker uses, so all the different grits of rouge bars look different. Second, all green rouges are not alike. Even this maker makes two
      Last edited by bobbidonb; 10-05-2017, 03:07 AM.
      Bobbi, Don, and Vinny & Kaiser
      2007 Sunnybrook 33CKTS
      2013 3500 Silverado, long bed dually [SIGPIC]

Comment

agree with the use of the stones .... unless I do something to really mess up an edge, I don't anticipate using the course stone often .... the fine diamond will be used for a few strokes then the Arkansas stone followed by a barber's leather strap
        Jim
        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Working...
        X